Yappy little dog!

San Diego Sunshine!

Trying to make the most out of my travel schedule, I managed to sneak a couple of days in San Diego, with my friend Chip. He showed me a couple of his local trails. Once again, all I have available in CA is my rigid SS. I don't know why I psych myself out for failure. Every time I ride this thing, I am reminded of the simple fun it brings and how it forces me to be just a little stronger.

We did our day one ride at Sycamore Canyon. He promised there would only be a "little" climbing. Yeah, right!

Dirt road? Huh? Where's the goods?

"It's coming", says Chippy.

After half a climb out of the saddle, which equals a rude morning wake-up, we arrive!

Though I didn't take pictures of the "bumpy" part, suspension might have been a pain reducer.

Chip and his friends were a great group to ride with. If I had just two less rear cog teeth, I would have been able to keep up on the DH. Still, I'd rather have a less painful climb.

I think we did about 18 miles. I could have gone another round, but the heat was starting to turn up.

Day 2 of riding featured another local trail system, Mission Trails. This is a very popular systems as evident by the hoards of cars in the parking lot. Surprisingly, the trail system is large enough to spread out the crowds and provide a ton of fun on expertly built trails. I've ridden quite a few areas in California, and this was the first trail system that seemed to use proper trail construction. It showed in well contoured and sustainable singletrack.

We start with a very relaxed and well graded climb to the top of the canyon. These trails were made for a singlespeed.

The the trails are two way, it was clear that some were designed for up and others down. Mr. Toad was clearly a rumbling downhill, while the Grassy Knoll, a great cruise to the top.

We started early in the morning, but it was a hot day. Temps were approaching 90 by 10:30. But, this was just too much fun!

mtbr member
    Looks nice ... and love the rigid!

SPP
    Rigid.

pin it
    Lovely pics! Looks like pleasant riding temperatures than here in Ontario... a cold front rolled in and we had to pull out our cold weather gear for the ride!

Your post warmed me up
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Ahh, muh back yard trails! Did you do the full preserve loop? The ST downhill out of the upper parking lot is a blast.

There is a way to link the two of those rides. We do two assents in spring canyon, then ride the ridge line connector trail over to sycamore. It runs about 24 miles the way we do it, with options to add 10 or more miles with no trail overlap if desired.

Glad you enjoyed, next time you are down here tell your friend to take you to the kiosk on sunrise hwy up in the lagunas.
    "Bigring, that's deep. ...Well, I suspect it is. I didn't read it."

mtbr member
    May 2013
    It looks amazing. I would definitely want to go there with my mb.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRingGrinder View Post
    Ahh, muh back yard trails! Did you do the full preserve loop? The ST downhill out of the upper parking lot is a blast.

There is a way to link the two of those rides. We do two assents in spring canyon, then ride the ridge line connector trail over to sycamore. It runs about 24 miles the way we do it, with options to add 10 or more miles with no trail overlap if desired.

Glad you enjoyed, next time you are down here tell your friend to take you to the kiosk on sunrise hwy up in the lagunas.
    He did say something about linking them up, but we kept them separate. At mission we did two ups and two downs. If I break down and bring a fully with gears, we'll do something bigger next time.

CEB
    No horse'n round
    C'mon back! Barely scratched the surface! ATT, Cuyamaca 2 Lagunas, Lake Morena (Corral Canyon), Crestridge, Sweetwater.... more to ride in the San Diego SUNSHINE!

^ you missed an important one... Hollenbeck. <3 that ride!!!
    "Bigring, that's deep. ...Well, I suspect it is. I didn't read it."

CEB
    No horse'n round
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRingGrinder View Post
    ^ you missed an important one... Hollenbeck. <3 that ride!!!
    YEAH.... Hollenbeck too!

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by CEB View Post
    C'mon back! Barely scratched the surface! ATT, Cuyamaca 2 Lagunas, Lake Morena (Corral Canyon), Crestridge, Sweetwater.... more to ride in the San Diego SUNSHINE!
    Not in summer! Too Hot! It's gonna be Colorado high country time! Woo Hoo!

mtbr member
    I love Hollenbeck but the poison oak on the decent is really thick right now. Almost looking forward to fall? Lol.
    "El Cajon?, that's the anus of San Diego"

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Did you see any of the boobytraps down there?