Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Dirt Slinger

Scary experiences

Share your most scary experience so everyone else can feel your heart jump with you!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I suppose you could use the word scary. Not like a gun to your head or a bear attack but the best I have to date, at least while biking. Really thought I would die out there !!

San Felasco : Second trip Observations,questions Long rant

mtbr member
    My wife almost found out I ditched work early to go ride San Tan by myself, trust me when I say THAT was scary as all hell!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcyrus16 View Post
    My wife almost found out I ditched work early to go ride San Tan by myself, trust me when I say THAT was scary as all hell!
    I know what you mean. Maybe thats why I am divorced x 2.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drjay9051 View Post
    I know what you mean. Maybe thats why I am divorced x 2.
    Nah, they just don't appreciate your enthusiasm I have a hubby that is the same way. My biking habit is misunderstood.

Back on topic....
    I scared the hell out of a beaver once, does that count?

b a n n e d
    I watched a friend go over the edge on a very exposed trail and fall a couple hundred feet.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

I build my own.
    which one do you want?
    bear attack (x3)
    cougar attack
    cancer
    4 ex girlfriends and present girlfriend all at the same party
    only one of the bear attacks actually scared me. All the other incidents were just interesting.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Bear attack was one of the scariest experiences, rivaled only by the gf I had at 17 give me the "I'm late" speech..

official eMpTyBRain
    Aside from going over the edge on some steep exposure while trail riding, I was once involved in a highway accident in the rain where my car was hit by a jack knifing big rig which put me into uncontrolled spin and I almost went over the edge of an under pass. That was scary.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Front splitter came off my car at over 160mph. I ran over it with the drivers side rubber, and my life flashed before my eyes as I regained control in an unwanted sway at speed. One of the last times I drove that car.

I don't usually get scared in the moment, moreso afterwords, but this made me drop the Cosbys off quick.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by _Alberto_ View Post
    Front splitter came off my car at over 160mph. I ran over it with the drivers side rubber, and my life flashed before my eyes as I regained control in an unwanted sway at speed. One of the last times I drove that car.

I don't usually get scared in the moment, moreso afterwords, but this made me drop the Cosbys off quick.
    What kind of car? On the track? On the road?
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Ridin' Furry
    My buddies girlfriend stopped taking birth control and did not tell him. Now he cant ride as much anymore.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Almost going over the side of the Big Boulder descent @ D-ville.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    surfing down an avalanche on my snowmobile, being pinned in a class v rapid on my kayak. the grizzly bear and cougar incidents are up there also. Life has been fricken awesome.

Trail Prospector
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja View Post
    which one do you want?
    bear attack (x3)
    cougar attack
    cancer
    4 ex girlfriends and present girlfriend all at the same party
    only one of the bear attacks actually scared me. All the other incidents were just interesting.
    If given the choice, I'd pick a), b), and if one went batshiitecrazy - even c).
    The thought of 4 ex's sharing their pasts with your present is a nightmare bound to create future drama.
    At least the suffering will end, unlike a woman scorned who forever holds a grudge.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    lol!! be careful with the last one mate, you just don't know when it could turn scary!!

Candlestick Maker
    3 events come to mind...

-Landing on my face from an 8 foot drop that I didn't see coming. Pure terror when I saw the drop while sprinting full speed. Screamed like a little girl. My neck is still paying the price 11 years later.

-Decking from 14' while doing some ice climbing without a rope. Thought I might have been paralyzed due to a really weird rush of warmth while laying there with the wind knocked out of me. Was alone and crawled to my jeep. Got away lucky with just a chipped vertebrae.

-A nasty ski accident where I hit rocks at full speed, lost a ski, maintained balance, lost another ski, did a BASE jump style superman and landed on my face. Two torn rotator cuffs, a broken arm, and a messed up chest.

I hope I'm done with stupid/scary stuff like that...
    baker

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Both of these scary stories were from when I was in Desert Storm back in 1990.

1. Me and my buddy were stopped off the road with my 5 ton cargo truck filled with HETT tires (The tires are about 5 foot tall stood up and require a tirelift to mount and unmount as they are freaking heavy as heck). The rear and sides of the cargo bay swung down so you could load the truck with a forklift.

