Thread: Saddening news

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Saddening news

I'm not sure where would be the most appropriate place to post this but I thought some of you would like to know. I've learned that Paul Morningstar passed away about a week ago in somewhat disturbing but very sad circumstances. He was the man behind the one-guy operation Morningstartools. He was making great bike tools. I did not know him personnally other than a few email exchanges last year when I bought some directly from him. Still he appeared to me as a very kind, generous and good spirited guy.

RIP Mr. Morningstar

In memory of Paul Morningstar / Morningstar Tools

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    This does not describe WHAT the disturbing circumstances were

Quote Originally Posted by nightnerd View Post
    I'm not sure where would be the most appropriate place to post this but I thought some of you would like to know. I've learned that Paul Morningstar passed away about a week ago in somewhat disturbing but very sad circumstances. He was the man behind the one-guy operation Morningstartools. He was making great bike tools. I did not know him personnally other than a few email exchanges last year when I bought some directly from him. Still he appeared to me as a very kind, generous and good spirited guy.

RIP Mr. Morningstar

In memory of Paul Morningstar / Morningstar Tools

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    ok nevermind I googled---apparently he was somewhat addled and had his fears....don't we all. RIP Paul.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I know and it was not my intention to do so as the details can easily be found online. I'm just glad no one(else) got hurt by the devices he had set up. Very disturbing stuff.

mtbr member
    Just saw the news. Very sad. Paul made great tools, and was really helpful to deal with.

Magically Delicious
    I never had met Paul, but had the fortunate opportunity to have spent hours in phone conversations. And an ongoing exchange of emails. My impressions of him were simple and down to earth. A genuine guy that loved the simpler things in life. An enthusiast when it came to bikes and apparently other things too. He was always kind and engaging with advice and support for those who chose to work on their own bikes. Always helpful and always ready to stop whatever he was doing and lend advice or encouragement.

Godspeed Paul
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

Magically Delicious
    bump
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Hi, thanks for writing that...you got him exactly right. He would have never meant to hurt anyone else. Thanks again for posting...
    Shawn (paul's daughter)

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnmstar View Post
    Hi, thanks for writing that...you got him exactly right. He would have never meant to hurt anyone else. Thanks again for posting...
    Shawn (paul's daughter)
    Shawn, thanks for coming here. Those of us who really knew your dad loved the guy. As you know (from our recent e-mails) I never met him in person or even spoke to him on the phone but we must have exchanged hundreds of e-mails over many years. My regret now is that I didn't meet your dad or talk to him on the phone but I can't go back and fix that. That's bothered me deeply over the last couple of weeks. We were great e-mail friends and I'll always treasure that. We shared a similar sense of humor and appreciation of things mechanical. Your dad was, for me, a true gem.

RIP Pablo.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.