High Desert MTBer

The satisfaction of tackling that job and getting it done.

Like many here, I really enjoy working on my own bikes, not just for the money it saves me, but also for the satisfaction of knowing that I can do it myself, and I know that it is (usually) done right! I have got to the point where I am comfortable taking on pretty much any job short of major welding or hacking or full wheel building, but this was not the case until yesterday. Brakes have always been a bugbear of mine, and bleeding especially has been something I have tried to steer clear of. I think this was partly due to having a couple of bad experiences bleeding my motorcycle brakes in the past, and also trying to sort out an old set of Juicys unsuccessfully last year.
    So a couple of days ago I wanted to replace a worn out rear CR Mag with a sparkly new XO I got for a great price on ebay, but when I hooked it up, the hose was about 6" too long. Yikes! This would mean cutting, re-barbing and recharging/bleeding the system, and that made me nervous... I hate having a bike out of service for too long tho, and I slept on it, wondering why this bugged me so much. Could it really be that difficult?
    Yesterday I had some uninterrupted time, and I resolved to finally take the bull by the horns. I have the tools to do this, and figured I could only fu*k it up so much!

90 mins later, voila! New brake fitted and working great! Thanks to Youtube and SRAM instruction book, it all went swimmingly! What a satisfying feeling...
    It's all Here. Now.

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Like many here, I really enjoy working on my own bikes, not just for the money it saves me, but also for the satisfaction of knowing that I can do it myself, and I know that it is (usually) done right! I have got to the point where I am comfortable taking on pretty much any job short of major welding or hacking or full wheel building, but this was not the case until yesterday. Brakes have always been a bugbear of mine, and bleeding especially has been something I have tried to steer clear of. I think this was partly due to having a couple of bad experiences bleeding my motorcycle brakes in the past, and also trying to sort out an old set of Juicys unsuccessfully last year.
    So a couple of days ago I wanted to replace a worn out rear CR Mag with a sparkly new XO I got for a great price on ebay, but when I hooked it up, the hose was about 6" too long. Yikes! This would mean cutting, re-barbing and recharging/bleeding the system, and that made me nervous... I hate having a bike out of service for too long tho, and I slept on it, wondering why this bugged me so much. Could it really be that difficult?
    Yesterday I had some uninterrupted time, and I resolved to finally take the bull by the horns. I have the tools to do this, and figured I could only fu*k it up so much!

90 mins later, voila! New brake fitted and working great! Thanks to Youtube and SRAM instruction book, it all went swimmingly! What a satisfying feeling...
    I share the feeling. I just recently learned to bleed my own brakes. For shimanos, its very easy and it is rewarding, and reassuring, to know that they are done right.

mtbr member
    I don't bother shortening them brake lines until its time to bleed them. But then, I don't obsess over how my bikes look or what they weigh like some people do.

Nice job getting yours done though! It is satisfying being able to take care of stuff like that yourself.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I don't bother shortening them brake lines until its time to bleed them. But then, I don't obsess over how my bikes look or what they weigh like some people do.

Nice job getting yours done though! It is satisfying being able to take care of stuff like that yourself.
    There was a very good reason to shorten my line: it was a good 6" too long, and the loop was likely to get caught on something extraneous. Trust me, if I had not have had to do it, they would be a few grams heavier!
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Awesome job. Yeah, I know the satisfaction. Gives me a better feeling too such that I can solve any problem I come up against while out on the trail.

mtbr member

The satisfaction of tackling that job and getting it done.

I actually just got the same sweet feeling of satisfaction about a week ago. Tried bleeding Tektros before and it was just a messy failure... Really terrible feeling considering I've successfully replaced theater cylinder in a Tahoe before... But I finally shortened the hoses on my shimanos and bled them and when I finally pulled that lever an felt how solid it was, ohhhh yeahhhh
    2013 Rockhopper 29- The hot rod fun bike
    2013 Stumpy HT Comp 29- The racin' machine