Plan #123-D

Shout-Out To Trail Builders and Maintainers

Just wanted to post a shout-out to those of you who build and maintain the trails we ride. Without you, our "passion" would be severely limited to gravel roads. Thanks for spending parts of your weekends trimming and chainsawing so that we have great trails.

I rode the new section of Cam-Rock a few days ago...Capital Off-Road Pathfinders, you guys improved an already really nice piece of singletrack.

So, to CORP, and all you other builders and maintainers of trail. A huge thanks from those of us who ride and can't always be there for the reroutes and general maintenance days - you all are the reasons our passion keeps going.

Thank you.
    C'mon lets go for a whirl.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Being relatively new to this type of 2 wheel riding I can say I've been out a few times helping our local club build new trails and maintaining some existing ones and it is Hard work.

Though very rewarding.

I am actually attending an IMBA Trail building class tomorrow morning and then heading out to one of my favorite single track parks and doing some work with them....Nice!

Des(s)ert Rat

Off the back...
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThumperGary View Post
    Being relatively new to this type of 2 wheel riding I can say I've been out a few times helping our local club build new trails and maintaining some existing ones and it is Hard work. Though very rewarding.
    I am actually attending an IMBA Trail building class tomorrow morning and then heading out to one of my favorite single track parks and doing some work with them....Nice!
    Congratulations on getting involved in trail building! You will find it incredibly rewarding. The IMBA classes are fantastic and the sustainable trail techniques they teach do truly make a huge difference.

There are trails built by the WPA/CCC in the 1930s with strict attention to grade and drainage that are still in use today.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Right there with you guys. The people that build/maintain these trails bring endless joy to riders.

Dex
    mtbr member
    Yea!
    I enjoy getting out and helping maintain our local trail(s)
    30 miles of mostly single track in a remote area demands a lot of hard work and man hours
    to keep the trails in good condition.
    Kinda funny, when I go buy lawn equipment/tools, it isn't for lawn care it's for trail maintenance

Here is the "trail work" photo album on The Nox's FB page.
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3.248358499244

Currently in the process of building the last "new" trail to The Nox Trail System.
    The Slashing Dog Trail.
    Images to answer any questions as to why the name.

Noxubee Hills Trail System's FB page
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Noxube...8499244?v=wall

mtbr member
    May 2011
    either the dot is trying to shut down our trails or somebody's in the woods cuttin' pines for fun. The other day I came across three down pine trees, all chainsawed and fallen directly on top of a local trail. Fortunately even without a chainsaw on me, I could break and clear away enough branches to plot a new line through and after an hour, the trail was running again.

On our 50+ miles of renegade trails in town, this is the time of the year requiring the most maintenance. the blackberry briers and poison ivy are growing like crazy, and all the storms are dropping logs and trees left and right. There's a sweet spot for the number of logs you have to find your way over, and this year, we got a little past it. Fortunately one guy has a small chainsaw he rides with(but not everyday) in his backpack!

Over the Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by PretendGentleman View Post
    either the dot is trying to shut down our trails or somebody's in the woods cuttin' pines for fun. The other day I came across three down pine trees, all chainsawed and fallen directly on top of a local trail. Fortunately even without a chainsaw on me, I could break and clear away enough branches to plot a new line through and after an hour, the trail was running again.
    Nice, turn that tree into a skinny and thank the feller for the feature.

Dean

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Heading out tomorrow morning for my first trail building experience. Can't wait. Been wanting to help out for awhile.

Dinner for wolves
    Quote Originally Posted by aperzigian View Post
    Just wanted to post a shout-out to those of you who build and maintain the trails we ride. Without you, our "passion" would be severely limited to gravel roads. Thanks for spending parts of your weekends trimming and chainsawing so that we have great trails.

I rode the new section of Cam-Rock a few days ago...Capital Off-Road Pathfinders, you guys improved an already really nice piece of singletrack.

So, to CORP, and all you other builders and maintainers of trail. A huge thanks from those of us who ride and can't always be there for the reroutes and general maintenance days - you all are the reasons our passion keeps going.

Thank you.
    Big, big up the trailbuilders/maintainers in the Philly area.

What can be said about these volunteers besides "Thanks"? I have built up quite a karmic debt to these folks.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    The new video North Shore Extreme 10 by Todd "Digger" Fiander has a cool 22 min video at the end which shows before and after videos of his work redoing the "Ladies only" trail on the North Shore. It is pretty amazing to see what he builds and how he does it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thank you for appreciating all the hard work and the raging case of poison ivy comes along with building and maintaining trail. Can't type anymore, need to go itch...
    CAMBr West
    Gives us a couple bucks and we'll give you some trails with sweet jumps and stuff.

BM and PQ Trail Rep
    How do you celebrate the last day of school?

TRAIL WORK!!!

We started opening up a local connector that has become very overgrown from the last two years of rain and not a lot of use.

The nice thing about a larger family is all the extra sets of hands helping out. Granted it takes A LOT of direction and repeating, the work still gets done faster than alone. Besides, as a dad, if you don’t have anybody to yell at, it just ain’t fun!

The crew heading out for the 2+ hours of work.

Unless you know, this is not an easy to find trail. We worked for a few hours last weekend on it and made about 100-150 yards of progress. Today we were aiming to double that.

We started off simply enough, just some small brush clearing and practicing our skills.

About 20 yards up the trail the brush got a lot thicker. Where there was once a trail that I have ridden many times, we found this…

Not having heavy lifting abilities, we decided against tread work. We were just brush clearing for the day.

With a lot of work and sweat, we made some headway. Now the short section looks like this…

Another section. Before….

After, showing her mad pruning skills…

In all, we got the 150 yards done, clearing brush back about 2 to 3 feet depending on the location. It was not easy work.

I justified the width since this is not a route that has seen any TLC that I know of, and it may be a while before it sees it again. There is still easily 500-600 yards more that is ridiculously overgrown so a few more days will be needed.

This was my good karma for today. We are heading home to go swimming.
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Well my wife and I did the IMBA Trail Building class yesterday morning and went out in the afternoon for a reroute of a trailhead at my favorite place. The couple putting on the class was very knowledgable and enthusiastic. It was a great class. I think I was the only person trying to write down everything they said. But that's me....

Now they are married and travel all over putting on training classes and riding the local trails. What a great job. I think she said they traveled 35,000 miles last year.

At the park, we took out the trailhead and disguised it like there was no trail. Very cool. I was amazed when we got done. Another trail was cut in parallel to it. We completed all of this in about 2 1/2 hours. Good Times - get out there and help if you can.