As we were talking, the side of the cargo flipped down and one of those honker tires flew very close to my head as it was flying off the truck. Thank God I wasn't in the direct line of the flight path - would have been ugly.

2. Me, a guy from my platoon, and 2 guys from the 82nd airborne division were in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia waiting for the warrant officer to sign papers for a trailer we were picking up. I was sitting on the curb shooting the bull with the 2 guys from the 82nd and my buddy was checking the tires on the truck out of boredom. An Arab guy walked up and started talking to him and we didn't think too much of it as alot of the locals are curious and never had any issues with them. After a while, the Arab guy pulled out a big knife (the one with the curvy blades on it) and my buddy was pissing all over himself and the two guys from the 82nd walked up to the Arab guy and started beating the tires with 2x4's with extreme predjudice and scared the guy off. I was glad when we left that area - the Arab guy was hollering some Arab stuff and thought he would be back with more than a knife.. Not trying to sound wierd just at that time, it was pretty freaky.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Lost it at about 15-20mph and went full speed neck first into a tree. Walked away with some abrasions and a sore neck for about a week. Right before impact I thought I was going to be in serious trouble...freaked me out quite a bit. Lucked out.
    Signature

Dirt Slinger
    Sorry to not clarify earlier, but biking experiences only! Thanks

mtbr member
    Riding the Portal trail in Moab. Scary but fun in a twisted sort of way, I don't think I would do it again, once was enough.

mtbr member
    14 years old; NBL BMX grands main in Louisville -- can't remember the exact layout of the track as this was a long time ago but it was about 2/3 of the way through the race on probably the second to last straight. I was in 4th and needed to finish in the top 3 of that main in order to finish in the top 5 in my class for the season. Having the brass balls of a 14 year old I decided to make a move to pass the kids in 2nd and 3rd as we were pretty tight, first place was way out in front.

I thought my best chance to make the pass was to crank as hard as I could out of the berm and air the "big doubles" which were probably like an 18 foot gap. Nothing I hadn't done before, just never in a race or on such short notice. The only kid in my class that was airing those doubles all weekend was the kid in first...hey if he can do it I can do it, right? Yeah, not so much. As soon as I was airborne I knew I was most likely done for. Watching the transition as it came closer and closer was one of the scariest moments, on a bike, that I have experienced to this day. Front-wheel-cased the knuckle, as I had a glimmer of hope that I would be able to get the few extra inches I needed to make it with the front wheel and be able to pump down the backside -- trying to avoid yanking the front end and looping out on the tranny if I did manage to make it that way. In hindsight, I probably should have just yanked the front end and dealt with casing it in the rear or trying to save myself from looping out.

So, cased the knuckle with the front end, taco'd the wheel, went OTB, broke my collar bone. Obviously finished last and ended up 6th overall for the season which was great but I really wanted to be top five lol.
    2011 Trance x1

All good things in all good time

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    For those of you who have encountered bears and cougars, what part of the country do you live in?

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by getagrip View Post
    For those of you who have encountered bears and cougars, what part of the country do you live in?
    Here in the foothills of the Colorado Front Range, bears and mountain lions are fairly common. We have both in our neighborhood and out in the trail systems. I've seen bears while riding, but never a mountain lion. They are definitely out there, though, which adds a certain level of paranoia during solo night rides.
    baker

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    had the front tire on my pugsley start bouncing the other day at Wissahickon. I grabbed the brakes & tried to get it under control, only to topple off the edge of an 8' cliff and roll 30 feet down a steep ravine until a tree arrested my fall.
    Crashing my motorcycle at 120 mph was certainly scary, as was passing a guy in turn 7 at BeaveRun/ Pittsburgh International Raceway, only to have him stop accelerating as I was behind him. Hit him and high-sided off of the bike at 70 mph, only to get caught between his rear tire and seat section and dragged another 80 feet or more down the track before I was spit out. I spent 30 minutes in the shower, scrubbing rubber out of my abdomen. worse part was that it was a borrowed race bike... I got a new bike out of the deal, too. Grrrr...
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast