mtbr member

Silver components.

Curious if anyone has their bike outfitted with polished silver controls and components?

Ever since Mavic came out with the crossmax wheelset bicycles have gone black on everything.

I'd love to see them!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Just my opinion but the silver (or, more specifically, polished silver/chrome) color of the brake reservoir on XT brakes is really ugly and looks cheap.

Now something like a Chris King hub in silver, now that's sexy.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    Just my opinion but the silver (or, more specifically, polished silver/chrome) color of the brake reservoir on XT brakes is really ugly and looks cheap.

Now something like a Chris King hub in silver, now that's sexy.
    I'll go with that thought process.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    Silver gives a good contrast to dark frames. I'm a fan.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I had a blacked out bike. Bought a silver seat post cause it was all my LBS had in stock and I needed something fast. Looked great and quickly changed everything else over. Unfortunately I moved abroad and had to sell that bike.

Warrior's Society
    I went back to silver rims back in 2007....burned out really quick on the "blacked out" look.

Fortunately Velocity makes most of their rims in silver powdercoat.

I agree that polished/chromed parts look cheap and trashy.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Yep, this bike is mostly silver, although some is polished and some is not. I like it a lot.

Silver components.-imag0122.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Not to be a retrogrouch, but I'd love to see the finish from the original XTR m900 group come back out. One of the best looking silver finishes ever produced.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'm curious what you guys have in mind when you talk about the cheap looking silver parts. I agree that if we're talking about plastic bits, like the aforementioned brake parts, then it doesn't look that good. But I picked up some of the limited edition silver Easton Haven bars, mostly because they were cheap and fit the size/rise I was looking for, but I think they look pretty sweet. Been considering getting a silver (probably thompson) seatpost to match.

Although now that I think about it I haven't seen many bikes that I like the look of silver/white/light colored rims on, so maybe it's just a personal preference thing?
    Crappy cell phone pic of my shiny bars on my old bike:
    Attachment 977399

mtbr member
    My second mountain bike, a Cannondale M700, purchased in 1993 or so, had a lot of silver. Wheels, spokes, quick releases, stem, handlebar, brake levers, seatpost binder, cranks, chainrings, seatpost, etc. The only thing not silver was the frame, saddle, pedals, gripshifters (original adopter, thank you), and my RockShox Mag21.

That was right around when everyone was bolting on purple anodized everything onto the bikes -- from derailleur pulleys to canti brake cable hangers (peace-sign shaped!). I was too cheap to replace a perfectly good part with a purple version so I stayed stock silver.
    Yeti ASR-5
    Niner One 9

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I have a factory murdered EPIC minus XTR brakes, stem cap, and a few rainbow stripes.
    I like it. I would never give up the XTR performance just to get completely murdered.

mtbr member
    I built rims for my 26" with red novatec hubs, black Stans 355 rims and silver DT revo spokes. I really like the look of the wheels, especially the silver spokes. Now, what to do with 1300g stans wheelset in 26"? My Air 9 RDO is built and just waiting to be picked up.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    We use to say if it doesn't go chrome it. However there is a big difference
    between chrome, polished, and silver.

mtbr member
    I've got one of these guys
    Silver components.-salsa-flip-lock-q-r-seat-clamp.jpg
    *Not a real mountain biker

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Slounsberry View Post
    I'm curious what you guys have in mind when you talk about the cheap looking silver parts. I agree that if we're talking about plastic bits, like the aforementioned brake parts, then it doesn't look that good. But I picked up some of the limited edition silver Easton Haven bars, mostly because they were cheap and fit the size/rise I was looking for, but I think they look pretty sweet. Been considering getting a silver (probably thompson) seatpost to match.

Although now that I think about it I haven't seen many bikes that I like the look of silver/white/light colored rims on, so maybe it's just a personal preference thing?
    Attachment 977399
    There's a difference between polished silver anodized aluminum and painted/bead blasted silver finish. I would point to white industries or cook brothers cranks as good examples of polished parts that look really nice MOUNTAIN CRANKS — White Industries. Current shimano parts in silver have a much less attractive unpolished silver finish. I believe getting that high polish finish is time consuming/expensive with forged parts which is why you don't see it as often.

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    That was right around when everyone was bolting on purple anodized everything onto the bikes -- from derailleur pulleys to canti brake cable hangers (peace-sign shaped!).
    I still have my purple anodized peace sign shaped hanger. Since I no longer have any canti mtb's, it has been moved over to my cyclocross bike.
    baker

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Slounsberry View Post

Attachment 977399
    Well some silver rims look cheap. Although Chris King and Salsa make some great looking silver bits. It's all in the polished finish. I don't recall ever seeing a silver rim with a jewelry type of finish like the above manufactures do to finish their products.

Edit: Thomson makes great looking silver bits as well.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 1 Hour Ago at 07:04 PM.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Ended up w/ a silver Thomson post and stem on this one.

Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.