bob
    mtbr member

San Diego here I come!

Due to having three small children and work constraints (overtime) I haven't been on any long trips in many years. But not this year, the planets have alligned, the child care is set up, and the plane tickets have been purchased. Not only am I going to Vail at the end of August but I'm also going to San Diego in June.

Any San Diego passionites have any riding suggestions? I may choose to rent a bike instead of flying mine. What about other things in the area to do? How much Arrogant B@stard can I fit into the suitcase for the trip home?

Bob

If you have to ask...

June is a good time to visit

because it is when we have our crummiest weather, but everywhere else in the nation is doing great.
    We get humidity, overcast skies, and the occaisional sprinkle. It's called (I kid you not) "June Gloom"
    Anyhow, bike rentals are available, and everything should be hopefully be open again by then.

There are plenty of other things to do- the Zoo, of course, and the Wild Animal Park. Sea World... anyhow, this is one of the top tourist destination towns in the country. There is a lot to do.

Just don't plan on going to the beach. The weather will be crummy, and the ocean temps will be about 65 degrees or so at best. On the positive side, the beaches won't be too crowded...

miles
    It's 7:09 California time

bob
    mtbr member

June is a good time to visit

Miles,

Thanks for the reply. I'm coming from south FL so rain and humidity don't scare me but 65 degree water? Ouch. What about State parks? Any restaurant or watering hole suggestions? And most importantly, where to ride?

Bob

If you have to ask...

Let's see...

No, the water at the State Parks won't be any warmer at all.

As far as restaurant suggestions, what's your preference? I'd skip the Cuban, as you have had better, I'm sure, but Mexican Taco shops... we have the best.

As far as what to ride, what would you like? What's your personal preference? You know we have hills here, right?

miles

PITY THE FOOL!
    Miles is right about the weather. June sucks for the most part but you may get lucky and hit a sunny strech.

Bicycle Warehouse on Santa Fe St. rents bikes (or so I've heard). They are in the Pacific Beach area. Lots of riding options and hopefully most of the good stuff will be open back up from the fire closures by June. Where to go depends on your likes/needs and your location.

Check out the trail reviews for San Diego. Most of the rides are listed there. Noble Canyon is the best in the county and a don't miss ride if you ask me.

My wife & kids will be out of town visiting family for the last 2 weeks in June so I'll be doing lots of riding at that time. Let me know when your coming and I can show a trail or two.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinkin badges!"

hispanic mechanic

hey now...

Quote Originally Posted by miles
    I'd skip the Cuban...

miles
    wow, i haven't even met you yet, and you're already warning people away from me? ouch!

bob- just like everyone will tell you, there is some decent tiding around here, and maybe with a little planning, someone can find you a loaner bike.

the los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

bob
    mtbr member

Hills???

Hills? What do you mean hills? You're scaring me, first with the 65 degree water temp and now with hills. Only kidding but my climbing skills aren't the sharpest. The most I ever have to contend with are very short, but steep, climbs. As for my riding style I consider myself to be an intermediate rider. I like some technical stuff but I'm no free rider. I'd say any type of intermediate trail or single track ride would be nice..the more scenic the better.

My trip is planned for June 19th through the 25th. I'm staying with freinds but I'm not sure what the area is called. It's near the beach but in some kind of hills. I can e-mail/post specifics closer to the trip date.

The taco stands sound good. How about fish tacos?

Bob

mtbr member
    Damn, damn that America Online survey...

I'm not sure I understood whether the kids are coming. If they are, the June Gloom is excellent for the Zoo (cooler weather = active animals) and the Wild Animal Park.

In terms of riding, even though we lost a LOT of good stuff in the widlfires, there will still be several places you can get great rides in, both close to the coast and further away for "big rides". I don't know about Bike Warehouse renting...I heard they stopped doing it. (Go over to the So Cal section on RideMonkey.com...lot of San Diegans there)

Think about whether you want to get some night rides in...we've got some fun areas for that.

If you have to ask...

Short, steep hills? OK, we can do that.

Let's see- that sounds like Mission Trails to me. No climbs longer than 1/2 mile, but all pretty dang steep.

Intermediate technical skills? Noble Canyon Trail might be a bit challenging, but you might like it.
    I'd recommend Peñasquitos Canyon and Del Mar Mesa, but make sure you have a local guide- otherwise you won't find anything fun to ride there at all.
    Maybe break away a liitle bit and do some Orange County (California) rides. Very little got burned up there... The Laguna Wilderness is fun.

miles

Its only 1" on the map!
    Quote Originally Posted by troy
    Miles is right about the weather. June sucks for the most part but you may get lucky and hit a sunny strech.

Bicycle Warehouse on Santa Fe St. rents bikes (or so I've heard). They are in the Pacific Beach area. Lots of riding options and hopefully most of the good stuff will be open back up from the fire closures by June. Where to go depends on your likes/needs and your location.

Check out the trail reviews for San Diego. Most of the rides are listed there. Noble Canyon is the best in the county and a don't miss ride if you ask me.

My wife & kids will be out of town visiting family for the last 2 weeks in June so I'll be doing lots of riding at that time. Let me know when your coming and I can show a trail or two.
    Bicycle Warehouse stopped rent bikes, but there are several places to rent a MTB in the county. I have them listed on my site. Click on the San Diego Area link, then the Coming to San Diego link at the top of the page.

Ride On,
    Bill

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

Lies you spread

Quote Originally Posted by miles
    Let's see- that sounds like Mission Trails to me. No climbs longer than 1/2 mile, but all pretty dang steep.

Intermediate technical skills? Noble Canyon Trail might be a bit challenging, but you might like it.
    I'd recommend Peñasquitos Canyon and Del Mar Mesa, but make sure you have a local guide- otherwise you won't find anything fun to ride there at all.
    Maybe break away a liitle bit and do some Orange County (California) rides. Very little got burned up there... The Laguna Wilderness is fun.

miles
    Jackson is 3/4 of a mile long!

Penasquitos Canyon and Del Mar Mesa probably is quite close to what he's used to though. rolling power stuff but nothing sustained.

Noble, as you know, is only difficult at certain spots. The entire thing isn't that hard so it's no biggie if you have to dismount here or there.

I've heard that there's only minimal climbing on this thing known as the SJT though. any truth to that rumor? ;-)