Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dubya61 View Post
    Bellingham is a cool college town, and close to Vancouver, B.C., which is not far from legendary BC riding. As far as work, you might look at Costco, they purportedly treat their people decent. If gray skies and drizzle (what's not to like?) get you down, you might consider eats of the mountains -- a town like Leavenworth or Wenatchee. They are on the near east side of the Cascades, so the climate is much different. Spokane, Wa is on the eastern border of Washington, and is in beautiful country with a relatively dry climate. It has a few colleges, Gonzaga, Whitworth, Eastern Wa... COL is fairly reasonable, and Montana and Idaho are at your doorstep. The only potential downside is that eastern Wa is doesn't have much cultural diversity, and does have a significant redneck demographic. Some Spokane expats call it Spoklahoma.
    jW
    Rednecks Rock!
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

gravity fighter
    B'Ham is a cool town with some quirky folks. Really fun riding and a great mountain bike culture. Job market can be tough and wages seem to be low compared to other places.
    Last edited by Mikecito; 01-19-2013 at 11:45 PM.

Ugly As F*ck
    Man I wish someone up there could hook me up with a job, I'm so ready to move and start fresh. I feel like I'm having to put my whole life on hold waiting to move up there with my job in 2014. Mountain biking is literally my one and only passion and I don't even ride here because the trails are so weak and it's really not even mountain biking. Just flat and boring XC trails that you have to pedal your ass off on just to hit 12-15 mph.

I spend my free time drooling over mtb vids online and day dreaming of shredding sweet mountain single track every day.

Can't wait for it to become a reality. You guys that live in mountainous regions are so lucky.

gravity fighter
    It's not some impossible dream to move to BHam. It's a college town, so you can find rentals and roommates. Do you have decent job experience? Network and make it happen (if you're a certified IT Engineering tech support badass, send me your resume)

Ugly As F*ck
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikecito View Post
    It's not some impossible dream to move to BHam. It's a college town, so you can find rentals and roommates. Do you have decent job experience? Network and make it happen (if you're a certified IT Engineering tech support badass, send me your resume)
    I wouldn't care what town, it wouldn't have to be Bellingham. A couple people mentioned it as a good spot with good trails. Another guy said it smelled like fish and wood pulp or something. All I know is it's close to Canada and Whistler, that's a big enough selling point for me. But Olympia looks nice as well, or anywhere in the Seattle area.

You must have missed my earlier posts mentioning that I'm a blue collar grunt worker. I appreciate the offer to help anyway.

I have been at my current job for 5 years, that has to be good for something. I just would NOT want to take a pay cut, moving from an affordable area like Houston to the west coast. I browsed some jobs on CL in the Seattle/Tacoma area and all jobs similar to mine paid less than what I make.

You're right though, it's not an impossible dream. It's just really scary to leave a stable job and venture off into the unknown to places you've never been and not knowing if you'll be able to find a job making more than 8 bucks an hour. I almost quit my job last year to move to Bend, but decided not to after coming to the realization that I wouldn't be able to find work there. At least nothing paying what I make or anywhere close to it.

This is just a frustrating situation to be in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by model worker View Post
    Just moved to Sac from Seattle, One word. Sunshine. That burning orb in the sky is amazing: but if your into playin Hackey Sack in the rain Oly could be good too
    I grew up in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, started my MTB frenzy there - I keep a mountain bike there, because I am going to end up back there, folks have land there.

Living just north of Seattle, I spend a good amount of time pining for the Sierras. There is so much varied trail -hundreds & hundreds of miles. Nothing holds a candle to it here in Washington. Sorry. It is is the nature of the geography, history, relative amount of open State, and Federal land. I also have a love affair with the sun.

Having said that, I would not move to Sacramento. When I move back, it will be returning to an old gold town for me.

Good luck in finding a restart; I wholeheartedly agree with centering your life around your favorite leisure!!!

mtbr member
    uglyguy2, look up J&B Importers and give them a call. Its a bicycle supply warehouse and they "might" have a job. Also try Seattle Bike Supply, same thing. Anyware along the I-5 corridor is a good place to live. Dont know alot of places with trails in town and most of the good ones require a vehicle to get to. There a ton, I mean SH*T TON of warehouse jobs along the I-5 corridor. Look on craigslist.

