Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Oh yeah, Evergreen State College is in Oly, so that adds a big hippy element and vibe to downtown Oly. To me college/hippy/artsy has a positive impact on the culture.
    jW

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I also believe there are some nice trails near Longview, Wa, about an hour from Olympia. If you can put up with gray and drizzle, I say it's a no brainer.
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Some places on the Olympic Pen are in "rain shadows", like Sequim. Doesn't rain nearly as much there.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Ugly As F*ck
    Well could be a change of plans here since I just found out that I got ****ed (second year running) on my raise. Not really feeling like sticking it out any longer.

Pretty sure I like the sound of Washington as a place to call home. Although if I could pick any city I don't think Olympia would be it simply for the fact that there are no trails in town.

Would I be able to find a job there? I work in a warehouse. I figure I'd need to make 16/hr minimum to survive. That's about what I make here and I'm by no means living the good life.

I sure love the idea of getting out of shithole Texas sooner rather than later. Although I'm scared to death of having to start all the way over in a brand new, unfamiliar place.

mtbr member
    I live in Sacto, and really like it here, but WA is WA, and there is no contest if you like nature, cool temps, nice folks, wild animals that don't live in the zoo, etc.

But Sacto is very liveable, very liveable....

mudhen
    "Lighten up Francis" Sgt. Hulka

squish, squish in da fish
    do it and dont look back. if u dont u will sit there (in texas) & constantly wonder, what if.....WA is calling u, can u hear it?

Mtn Biker Machinist
    I have never lived in WA, but I have lived north of Sac in Wheatland. It was a nice place, but I was 14 and didn't mtn. bike yet. North of Sacramento is a nice area, more rural, quiter etc.

That said, as an adult, I would never choose to live in CA. Cost of living, home prices, bass ackwards laws and the like have made that a state I will never live in. Too bad, because my wife always talks about wanting to live by the beach.

frog

mtbr member
    I don't know. I really love from Placerville over to Tahoe. I've lived in Oregon all of my life, and would love to get some more sun/snow and less dreary ass days. Plus riding, snowshoeing, and 4-wheeling is all real close to Sac. And there's IN and Out.

Although I'm not sure I could deal with the bureaucracy and high-everything fees.

mtbr member
    Here is my two cents on it as if your a single guy with no strings attached. The trails and variety of weather conditions favor California hands down! From Sacramento you have countless trails in El Dorado County, Placer County, Tahoe, Marin, Santa Cruz area and don't forget about Downieville! Everything is from 45min to 2 hrs. Cost of living is nothing compared to SF or LA so putting Sacramento in that range is foolish. I have been to WA and the Pacific Northwest area and the social aspect is much better in Cali. Its more diverse and you get variety, let along more riding days a year. Aside from riding, California girls are much easier on the eyes and there is more to do during downtime.
    Quality of life favors California!

Ugly As F*ck
    So where is THE place to live in Washington state according to you Washington guys? And try not to show bias to your own town just because you live there. Is there one area that stands above the rest as far as mountain biking goes?

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by uglyguy2 View Post
    So where is THE place to live in Washington state according to you Washington guys? And try not to show bias to your own town just because you live there. Is there one area that stands above the rest as far as mountain biking goes?
    If I could live anywhere in WA, it would likely be Bellingham. Good size, cool town, temperate weather, good riding, close to skiing and close to whistler.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sacramento summers are similar to Houston in that they are hot, humid and high in mosquitoes. Aren't many cities in CA I like less. Now SF, SD, Santa Cruz, Arcata are great places but all are expensive.
    There's way more than Whistler near Washington, just be close to Crystal Mountain or Mt Baker.
    But tour CA when you can. There are thousands of great places on and near the coast and in the Sierras, Shasta and much more.
    Besides WA just legalized it.
    If you do move there, embrace merino wool and get a quality cycling rain jacket.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    [QUOTE=abegold;10074326]Sacramento summers are similar to Houston in that they are hot, humid and high in mosquitoes.QUOTE]

Uh....no. Nice try.
    Sacramento summers are nothing at all like Houston. It's absolutely not humid at all and I've never seen a mosquito in the 20 years I've lived here. I lived two years in Miami before that. Now that's a summer you want to avoid at all costs.

jrm
    mtbr member

Well, any place other then Houston

would be quality in life increase. In either place you could continue your education while you worked.

Ugly As F*ck
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    If I could live anywhere in WA, it would likely be Bellingham. Good size, cool town, temperate weather, good riding, close to skiing and close to whistler.
    Bellingham? Sold.

Can someone hook me up with a job in Bellingham?

I have a truck and will shuttle. I don't drink beer but I will buy you some. I will let you smoke some of my weed as soon as I legally purchase some. And oh yeah, girls will run screaming from me and flock to you. It's good to have an ugly guy around.

