Thread: Skate Park

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Skate Park

The other day I was unable to ride at my local trails due to wet conditions. I decided to take a cruise around the neighborhood rode by the local concrete skate park.

I ended up spending over an hour riding stairs, ramps, small jumps and drops. Not as fun as an actual trail ride but it was a nice alternative!

mtbr member
    It's cool how that was a nice alternative for you and it was even an option. A couple years ago when I was in HS and heavily into skateboarding me and my friends got kicked out of every street spot imaginable, just like a generation of skateboarders before us. The city would never build a freaking skatepark and then when we helped raise money for one the city handed that over to the YMCA who bought ramps without any skateboarder input and put that sh*t on a slick gym floor. It took one kid busting his head open before the bureaucracy bull sh*t train of endless paper work to skate took off with none of us on it resulting in us continuing to get kicked off the street. To this day no skatepark and god knows what happened to those ramps.

/rant

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Seems like skate parks used to be common in just about every town around but because of excessively loud cursing, vulgar spray painting, general vandalism, and the general habit of using skate parks as an alternative to the town dump, town after town is shutting them down and selling off the equipment. What is it about skate parks that seem to invite this type of disrespect? The ball fields, the playgrounds, the sprinkler parks none of them seem to take the trashing that the skate parks do.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Re: Skate Park

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyWilliams View Post
    Seems like skate parks used to be common in just about every town around but because of excessively loud cursing, vulgar spray painting, general vandalism, and the general habit of using skate parks as an alternative to the town dump, town after town is shutting them down and selling off the equipment. What is it about skate parks that seem to invite this type of disrespect? The ball fields, the playgrounds, the sprinkler parks none of them seem to take the trashing that the skate parks do.
    I, for one, have never ever heard rich adults excessively loud and drunken cursing, physically fighting, spray paint or lighrer burning the benches because it was funny at the time, or drunken burn scars in the field, or drunken rich oilmen selling coke to each other at any baseball diamond during a company rivalry recreational league game in high end neighbourhoods. Never, ever...And NONE of them have EVER been busted with hookers and coke. Its really, seriously uncommon. And none of this EVER occurs at hockey rinks either.[/End sarcasm]

I live in a ridiculously wealthy city with more multi-billion dollar oil company headquarters than you can shake a stick at, and this **** goes on at games in posh neighborhoods all the time.

I wonder what it is about overly rich, self absorbed, entitled, alcoholic, drug and power abusing adults that is ruining our neighbourhood recreational spaces.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    We have a ton of skate parks around here, pretty much all of them free. Not to mention the huge Vans one that does bike nights Tues/Thurs/Sun from 6-10. So much fun and relatively cheap. $7 on the weekdays, $12 on Sunday.