EMBA Member
    I know nothing of biking around Sacramento, but the number and variety of trails in Washington is great. Something for everyone. The winters can get to be a drag just due to the amount of darkness and rain. I moved here 20+ years ago from San Diego, and I used to tell my old friends back there to picture the 5 minutes in San Diego between when it wasn't raining and when it was raining, you know, that drizzle thing, and then picture living in a place that does that for 3 - 4 days in a row and maybe 11 days out of 14 some stretches in the winter/spring. I tell my brother that rides in the Los Angeles area - if you won't ride in the wet then you won't ride for most of 6 months out of the year in Seattle. On the other hand, the summers here are as nice as anywhere I've ever lived. Then there is the darkness. Seattle is far enough north that in the middle of winter, the sun is rising at 7:58AM and setting at 4:18PM. Along with the thick cloud cover, it is dark when the sun sets and dark for 30 minutes after sunrise. Some people have wintertime depression just because of the darkness. All to say, there is a lot to like about the pacific northwest, but it isn't for everyone. Lately, I've been riding a lot in the 22 - 30 degree range. It's OK so long as you have the proper clothes for it, but when I say it's OK, what I mean is it's still a lot of fun, and the fact that the ground is mostly frozen means the trails that would otherwise be boggy swamps are back in the rotation for a while until things warm up again.

Rogue Exterminator
    I used to live in Oakland and absolutely LOVED it.
    Northern Cali is awesome.
    That being said, it is also expensive.

If I could afford it, I would move back in a heart beat.

Of course, I love Western NC just as much and it is half the price.

Never lived in WA so I can't compare.

gravity fighter
    Oakland is very nice ( I grew up in the Montclair hills) but I sure wouldn't want to live there on blue collar wages. To the OP, check out Samson rope, Blue Sea Systems and Health Techna in Bellingham. Those are some good local companies that have production positions that come up.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikecito View Post
    Oakland is very nice ( I grew up in the Montclair hills) but I sure wouldn't want to live there on blue collar wages.
    I agree

I lived in Jack London Square and my rent for a 1br was $1639 a month. That was almost 10 years ago.

Certainly you can find cheaper places to live, but you can't find cheap places that are worth living in.

Ugly As F*ck
    Here's some Bellingham action:

Video: Lars n Bars Epic Winter Edit - Pinkbike

If weather permits, someone go shred that trail for me since I can't. It looks awesome.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    I agree

I lived in Jack London Square and my rent for a 1br was $1639 a month. That was almost 10 years ago.

Certainly you can find cheaper places to live, but you can't find cheap places that are worth living in.
    Hmm, the cost of living in a lot of places is better than CA. You really have to get out to know and see this. It's not necessarily dramatically better in WA and OR, but it is better, and the further you get away, the more you see this is true. The Bay Area has it's high points, but it's always seemed to me as if the "hey-day" was back in the 1970s and 1980s. They were putting in BART, lots of building, downtown areas were popular, high speed ferries, etc. Look at it today and it looks run down, places aren't popular anymore, and so on. I still like going there and there's still a lot to draw, but IME, Seattle is everything that SF is, without the drawbacks. Infrastructure seems well planned and it seems like more money goes back into the city, parks, development. There is some pretty good traffic and a bustling downtown, yet it seems to not have the same "feel" as the more run-down places in SF. You have more places, islands, etc, that are very accessible, but not crazy overdeveloped and overpopulated. There is green everywhere and not as much has been paved over and built on. I like the riding places around the bay, but it's hard to get from one spot to another. The Pen/Inlet/Sound area is huge, much bigger than the Bay Area. Due to this, I think you can pick and choose more and get a better balance of what you want. You don't have to be fighting it out in the city, which can be hard to avoid in the Bay Area.

I'm usually not one for big cities, but the Seattle area is one that I could do.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Hmm, the cost of living in a lot of places is better than CA.
    I meant cheaper places to live in the Bay Area.

mtbr member
    places aren't popular anymore, and so on.
    Dude have you been to SF at all recently? I like both cities, but my impression of SF from my last visit was completely opposite yours. There's a ton of construction going on downtown, BART is still being expanded, and I could barely get restaurant reservations on weeknights.

That was a month ago though so I guess it could have changed since then.
    definite malingerer

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by grandsalmon View Post
    I grew up in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, started my MTB frenzy there - I keep a mountain bike there, because I am going to end up back there, folks have land there.

Living just north of Seattle, I spend a good amount of time pining for the Sierras. There is so much varied trail -hundreds & hundreds of miles. Nothing holds a candle to it here in Washington. Sorry. It is is the nature of the geography, history, relative amount of open State, and Federal land. I also have a love affair with the sun.

Having said that, I would not move to Sacramento. When I move back, it will be returning to an old gold town for me.

Good luck in finding a restart; I wholeheartedly agree with centering your life around your favorite leisure!!!

Oregon is as far north in the NW as I'd like to go (heck, I live in gorgeous Bend!), but I sure would not mind living for a spell in the Sierra's! I find them magical.

Ugly As F*ck
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    heck, I live in gorgeous Bend!
    You live in Bend? Why are you online and not out shredding the Lair with Carson Storch?!

Man, if I lived half the places some of you guys do I wouldn't even own a computer.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectZero View Post
    Dude have you been to SF at all recently? I like both cities, but my impression of SF from my last visit was completely opposite yours. There's a ton of construction going on downtown, BART is still being expanded, and I could barely get restaurant reservations on weeknights.

