Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    Solo contendre
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,580

    Secret Agent Trail 99 pics

    Todd (tberg) and I headed to Sisters, OR yesterday, about half an hour away from Bend. Trail 99 is a mostly singletrack downhill that is about 20 miles in length and drops about 3000ft. in elevation. The weather was perfect, the air was perfect, the bikes were perfect.

    Todd had his new Push'ed shock on his Turner to test drive (he loves it). He says it feels more supple and efficient than the stock Vanilla RC.

    I broke out the Quasi instead of the Blur since it has more travel. Interestingly, I think the Blur's 4.5" travel absorbs sharp hits better than the 4-bar's 6". The Quasi feels better landing drop-offs though.

    He and I are both trying to get (any) landscaper to work on our yards. They come to look at the property and when they see it won't be a $70,000 job, they never show up again.

    If only I didn't have a damned dental appointment in the early afternoon to blow our plans for a post-ride beers. Good news: no cavities! Bad news: need a new crown.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Nat; 06-25-2004 at 07:25 AM.

  2. #2
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    Solo contendre
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,580
    more pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

  3. #3
    contains quinine
    Reputation: Debaser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,583
    Ripping!

    Looks like a great time.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    341
    Nat, thanks for posting the pics. Glad you were able to still make it to your appointment.
    FUN RIDE!!
    Todd

  5. #5
    mtnjam
    Reputation: ryman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    687
    thanks for the TR, i've been wanting to ride Trail 99 since I started riding in Bend, looks like fun.
    What kind of landscape work are you doing? Need any help? We just got done re-landscaping the yard after taking out sod and putting in garden beds and hauling away about 7+ yards of landscape gravel and rebuilding a fence.

  6. #6
    High Speed Botanist
    Reputation: lswing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    191

    Looks like a great trail...

    nice shots guys. So can you give me some better details of where the trailhead is at? I know sisters ok but have not heard about this trail. 20 miles of sweet single track so you say, dig it. You gonna be at RideFest next month?

    Later

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    341
    The trail head starts at Medow Park. Most people ride it as a shuttle. Take the road that goes up to Three Creeks Campground/Lake. The turn off to the trailhead is about 200 yards after the road turns to dirt. The trail can be a bit confusing if you havn't ridden it before. It's best to have someone show you around. Also the Bend Adventure Map is pretty good at getting you there. Let us know when your around, I'd be happy to show you the trail.

    Not sure about the Ridefest. I'd like to, but it's a busy time for me. Hopefully though.
    Todd

  8. #8
    Tree Hugger
    Reputation: Sasquatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,929
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Todd (tberg) and I headed to Sisters, OR yesterday, about half an hour away from Bend. Trail 99 is a mostly singletrack downhill that is about 20 miles in length and drops about 3000ft. in elevation. The weather was perfect, the air was perfect, the bikes were perfect.

    great pics!! The views are outstanding, but how's the trail? I heard it was a good trail, but I didn't realize it was so long. Is this the trail that heads out Peterson Ridge?? Sorta lokks the same. We rode Peterson Ridge in the spring, parked at the city park and rode 3 blocks to the trailhead. The trail was a gentle climb for about 8 or 9 miles, and then a fun, fast bigring downhill on the way back. The incredible views were similar to yours. I know this trail is in the same area as Peterson Ridge, so is it the same trail, or do they go to the same place?? Hope to make it out there soon to ride, but for the summer, i'd rather be on this side of the cascades. Later, sasquatch
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    341
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch
    great pics!! The views are outstanding, but how's the trail? I heard it was a good trail, but I didn't realize it was so long. Is this the trail that heads out Peterson Ridge?? Sorta lokks the same. We rode Peterson Ridge in the spring, parked at the city park and rode 3 blocks to the trailhead. The trail was a gentle climb for about 8 or 9 miles, and then a fun, fast bigring downhill on the way back. The incredible views were similar to yours. I know this trail is in the same area as Peterson Ridge, so is it the same trail, or do they go to the same place?? Hope to make it out there soon to ride, but for the summer, i'd rather be on this side of the cascades. Later, sasquatch
    Ya, Trail 99 links up to the Peterson Ridge trail via a couple different forrest service roads and completes about the last 3rd of the ride back to town. The top is much more fun than what you saw. It's very steep, lots of little drops, and tons of loose rocks. Very fun.
    Todd

  10. #10
    Ebo
    Ebo is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,730
    Really nice pic's Nat. That sky sure is blue up your way. Glad to see you and Todd hooking up for so many sweet rides. Maybe I can get back up in October before Old Man winter sets in. Off to ride my local stuff. Sure is dry here. Cheers.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    341
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebo
    Really nice pic's Nat. That sky sure is blue up your way. Glad to see you and Todd hooking up for so many sweet rides. Maybe I can get back up in October before Old Man winter sets in. Off to ride my local stuff. Sure is dry here. Cheers.
    Ebo, it would be great if you could make it back up again. October can be a great time to ride here depending on the snow level. We could show you some much nicer trails up high this time. Let us know.
    Todd

  12. #12
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    Solo contendre
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,580
    Quote Originally Posted by ryman
    thanks for the TR, i've been wanting to ride Trail 99 since I started riding in Bend, looks like fun.
    What kind of landscape work are you doing? Need any help? We just got done re-landscaping the yard after taking out sod and putting in garden beds and hauling away about 7+ yards of landscape gravel and rebuilding a fence.
    Do you live in Bend now? Your info says Boise. I'm guessing we'll be going to ride 99 again pretty soon, if you want to join. In fact, Todd is doing so as I type. The more, the merrier.

    I'm doing okay so far with the landscape. It's just taking awhile, especially with my 3 year-old "helping." I'll keep you in mind in case I desperately need help, but I'd hate to ask you to grab a shovel rather than grab your bike.

  13. #13
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    Solo contendre
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,580
    Quote Originally Posted by lswing
    nice shots guys. So can you give me some better details of where the trailhead is at? I know sisters ok but have not heard about this trail. 20 miles of sweet single track so you say, dig it. You gonna be at RideFest next month?

    Later
    No RideFest for me unfortunately. We're expecting another daughter next month, so I really should be around. "Honey, here's some cab fare in case you go into labor. I'm going biking!"

  14. #14
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    Solo contendre
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebo
    Really nice pic's Nat. That sky sure is blue up your way. Glad to see you and Todd hooking up for so many sweet rides. Maybe I can get back up in October before Old Man winter sets in. Off to ride my local stuff. Sure is dry here. Cheers.
    Eric, that'd be great if you could return in the fall. Good times will ensue.

  15. #15
    Trail rider and racer
    Reputation: Trevor!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,693
    Nice pictures. Thats some nice scenery for sure...

    Even better are the trails I bet....
    Trev!

  16. #16
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,277
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Todd (tberg) and I headed to Sisters, OR yesterday, about half an hour away from Bend. Trail 99 is a mostly singletrack downhill that is about 20 miles in length and drops about 3000ft. in elevation. The weather was perfect, the air was perfect, the bikes were perfect.

    Todd had his new Push'ed shock on his Turner to test drive (he loves it). He says it feels more supple and efficient than the stock Vanilla RC.

    I broke out the Quasi instead of the Blur since it has more travel. Interestingly, I think the Blur's 4.5" travel absorbs sharp hits better than the 4-bar's 6". The Quasi feels better landing drop-offs though.

    He and I are both trying to get (any) landscaper to work on our yards. They come to look at the property and when they see it won't be a $70,000 job, they never show up again.

    If only I didn't have a damned dental appointment in the early afternoon to blow our plans for a post-ride beers. Good news: no cavities! Bad news: need a new crown.
    Is this a section of the Metolius-Windigo Trail? (100+ miles end-to-end)
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    341
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy©®™
    Is this a section of the Metolius-Windigo Trail? (100+ miles end-to-end)
    It's listed that it is, but it will take some good route finding skills and use of various FS roads to connect all the different sections. The Central Oregon Adventure Map would help out alot. I believe all the different trails and roads are detailed on it.
    Todd

  18. #18
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,277
    Quote Originally Posted by tberg
    It's listed that it is, but it will take some good route finding skills and use of various FS roads to connect all the different sections. The Central Oregon Adventure Map would help out alot. I believe all the different trails and roads are detailed on it.
    Todd
    I have been on the north end Sheep Springs/Camp Sherman/Black Butte section, part from Bobby Lake to near Charlton Lake (very sketchy - as in hard to follow - and rough) and the south end from Windigo Pass to Crescent Lake. All fun. It does have several miles in a couple of Wilderness areas that are easy to bypass - with a little good navie skills.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: michigantammy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    203

    Beautiful pics!

    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    more pics
    Lovely view of the mountains and trail. I'll have to go back to OR very soon.

    We really miss Oregon. We left Portland in the 80's for job in MI, with an intention to return after a short while, but I guess we just got stuck here.

    Thanks so much for sharing the most gorgeous pics.

    Happy Trails!

    Tammy

Similar Threads

  1. Trail Rage - Jogger pepper sprays two cyclists..
    By Fixeyfreeride in forum Passion
    Replies: 124
    Last Post: 12-23-2004, 05:48 PM
  2. Trail map for N. Umpqua trails - anyone?
    By SLinBend in forum Oregon
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-19-2004, 09:47 AM
  3. NEW trail pics and Bighit/Gemini in Action!
    By TheSherpa in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-01-2004, 09:43 AM
  4. Disciples of trail work
    By General Coonskins in forum Oregon
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-26-2004, 06:20 PM
  5. Disciples of Dirt-Oregon trail work
    By General Coonskins in forum Trail Building and Advocacy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-23-2004, 08:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •