Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Shreddin' in the 90's

6K views 44 replies 38 participants last post by  boostin 
#1 ·
I love this. The hit everything from street, trials, jumps and trail.

#5 ·
This is awesome for so many reasons! Obviously the skills, but also the white cotton t-shirts with spandex shorts, the fanny pack, toe clips, etc. awesome!

I think what amazed me about this video is that the guys climb a mountain and we don't even see them ripping down. The movie just ends showing how great of a climb that was! :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing!

#13 ·
I wanted to post this because it seems everybody gets caught up in upgrading, wheel size, head angles, dropper posts, weight, etc. And then you watch something like this and realize that is IS possible you don't "need' all those crutches.

I am equally as guilty of that, but I do ride my 1986 Rockhopper 90% of the time.

The true point is to stop over analyzing your set-up and go out and shred. I have friends that spend more time nitpicking details of geometry angles and +/- millimeter differences in bar width - than just flowing.

I think this video shows what MTB'ing can be when we don't limit ourselves to fit within riding categories i.e., "I'm a downhiller" or "I'm a XC rider". MTB'ing can be all in one, limited by only your creativity.

#24 ·
I am equally as guilty of that, but I do ride my 1986 Rockhopper 90% of the time.

The true point is to stop over analyzing your set-up and go out and shred. I have friends that spend more time nitpicking details of geometry angles and +/- millimeter differences in bar width - than just flowing.

I think this video shows what MTB'ing can be when we don't limit ourselves to fit within riding categories i.e., "I'm a downhiller" or "I'm a XC rider". MTB'ing can be all in one, limited by only your creativity.
The average mountain biker was more skillful back then. :p Suspension/technology has really allowed people to get away with things you never could with a vintage ride.

You should post that in the VRC, great stuff! Imagine, doing all that on a rigid 21 speed steel framed TREK with 2.0 tires no less! :thumbsup:
We loved it, we live it. :D

#25 ·
Dion, watched that yesterday, and have to say that was awesome. Sure makes some B.S. out of all the crap people insist is necessary these days. The only thing those guys weren't hitting was huge drops, go figure! Thank you for digging it up!

#26 ·
Very cool. I love how they did all that on some old school gear. Of course it was modern gear given the time of the video. Still proves that skilled riders can do quite a lot with simple bikes.

Interesting in that when they did take jumps it was rear wheel down to absorb the load.

From a skill perspective it really makes me want to learn how to do trials.

#32 ·
The music is as varied as the riding. I miss those days of trials riding my XC bike (which was also my everything bike). I can't trials any of my bikes very well any more because the suspension eats it all up (just like everything else).

New technology is good I believe but our dependence on it is far too great, yes.

#34 ·
Here is mine! They definitely dont build them like they used to.
70* HTA and a long wheelbase make for a sweet riding 26er :thumbsup:

My 85 Schwinn Cimarron. Hand brazed/lugged in chicago.

Somewhat modernized with Mavic UST wheels, clipless pedals, XTR v brakes, and 660mm bar

26 pounds! Which is featherlight for 1985 :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.