That was a month ago though so I guess it could have changed since then.
    Yep, last year. And to be fair, I'd say Seattle's best time was 1990s and 2000s, but it doesn't seem to have declined much since then. The bay area is neat, I won't deny that. It's just that Seattle seems to have pretty much all the same things, traffic not as bad though, pollution not as bad, if you live in some places in the Bay Area you aren't going to see sun anymore than the Seattle area, lots of amazing resources like fishing, forests, Whistler nearby in Seattle, etc. I've fished extensively in the Bay and Ocean, but the Sound takes it to a new level. To get to the Sierras from the Bay Area is ridiculous, in terms of fighting the traffic, bridge tolls, excessive travel time, etc. I'd say you tend to be more "locked in", and you can get out, but it's just more rare and logistically difficult. In Seattle the mountains are "right there". Forests are "hit and miss" in the Bay Area.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Tossin the salad.
    Quote Originally Posted by uglyguy2 View Post
    I have been at my current job for 5 years, that has to be good for something. I just would NOT want to take a pay cut, moving from an affordable area like Houston to the west coast. I browsed some jobs on CL in the Seattle/Tacoma area and all jobs similar to mine paid less than what I make.

You're right though, it's not an impossible dream. It's just really scary to leave a stable job and venture off into the unknown to places you've never been and not knowing if you'll be able to find a job making more than 8 bucks an hour. I almost quit my job last year to move to Bend, but decided not to after coming to the realization that I wouldn't be able to find work there. At least nothing paying what I make or anywhere close to it.

This is just a frustrating situation to be in.

This is a fact that you have to accept if you leave a job here in Texas. Why do you think we’re getting so many more people coming to Texas?

At least here in Austin I notice the traffic is getting much worse as it’s getting crowded IMHO……….. Unfortunately!

The best answer for you is to make sure you have money saved up and able to move to afford the necessity that will be needed to pay the bills, fuel and travel for job interviews.

The only way you are ever going to find out is to
    ------->
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Giant Trance

mtbr member
    [ To get to the Sierras from the Bay Area is ridiculous, in terms of fighting the traffic, bridge tolls, excessive travel time, etc. I'd say you tend to be more "locked in", and you can get out, but it's just more rare and logistically difficult. In Seattle the mountains are "right there". Forests are "hit and miss" in the Bay Area.[/QUOTE]

It takes me 3.5 hrs to get to Truckee from SF, and it costs me 5 dollars in bridge tolls.I've done it 4x this season. I dont think you really know what you're talking about.

As far as Sac, if you have the chance to stay there for part of the year then move to Oly, I would say do it. Sac is pretty cool to visit, I have some buds there and hang out there sometimes for a weekend.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    Wow! Logistically you are "right there" when living in the Bay Area! It just depends when you leave, as with any town. During rush hour or weekends, you need to plan accordingly. I live in San Mateo proper and I can get to choice trails going West on 92 in 20 minutes. Santa Cruz, 1 hour. Marin, 1 hour or less. Sacramento, 1:30 with no traffic. Add 40 minutes to get to Auburn. More than enough dirt for everyone! During the summer, even more riding! When its sunny in Cali, it will be rainy in up North! Check your Farmers Almanac!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post

It takes me 3.5 hrs to get to Truckee from SF, and it costs me 5 dollars in bridge tolls.I've done it 4x this season. I dont think you really know what you're talking about.
    Yep, ridiculous. If you want to get to someplace like Squaw Valley, Alpine Meadows, Northstar, that's 4hrs or more. When do you wake up, 2 am? I couldn't waste so much of my life, unless there wasn't any better compromise.
    Last edited by Jayem; 01-24-2013 at 06:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Yep, ridiculous. If you want to get to someplace like Squaw Valley, Alpine Meadows, Northstar, that's 4hrs or more. When do you wake up, 2 am? I couldn't waste so much of my life, unless there wasn't any better compromise.
    I leave at 0600 and will be on my first chair of the day by 1030. thats is not bad for some of the best skiiing/boarding in the US,

If I left at 2, I could be squaw at 0530-
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

Sacramento
    Last edited by enfyre; 01-25-2013 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Wrong forum

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    I leave at 0600 and will be on my first chair of the day by 1030. thats is not bad for some of the best skiiing/boarding in the US,

If I left at 2, I could be squaw at 0530-
    You said truckee was 3.5hrs, not Squaw. Last I checked, that's down the road some still. Not to mention parking, getting tix, etc. Come on, I realize you like hitting the mountains, and it's great that California has the coast and mountains, but you also live in the bay area, that's reality. 4hrs is probably a better estimate if 3.5hrs is Truckee. Lets not forget traffic, you are heading up when everyone else is.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast