Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Very cool. I love how they did all that on some old school gear. Of course it was modern gear given the time of the video. Still proves that skilled riders can do quite a lot with simple bikes.

Interesting in that when they did take jumps it was rear wheel down to absorb the load.

From a skill perspective it really makes me want to learn how to do trials.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member

Even older (not better)

A few years ago for my 50th birthday an old super 8 movie of me and the guys in Sun Valley Idaho (1986) was converted to digital you tube:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeast View Post
    They probably flew off a big cliff and died in the making of part 2.

I have really been wanting to improve my technical riding skills I am thinking I need to pull out the old rockhopper and put it back into action. Any better Ideas? Think this is a good idea? I'll be wearing the fanny and cotton tee of course when I do.
    This will get it done and more people should do it. BTW for big drops just watch any trials video and you will see how important suspension is to land a 10' drop. It is absolutely superfluous

mtbr member
    Nice find! Friction shifters! Narly Dude..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shreddin' in the 90's-dsc00027.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Interesting in that when they did take jumps it was rear wheel down to absorb the load.
    That's the way we used to jump our BMX bikes. We ran 100psi in our tires for flatland (ground tricks), but would also hit jumps and drops with that much PSI, so using that old "pedal-off" trials technique helped us land a lot.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    The narrator is speaking about the history of the bicycle.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The music is as varied as the riding. I miss those days of trials riding my XC bike (which was also my everything bike). I can't trials any of my bikes very well any more because the suspension eats it all up (just like everything else).

New technology is good I believe but our dependence on it is far too great, yes.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Howley View Post
    A few years ago for my 50th birthday an old super 8 movie of me and the guys in Sun Valley Idaho (1986) was converted to digital you tube:

WOW! I have ridden up that very same mountain(if that is Baldy pictured). Very cool video, thanks for posting.

Love sun valley! May have to move there and become a bike bum.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Bro Mountainbiker
    Here is mine! They definitely dont build them like they used to.
    70* HTA and a long wheelbase make for a sweet riding 26er

[IMG][/IMG]

My 85 Schwinn Cimarron. Hand brazed/lugged in chicago.

Somewhat modernized with Mavic UST wheels, clipless pedals, XTR v brakes, and 660mm bar

26 pounds! Which is featherlight for 1985

mtbr member
    Wow... what a stem!
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Wow... what a stem!
    150mms of vintageness

mtbr member
    Yep..sick. Riding 1" rigid forks, top mount shifters, canti brakes, tubes, 3x7 drivetrains, bar end, and toe clips....we don't need to stinkin' innovations! This is when I started riding...love it! Just goes to show you don't need a 10" travel bike with a dropper post to get it done.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

Pirate!!!
    So this is where Danny Macaskil got his inspiration.

mtbr member
    Great Video, I couldn't quite shake the notion that those boys on bikes with white shirts weren't somehow Mormon Missionaries

Born With A Tail
    Some of the thoughts I had while watching this were-
    -They looked completely normal (for mountain bikers) at that point in time.
    -I remember bringing an extra cotton t-shirt in my backpack so I could change into a dry one at the top of the climb
    -those guys are badasses
    -think how silly the pajama style, flat brimmed hats are gonna feel in 20 years when they see pictures of themselves, especially considering how ridiculous current fashion looks right now. I guess you could say that about people putting all that "product" in their hair to make it stand up as well.
    -I never have dreams where I'm flying, but sometimes I dream I can ride a wheelie and manual like them.

Thanks for the cool video.
    Tequila tonight, tomorrow we ride!

Oni
    Master Of Fooliganism

nice video

Brought back a lot of found memories. Those guys are pretty skilled. Nice to see them doing all that on one bike. And the Scott bash guard bar! Vintage.

Oni

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    So what year did helmets come to be recognized as important? This is asked as a 38 year old having worn a cycling helmet for the first time three years ago.

P

blet drive
    Quote Originally Posted by Howley View Post

howley is that you trying to flip over your bars..
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fastcatfear View Post
    So what year did helmets come to be recognized as important? This is asked as a 38 year old having worn a cycling helmet for the first time three years ago.

P
    It's never too late you know. I started wearing one when I got halfway serious about the sport when I was your age.

Luck plays a role for good and bad.

1, I have a healed skull fracture from a helmetless crash onto concrete at 7 years old. Parents thought it was just a concussion and didn't bother with the hospital.

2, I know two guys who are f&*ked from a bicycle crash (dirt jumping) and MC road racing. Both were wearing helmets and both went into comas. When they came back they weren't the same guys anymore, and not for the better.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    That vid makes me want to get out and play on my bicycle more than most of the shred vids out these days!

Cool find and yes throwing the rear down to cushion the landing is standard fair for sketchy BMX / DJ action.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2