mtbr dismember

Simple trail ~ VIDEO ~

It was a spectacular day yesterday at Glory Hole, in the foothills of the California Sierras. About 20 miles of hard packed, very fast, rolling singletrack was just what I needed after a five week layoff. With the exception of the Tower Climb, a fairly steep climb with eight switchbacks, nothing is very technical out there. Downhill switchbacks are my weakest skill and I've probably only ever made one of them on that trail. But Bill Porter's recent video inspired me to get out and practice. On the first run I only made one switchback and I was quite disappointed. However, an hour later I discovered my camcorder wasn't on so after riding a couple more hours I went back for more. This time I made seven of the eight, although I had to make as many as four attempts at one. Of course they look as flat as pancakes on the video. Thanks for the inspiration Bill!
    Nothing fancy, just me and the trail. 31 meg, 5:40 long.

Right click to download

Last edited by Wherewolf; 01-24-2004 at 03:49 PM.

rr
    I don't do PC

cool video

looks like a fun downhill and good job on the footage-that was fun to watch!

ballbuster

that looks fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    It was a spectacular day yesterday at Glory Hole, in the foothills of the California Sierras. About 20 miles of hard packed, very fast, rolling singletrack was just what I needed after a five week layoff. With the exception of the Tower Climb, a fairly steep climb with eight switchbacks, nothing is very technical out there. Downhill switchbacks are my weakest skill and I've probably only ever made one of them on that trail. But Bill Porter's recent video inspired me to get out and practice. On the first run I only made one switchback and I was quite disappointed. However, an hour later I discovered my camcorder wasn't on so after riding a couple more hours I went back for more. This time I made seven of the eight, although I had to make as many as four attempts at one. Of course they look as flat as pancakes on the video. Thanks for the inspiration Bill!
    Nothing fancy, just me and the trail. 31 mg, 5:40 long.

Right click to download

I gotta do that ride soon. Good vid. Very rollercoaster!

MTBr ReMember
    Good on ya' Steve...
    I will down load the vid tonite.
    I like your new handle and avatar.

Ride with you when I get a chance.

Tim

mtbr dismember

Dessert maybe?

It's not worth you traveling that far unless combined with another nearby ride. Do Red Hills, a killer ride 30 miles down the road, and Glory Hole would be a nice dessert for you.

Its only 1" on the map!
    Nice Vid, that place looks like it could be a speed demon fest! You look to be a zipping along pretty good BTW. Glad to see the knees are doing well enough to ride.

Bill Porter

mtbr dismember

Very fast

It's really hard packed, roller coaster stuff and I've ridden it at least 100 times. Since I know it so well I try to go a bit faster and use less brake each time. I'm hoping it will give me the confidence to go a lot faster on the Plunge in May. One more ride there next week with imjps, who is recovering from knee surgery, and I'll be ready for Wilder and then hopefully Annadel. I guess that practice stuff really works. I'd never gotten more than one of those switchbacks before.

If you have to ask...

Switchbacks? We got switchbacks!

OK, maybe we don't. I was going to post a link to YetiRider's video of the switchbacks on the San Juan Trail, but his new, improved website doesn't link very well and the SJT video link is stone dead.
    Yeti, if you read this, fix yer link and post the video!

miles
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr dismember

I've seen it

I've seen that video and it is quite impressive how fast you guys went down them. But I have to start somewhere. Remember those outrageous switchbacks at the bottom of the Plunge? Did anyone do all of them?

If you have to ask...

I think we all did

Except for the tricky one with the big rock on the right (see Bill's video) I think we all cleared all of them...

miles

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

yep

Quote Originally Posted by miles
    Except for the tricky one with the big rock on the right (see Bill's video) I think we all cleared all of them...

miles
    the one that had the big rock on the right caused a few issues, and there was another one further down that some poseur on a SS stacked while in the front. Other than that, I think they were all cleaned.

Michael

the vids are active

Quote Originally Posted by miles
    OK, maybe we don't. I was going to post a link to YetiRider's video of the switchbacks on the San Juan Trail, but his new, improved website doesn't link very well and the SJT video link is stone dead.
    Yeti, if you read this, fix yer link and post the video!

miles
    Not sure why it wouldn't work for you. you can't stream so that may have been the issue. I just downloaded it and it worked find though.

yes, it's a PITA since you can't link to an individual page with the new setup. the redirect server I use simply points to the index page. the actual URL of the home page is rather long and confusing so the redirect host is far easier to use. Fortunately, from the index page, you can get anywhere.

But, since you're interested, here's the direct link

I believe

Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    I've seen that video and it is quite impressive how fast you guys went down them. But I have to start somewhere. Remember those outrageous switchbacks at the bottom of the Plunge? Did anyone do all of them?
    and I may be off by one or two, but there are a total of 31 switchbacks on the entire ride although the bottom (or beginning depending on perspective) has the most all in a row. I think there were 19 for the final descent there. I simply backed up the footage in the video from the bottom to allow for enough time to fit the song I chose. I actually cut a few off just from that section. The rest of the switchbacks start a few miles back and they are scattered a bit more than what's in the video.

Michael