So yeah. A job.. please.. anyone?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by zgroove View Post
    Here is my two cents on it as if your a single guy with no strings attached. The trails and variety of weather conditions favor California hands down! From Sacramento you have countless trails in El Dorado County, Placer County, Tahoe, Marin, Santa Cruz area and don't forget about Downieville! Everything is from 45min to 2 hrs. Cost of living is nothing compared to SF or LA so putting Sacramento in that range is foolish. I have been to WA and the Pacific Northwest area and the social aspect is much better in Cali. Its more diverse and you get variety, let along more riding days a year. Aside from riding, California girls are much easier on the eyes and there is more to do during downtime.
    Quality of life favors California!
    Um, your ideas about cost of living are suspect. Sure, Sac is cheaper than SanFran or Beverly Hills, but it's also more expensive, especially in many suburbs, than other parts of the US. You need to get outside of CA and experience this.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

I Ride Bikes
    I would prefer Olympia. But of course it's up to you in the end.
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    No contest. The surrounding area of Seattle and the Sound is thousands of times over better than Sacramento.
    The Sound is a thousand times better than the Northern/Central Sierras? Wow ...

Sacto proper is not a place I'm crazy about, mostly due to crowds of people (there seem to be people literally everywhere you go in CA!) and it being in California (with all that entails). But drive an hour or 90 minutes east and you're in one of the most beautiful areas in our great country IMO. Year-round riding in the foothills or west toward the coast, amazing summer trails in Downieville and Tahoe areas, plus access to maybe the country's best lift-accessed riding at Northstar? Sounds good to me. And if you ski or board, the quality of resorts in Norcal is great. For scenery and other adventures, go a couple hours north to the Mt. Shasta area, or a couple hours NW to the Redwoods and the beautiful Norcal/So. Oregon coast, or a few hours NE to the Lassen National Forest. Just amazing places. Again, I'm not a big fan of the city of Sacramento itself, but I think its access to amazing outdoor spots is a significant selling point. If I could live as far east in the valley as possible, I'd go for Sacramento myself.

I grew up in Portland and other spots in the PNW (including 2 yrs in Bellingham -- do you like the smell of fish and wood pulp mixed with mildew?), and let me tell you, if you haven't experienced a PNW winter, you're not missing out. Literally drives people crazy -- when I moved my wife to Oregon from SLC, she would fly back to SLC for a couple weeks in February to get out of the fog (and I would have loved to do the same, but I was stuck in school). Nice places to visit, Seattle is a great city as far as large cities go (haven't spent much time in Olympia), incredible scenery when the fog lifts and you can actually look around. But I would not willingly move back to the PNW again. Gotta have some sun now and then!

**note - I would far prefer either place over anywhere in Texas, though! As places to live for outdoor recreation go, both are far above average compared to the rest of the country**
    Last edited by Tystevens; 01-16-2013 at 02:04 PM.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Um, your ideas about cost of living are suspect. Sure, Sac is cheaper than SanFran or Beverly Hills, but it's also more expensive, especially in many suburbs, than other parts of the US. You need to get outside of CA and experience this.
    That's true. Sac is only cheap by Cali standards. But compared to Texas, anywhere on the I-5 corridor is going to have a higher cost of living. Heck, most places are more expensive to live in than Houston (from all the numbers I've seen, at least).
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Well bashing CA is a long cherished pastime if you live in the US, so I'd strongly suggest visiting both places yourself before making a decision. But if you're not tied to Sacramento, there are many many other places in Cali I would consider first. The thing about cost of living is that sometimes an expensive place is expensive for a reason.
    definite malingerer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectZero View Post
    Well bashing CA is a long cherished pastime if you live in the US, so I'd strongly suggest visiting both places yourself before making a decision. But if you're not tied to Sacramento, there are many many other places in Cali I would consider first. The thing about cost of living is that sometimes an expensive place is expensive for a reason.
    ^ this.

Its a big place, Cali. So many options, and cost of living varies widely. Off the beaten path there are some relatively untapped, amazing trail systems in low key, cheaper areas to live. Not that I know anything about that though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Just moved to Sac from Seattle, One word. Sunshine. That burning orb in the sky is amazing: but if your into playin Hackey Sack in the rain Oly could be good too

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Olympia and Sacramento both suck. Tough call.

mtbr member
    Good riding right outside of Oly..Plan on rain. Constant rain. Not heavy, just there. Oct to July. Compared to TX, don't take this lightly.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Bellingham is a cool college town, and close to Vancouver, B.C., which is not far from legendary BC riding. As far as work, you might look at Costco, they purportedly treat their people decent. If gray skies and drizzle (what's not to like?) get you down, you might consider eats of the mountains -- a town like Leavenworth or Wenatchee. They are on the near east side of the Cascades, so the climate is much different. Spokane, Wa is on the eastern border of Washington, and is in beautiful country with a relatively dry climate. It has a few colleges, Gonzaga, Whitworth, Eastern Wa... COL is fairly reasonable, and Montana and Idaho are at your doorstep. The only potential downside is that eastern Wa is doesn't have much cultural diversity, and does have a significant redneck demographic. Some Spokane expats call it Spoklahoma.
    jW

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast