Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Singlespeed Enduro Poser
    Dec 2009

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Save us from the enemy....

ourselves.

Save us from the enemy....-enduro-mountainbike-magazine-e-mountainbike-magazine-trek-powerfly-fs-exclusive-look_-210-780x58.jpgSave us from the enemy....-strava.jpg

mtbr member
    I used to skate. I feel the same way about this as I do about razor scooters and snake boards... vomit.

mtbr member
    Might as well pick up an enduro motorcycle and have more fun.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Friends don't let friends use Strava.

Just say NO to Strava.

and the Trek is a abomination

mtbr member

Re: Save us from the enemy....

Quote Originally Posted by Whacked View Post
    Friends don't let friends use Strava.

Just say NO to Strava.

and the Trek is a abomination
    Felt is doing it too, iinm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad_M View Post
    Might as well pick up an enduro motorcycle and have more fun.
    It would probably cost less than an e-bike too.

mtbr member
    I've owned cars less expensive than dove of my bikes

mtbr member
    I'm going to be really butt-hurt the first time an "on-the-lefter" pinches me off a single-track climb on one. I might take up golf.

mtbr member
    Fingers crossed the electric bikes are excluded from most trails as they're motor-powered and should be under the same category as a proper motorbike...

Gnarly
    Manufacturers won't make them if people won't buy them ... the reality is people are buying them.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Manufacturers won't make them if people won't buy them ... the reality is people are buying them.
    Yeah but I don't think "we" are buying them, meaning the more purist mountain bikers.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by 802spokestoke View Post
    I'm going to be really butt-hurt the first time an "on-the-lefter" pinches me off a single-track climb on one. I might take up golf.
    Here's hoping we'll be fast enough to run them down and give them a nice, "hey, go f**k yourself."

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    People are going to buy them.....just like the avid archer sporting a crossbow.

How about an E-GYM ? that lifts the weights for you or maybe a E-SPINBIKE, very cool concept

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    Fingers crossed the electric bikes are excluded from most trails as they're motor-powered and should be under the same category as a proper motorbike...
    very interesting to see what happens with how the 100's of different jurisdictions respond to this one...
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

mtbr member
    Just when things were getting good...honestly though, mtbr thoughts matter even if only by a minimal amount. I really think the forum should nip this thing in the butt before it gets out of control. Right, TREK? Please, please, for the love of God! Do what's right and leave this on a cyclocross only!!!

Professional Crastinator
    Maybe I'm sheltered, but these e-bike things seem like one item that will actually be a passing fad.

People will try them; people without enough skill or fitness to otherwise ride a trail. Then something will happen and they won't be able to ride them out. What will they do with them then? Call a tow truck?
    Or they will find that everyone is passing them on the downhills because their e-bikes are too heavy to turn or brake using regular bicycle components.
    Or their regular bicycle components will simply fail under the strain.

Lots of things look like a good idea until you give them the real world test. These are not likely to pass the test of real trails and real riding. Their "operational envelope" is small, and their allowed access is small.
    At a long stretch, I could see reserving their use for race marshalls or officials, or maybe even trail maintainers, but not for common use. Ever.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

'Tis but a scratch
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    I solemnly swear, I will NOT buy one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    How much does that thing weigh?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    Maybe I'm sheltered, but these e-bike things seem like one item that will actually be a passing fad.

People will try them; people without enough skill or fitness to otherwise ride a trail. Then something will happen and they won't be able to ride them out. What will they do with them then? Call a tow truck?
    Or they will find that everyone is passing them on the downhills because their e-bikes are too heavy to turn or brake using regular bicycle components.
    Or their regular bicycle components will simply fail under the strain.

Lots of things look like a good idea until you give them the real world test. These are not likely to pass the test of real trails and real riding. Their "operational envelope" is small, and their allowed access is small.
    At a long stretch, I could see reserving their use for race marshalls or officials, or maybe even trail maintainers, but not for common use. Ever.

-F
    You bring up a good point. Mountain biking has always had a potentially dangerous side, but the safety of riding something like that on some of the trails I've been on kinda makes me concerned. Get stranded in the mountains with a dead e-bike, then what? Going faster than your skill can handle, crashing and hurting yourself or somebody else is already a possibility obviously; adding an electric motor and more weight to the equation just seems like it would make it worse. I truly, truly hope these aren't allowed on trails that are already restricted to motorized vehicles, but how is anyone gonna enforce that? I'm guessing they're a lot quieter than a dirt bike or any gas powered vehicle.
    No sir, I don't like it.

mtbr member
    I wonder how the mtn bike components on it will hold up to the higher speeds on rough trails. Seems like it would put downhill bike forces on trail bike components.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Hybrid bikes that recapture energy during braking are coming. They will allow people to ride much longer rides and ride up stuff that would stop them. They won't be "getting a free ride" really, just recapturing energy that would otherwise be lost to heat. No matter what you think, it's coming and people will be riding them. A 65 year old will think it's the most awesome thing and feel like they are 20 years younger.

In regards to the bike above, now people that are too disabled to ride a normal bike have something they can ride. Where do you draw the line? Do those people not deserve to ride trails? Change is inevitable.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    defeats the purpose of riding a bike IMO..... I will stick to pedaling... if I cant pedal I would just drive my beater ford ranger
    97 specialized rockhopper.....$5 garage sale find....rebuild and low buck single speed conversion

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm so glad those things aren't allowed on the trails I ride.

Perpetual n00b

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Hybrid bikes that recapture energy during braking are coming. They will allow people to ride much longer rides and ride up stuff that would stop them. They won't be "getting a free ride" really, just recapturing energy that would otherwise be lost to heat. No matter what you think, it's coming and people will be riding them. A 65 year old will think it's the most awesome thing and feel like they are 20 years younger.

In regards to the bike above, now people that are too disabled to ride a normal bike have something they can ride. Where do you draw the line? Do those people not deserve to ride trails? Change is inevitable.
    Pretty sure any disabled person caught riding one of these things would be in trouble for fraud. Real disabled people would not even attempt to ride anything with two wheels on technical single track. They can't even walk halfway across a parking lot for crying out loud.
    When the chicks at school see how gay we are, they're gonna be all over us.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I don't care about electric bikes. They don't bother me, I don't want one... I don't think I'd care if I see one on the trail.. I dunno, they just don't make me feel anything. If people want to be lazy and take the bicycle out of mtbing so be it. Their loss.

And about disabilities.. There are all kinds of them. You'd be surprised how many people have joint problems but can still ride a bike, but not experience the single track technical trails that we do. But now they can.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast