mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Schwalbe Mountain Tires - any gurus?

I'm about to run Schwalbe for the first time this race season since my brand of choice is currently unavailable for a few months yet. I need some guidance on what their compounds are as well as some of the other stuff I see when trying to order them(trailstar, vertstar supergravity, easy, TI, etc.) here's a confusing link: Schwalbe Magic Mary 27.5" Tire > Components > Wheels, Tires and Tubes > Tires | Jenson USA

My first purchase will be exclusively for DH use (27.5), so I'm looking at Magic Mary, but my trail bike could use some new rubber as well..thinking Hans Dampf. Any Schwalbe masters out there? Thanks!

gotta get up to get down
    this info is all over the internet...

PaceStar: Extremely fast XC compound. Easy rolling base layer (base), Fast center (medium), and Grippy shoulders (medium soft).

SnakeSkin: lightweight layer of fabric to protect against sidewall cuts. Perfect for rocky terrain.

TrailStar: Enduro & Freeride compound. Easy rolling base layer (base), Grippy center (medium soft), and Extra-grippy shoulders (soft).

Super Gravity: New 4 layer carcass construction provides support and protection without adding too much weight. The whole tire (not just the sidewalls) features a layer of SnakeSkin fabric to added protection.

DH use you want wire bead and probably vertstar for front, trailstar for back
    Trail use you'll want evo trailstar

Magic mary is a lot different than hans dampf... much more supported side lugs on the MM and different tread pattern entirely, definitely is personal preference. check out the NEW nobby nic while you're at it.