Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

satan cruz hell ride

who's entering? sounds like great fun. i have no doubt mark weir can ride 6-8 hrs, 10,000' of climbing on a 40lb dh rig. that guy was a pretty gnarly xc racer for a while. maybe he still races around norcal.
    mark weaver
    kuna, id

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by velosapiens
    who's entering? sounds like great fun. i have no doubt mark weir can ride 6-8 hrs, 10,000' of climbing on a 40lb dh rig. that guy was a pretty gnarly xc racer for a while. maybe he still races around norcal.
    I'm curious as to the course. We've put a long ride together like that by combining Nisene with a 3 laps of Demo, but that involves a long fireroad descent (I'm assuming all trails will be legal). You can also string a loop out of Wilder/UCSC/Pogonip and environs, but again, the fun descents aren't legal.

So, whats the course? We'd like to go ride that for kicks and giggles.

Mark's been racing all right. There are plenty of pics and Mark worship posts around here to testify to it.

Sabine

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Downieville?

From what I've read he spends quite a bit of time riding up there.

He was there for Zonic's Gathering last year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigH
    Downieville?

From what I've read he spends quite a bit of time riding up there.

He was there for Zonic's Gathering last year.
    The contest rules state that they will fly the winner out to Santa Cruz, so I assumed the ride would be in that area as well. But I guess that doesn't have to be so.

I don't care about the contest, but if such a loop exists locally, I'd like to go ride it.

Sabine

Ride what you want!!
    I thought it was curious that it required a photo.

george
    Trogs: Too Tough for Carbon Fiber

Seriously ?

So

Who do you think from around this forum would have good chances to keep up with Weir for the whole thing ?

Fourarm ? BV ?

Gui

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Mark Who?

A little help here, who is Mark Wier and why should I care?

Aussie Bob
    It sounds too much like American Idol lol, and who is he a young bald guy who rides well like the wind
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    What exactly is this ride? I lived in Santa Cruz for four years and would never consider any ride around there hell - just brute willpower

ol'guy who says hi &waves

I was wondering......

I recall another ad awhile back refering that Mark Weir had sold his soul to the devil (WTB?)and now this ad campaign with a demonized photo Mark. Can someone explain the reasoning behind this line of promotion?

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003

A freaking bad@ss rider...

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Marx
    A little help here, who is Mark Wier and why should I care?
    He's set the downhill record at Downieville. He's set some other course records... on a singlespeed. He's raced in several 24 hour races including at least one on a co-ed duo team with one of the LunaChix (and camped right next to us at 24HOM last year). And is supposedly just a real cool, down-to-earth guy. Pretty cool in this day and age of specialization to see a guy who does it all. I don't know too much about him beyond the highlight reel, but he seems pretty darn cool... S

Mythical Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by DSR
    He's set the downhill record at Downieville. He's set some other course records... on a singlespeed. He's raced in several 24 hour races including at least one on a co-ed duo team with one of the LunaChix (and camped right next to us at 24HOM last year). And is supposedly just a real cool, down-to-earth guy. Pretty cool in this day and age of specialization to see a guy who does it all. I don't know too much about him beyond the highlight reel, but he seems pretty darn cool... S
    Hmmm, we were camping nearby as well..... Indeed, a bad-ass rider, and he was the one male on a 4 person co-ed team. The WTB/Lunachix rocked day night at Moab last year. I was there with another 4-person co-ed pro team; "The Rio Grande All-Stars", who placed 5th.... out of 5. Lousy circumstances as the ringleader was sick as a dog and turning in terrible laps.

Were you solo? or with another team? We were the folks who put the 'luminarias' (paper bag lantern-things) out next to the course, with a dirt jump and a fire pit.

Incidentally, I entered the satan contest as it sounds like a great time! A heavy bike may be well, heavy, but at least it'll be cushy. The duration and intensity is perfect! Seems like an easy way to get a super-nice bike and a trip out to SC to meet&greet the guys and gals.... and ride with Weir? THAT'd be something to write home about!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Mark is a genuine,

good guy who can & does it all. I'd like to know the route of this ride as well......I do know a couple of all-day rides up there but, uhhh, well... ahem, we wont go there.

banned

"sweet"

Since they used "sweet" in their advertising, I'll pass.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by george_da_trog
    I thought it was curious that it required a photo.

george
    Me too - what's with that? Ugly and/or non-photogenic people need not apply?

Not that it matters to me - I'm suckin' wind after an hour on my 28-lb XC bike...

Do you have to keep up with him?

The way I read it, you just had to finish the ride.

A new release on Mark & WTB team from Sea Otter last year.

http://www.mtbreview.com/hotnews/racing/rpr092.shtml

An interview with Mark from 2003.

http://www.gohuge.com/team/index_team.html

BTW, Mark occasionally posts on the boards.

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewdane
    Me too - what's with that? Ugly and/or non-photogenic people need not apply?

Not that it matters to me - I'm suckin' wind after an hour on my 28-lb XC bike...
    my wild guess on the photo is to eliminate the chance of multiple entries or some such form of security for confirmation. or maybe i'm totally wrong and it's to keep all the ugly ducklings out so they can post a model on their page after the bike is won.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I think in some respect, you have to

to be able to hammer a bit given the variance on ride time and the mileage. If it's "a keep up with me" ride, there's very few if any that would meet those qualifications who frequent MTBR, especially on a 40lb pig.

Since I'll be racing the CreamPuff the next day, I'll have to pass on entering. It's lucky for him, cuz I'd kick his skinny xc racer arse! Heehehehehe... where are you norcal?

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    [QUOTE=glenzx]Hmmm, we were camping nearby as well....

Nice camp set up. Looks familiar.

We were an accidental two-man sport team. The other two bailed a week before the race. I ended up putting in 6 laps. It was a good semi-intro to solo racing - fair number of laps, my buddy had quit by midnight, we had no support whatsoever, I had mechanical issues all night including having to replace my der hanger on the course in the middle of the night. It was still fun, but I don't know if I'll do a third one this year.

Anyway, Mark and crew was right near us with their VW camper. It was cool watching them gearing up to head back out. S

No relation

Sounds like heaven to me.

Maybe I'll enter. Of course, I'll have to find a photo because that's the most essential part.
    Don't you ever, don't you ever, stop being dandy showing me you're handsome.

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigH
    Do you have to keep up with him?

The way I read it, you just had to finish the ride.
    I'd say for the purposes of the competition he would keep up (Slow up) with you rather than the winner having to keep up (Burn out) with him...

Trevor!
    Trev!

Your Customer Sales Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by J.D.
    Since they used "sweet" in their advertising, I'll pass.
    "sweet" is passe and is quicky falling into disuse. "burly" is the new "sweet". D. <- aka The "Hip" Doctor.
    You be you. I'll be riding.

No. Just No. Moderator

The ants are eating my ACL

Duncan"What's the point of going to your grave with perfect knees? They just end up getting eaten by the ants anyway." - Some old guy I met once on a trail.
    Hey D! Do you think it's possible we took off with the guy still sitting on the rock before he had a chance to explain that he was stuck and couldn't walk anymore? Maybe the ants are eating his knees right now...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast