mtbr member
    Aug 2014

santa cruz heckler xc

I found a santa cruz heckler for sale for 600 dollar it has a fox 36 fork and revolution 32 rims and fox dhx air shock is this a good deal
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails santa cruz heckler xc-00l0l_gvafrnqargm_600x450.jpg  

mtbr member
    Probably a good deal depending on condition. Definitely not an XC bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    could you use it for freeride and downhill , and does anyone know what year it would be

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Looking at the rear triangle, I believe that frame is from between ~ 2003 and ~ 2007. That was the first generation of Heckler after it's re-introduction after a few years hiatus.

Those frames are pretty bombproof, albeit a little flexy in the rear. 10 years ago when they came out, plenty of folks used them for light freeriding at the time and they held up to it. I Owned one for three years and it was totally trouble free, the most of any FS frame I have owned. When I sold it, the main bearings were still smooth.

IMO, that was the frame that was at the forefront of what would become the "All Mountain" class of bikes, or at least the one that made the idea seem viable. It was the first frame that really caught on and sold well that lande between XC and FR.

At the time people balked at the low-ish bottom bracket. Now that is all the rage.

Is 600 a good deal? All depends on the age and condition of the frame and components. If everything is solid, I'd say it is a reasonable deal. If it is all ridden into the ground with little maintenance for the past 8 years, probably not.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

backwoods and backwards
    Bike's gotta fit first...

From the pic it looks like the fork and shock are Kashima flavored which dates those to 2011? If the bike still looks like it does in the picture ( pedals aren't trashed, no rub on those cranks ) it's worth every penny.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!