Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Should I trust this stem?

2K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  LyNx 
#1 ·
On a whim, I picked up this shorty stem at Performance. JFR's been running one similar to this (with a little more reach), so I thought, hell, for $20, I can at least try it on my next ride. Lo and behold, it was fantastic! My bike handled much better- going into turns, I felt more confident, thru rock gardens I wasn't fighting the bars as much and I was in an upright position, which seemed to help my breathing.

So- my question is, should I trust my teeth to this cheap Delta stem? As you might be able to tell from the pic, there are only 2 bolts on the faceplate, and that worries me a bit. I didn't have any trouble with the bars twisting yesterday, so that may not be an issue.

I guess maybe another question would be- does anyone else make a similar stem that won't break the bank, with maybe a tad more reach and a couple of extra bolts on the faceplate?

Yes, it looks dorky. Do I care? A little. :rolleyes:

Thanks,

fp

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
I can 2nd the Salsa SUL

Finch Platte said:
On a whim, I picked up this shorty stem at Performance. JFR's been running one similar to this (with a little more reach), so I thought, hell, for $20, I can at least try it on my next ride. Lo and behold, it was fantastic! My bike handled much better- going into turns, I felt more confident, thru rock gardens I wasn't fighting the bars as much and I was in an upright position, which seemed to help my breathing.

So- my question is, should I trust my teeth to this cheap Delta stem? As you might be able to tell from the pic, there are only 2 bolts on the faceplate, and that worries me a bit. I didn't have any trouble with the bars twisting yesterday, so that may not be an issue.

I guess maybe another question would be- does anyone else make a similar stem that won't break the bank, with maybe a tad more reach and a couple of extra bolts on the faceplate?

Thanks,

fp
But i also bought one of these and its been fine.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...rand=&sku=6218&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

#7 ·
Wow.

Simpleton said:
I have one of these:

http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=SM8727

It has "an interlocking groove that removes torsional loads from the clamp bolts." I like sitting more upright, too - It helps my neck & it also seems to make it easier to weight/unweight the front end. The stem comes in several lengths. And it's only 25 bucks!
They have a shload of stems on that site, don't they?

My concern is that lot of the pics don't match the description. Fer instance, they said this is a 120mm stem. :eek:

Thanks,

fp

Attachments

#8 ·
Given your stature.....

Finch Platte said:

Thanks,

fp
.......I would think a couple degrees down & out would suit you just fine too, and might eliminate the dork effect you speak of. Problem might be the budget. ALso, how'd that fork work out for you? That wasn't a good enough excuse to leave the SS home, was it??
:confused:

#9 ·
Trust is very fragile. Stems shouldn't be. I mean, it'd always be nice to know that if you trust a stem, the stem would be just as willing to trust you not to break it. I guess the real question here is whether or not YOU can be trusted. Well, can you? Why do you Californians get so emotionally involved with your equipment?

#10 ·
Yeah.

JMac47 said:
.......I would think a couple degrees down & out would suit you just fine too, and might eliminate the dork effect you speak of. Problem might be the budget. ALso, how'd that fork work out for you? That wasn't a good enough excuse to leave the SS home, was it??
:confused:
That's what I'm looking for. I found a Weyless at Supergo for $10 to try the down & out size, but they won't let me check out?!?!? :confused:

Fork's a beauty. Yup, it was a good enough excuse. I'm not in good enough shape at the moment to ride the SS (lower back ow ows).

fp

#11 ·
I have something that may work...

Firstly, I wouldn't worry about the ghetto stem. It should be fine. That said...

I have a 110mm x 15* Thomson sitting in a drawer in my workbench. If that would work for you, PM me and we can figure something out.

And no, I haven't paid two bucks for an ad, and I appologize in advance for the spam, but I don't care if I sell it or not although I'd prefer to see it go to one of ya'll fer cheap rather than have it collect dust.

#12 ·
Thanks, but...

Rocket Reducer No. 62 said:
Firstly, I wouldn't worry about the ghetto stem. It should be fine. That said...

I have a 110mm x 15* Thomson sitting in a drawer in my workbench. If that would work for you, PM me and we can figure something out.

And no, I haven't paid two bucks for an ad, and I appologize in advance for the spam, but I don't care if I sell it or not although I'd prefer to see it go to one of ya'll fer cheap rather than have it collect dust.
...the Thomson I took off there is close to yours- 110 by 5*.

Appreciate the offer tho. Maybe we can offer a special deal to someone who would want to buy both? :rolleyes:

fp

#14 ·
I try to avoid using welded stems as you really are relying on the welder to not have been hung over when he did your stem.

I use Thompson & RF stems, but if cost is a factor, my wife is using one of the Supergo Weyless M8 stems on her XC bike with no problem.

80, 90, 100mm available for $16

https://www.supergo.com/profile.cfm?LPROD_ID=20956&lmfg_id=262&searchtext=&referpage=#

My brother is using a Axiom labelled version of the same stem with no problem also. (Axiom is Norco's house brand.)

#21 ·
Finch Platte said:

Thanks,

fp
If you are looking for strength an no worries go for titec its not $10 but then sell your thomson and have money left over $46 all kind of short sizes with steep rise.
http://www.titec.com/items.asp?deptid=2&itemid=20

#25 ·
Nothing to do with the thread, just your

signature line about the liver caught my attention and reminded me of a local bar's slogan:
I'd rather be a good liver than have one....but that is one ugly little stem, but if it puts you in a riding position that works for you it's all good (and I wouldn't worry about a two bolt stem, many many miles have been put on bikes with single bolt stems with minimal problems....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.