Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    try driving your car less
    Reputation: jh_on_the_cape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,054

    RX lenses for Smith Sliders?

    I am looking to get some RX lenses for my sunglasses. According to smith:

    Which Smith sunglass models are Prescription Rx compatible?
    The Interchangeable Series offers a highly shatter-resistant, versatile, interchangeable lens system for varied light conditions. The lightweight Grilamid frames with hydrophilic Megol nosepads (with the exception of the Slider 01 model) and temples help keep the Sliders on your face where you need them. Or check out the Lifestyle series, which offers the same features as the Interchangeable Series but has a fixed lens. All lenses are Carbonic and equipped with Tapered Lens Technology and 100% UV protection.

    Select Street and Lifestyle Series models can accept prescription lenses. Starting in late 2004, we will be offering a patented prescription lens program to incorporate the corrective lens in our high-base curve frames. You will be able to insert a +2.00 to -5.00 prescription lens into our selected frames and choose from a number of lens tints and mirror coatings. Stay tuned.


    Well, it's late 2004... even mid 2005 and I cannot find RX lenses for my smith sliders. Any help?
    Only boring people get bored.

  2. #2
    I Just Ride....
    Reputation: mtbbrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    913

    You might try...

    I have a pair of Slider SL2's and use the Sved Optics SPX Insert
    I don't know if they do the particular frame you are looking at but you might want to give them a call to find out.
    They have an toll free number and email to answer such questions.
    Your prescrpition factors into this as well, but they are capable of handling some strong perscriptions.
    Brian
    Artistic Mountain Bike Photography
    My MTBR Gallery
    "I Ride my bike, to Ride my bike...."
    From a Zen proverb

  3. #3
    try driving your car less
    Reputation: jh_on_the_cape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,054
    thanks. but i am really looking for the actual slider lenses that are Rx, not just an insert or additional piece.
    Only boring people get bored.

  4. #4
    jrm
    jrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,165

    Have you called Smith?

    Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    I am looking to get some RX lenses for my sunglasses. According to smith:

    Which Smith sunglass models are Prescription Rx compatible?
    The Interchangeable Series offers a highly shatter-resistant, versatile, interchangeable lens system for varied light conditions. The lightweight Grilamid frames with hydrophilic Megol nosepads (with the exception of the Slider 01 model) and temples help keep the Sliders on your face where you need them. Or check out the Lifestyle series, which offers the same features as the Interchangeable Series but has a fixed lens. All lenses are Carbonic and equipped with Tapered Lens Technology and 100% UV protection.

    Select Street and Lifestyle Series models can accept prescription lenses. Starting in late 2004, we will be offering a patented prescription lens program to incorporate the corrective lens in our high-base curve frames. You will be able to insert a +2.00 to -5.00 prescription lens into our selected frames and choose from a number of lens tints and mirror coatings. Stay tuned.


    Well, it's late 2004... even mid 2005 and I cannot find RX lenses for my smith sliders. Any help?
    Ive bought replacement lenses from them direct with a phone call.

  5. #5
    try driving your car less
    Reputation: jh_on_the_cape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,054
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    Ive bought replacement lenses from them direct with a phone call.
    prescription?
    Only boring people get bored.

  6. #6
    I Just Ride....
    Reputation: mtbbrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    913
    As far as I know Smith does not make any kind of prescription lenes.
    Artistic Mountain Bike Photography
    My MTBR Gallery
    "I Ride my bike, to Ride my bike...."
    From a Zen proverb

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dtmartin46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    262
    If you can't get RX lenses for your existing frames, then you should check these out, i have a pair and they are awesome.

    http://www.julbousa.com/Products/Speed/Sense.htm

    The insert is your prescription lens. Fits on the inside of the nose. The frames come with 3 regular lenses, one high contrast, one reg. sunglass, and one for high altitude/very bright conditions. These glasses have been excellent for MTB'ing for me. They also weren't too expensive. My vision plan at work covered about 80% of total cost. Even if you don't have vision coverage, they should still be way cheaper than most other brands. They are NOT cheap sunglasses, tho. I have taken many a spill with them on, and have not busted them. Also, the lenses snap in very, very securely.

    Check 'em out.

  8. #8
    try driving your car less
    Reputation: jh_on_the_cape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,054

    Zeal Optics?

    Has anyone tried the Zeal Optics prescription system? It looks like what I am searching for.

    http://www.zealoptics.com/
    Only boring people get bored.

  9. #9
    jrm
    jrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,165

    Zeal..

    Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    Has anyone tried the Zeal Optics prescription system? It looks like what I am searching for.

    http://www.zealoptics.com/
    there great folks and the customer service is great. But man are they expensive. Oh and no i didnt buy perscription lenses from smith. Heres the smith phone number..800 459-4903..

  10. #10
    Cyclist
    Reputation: striker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    493

    I want something too

    Let me know what you end up with...

    I'm currently exploring 3 lense, prescription sport sunglasses. I just got a quote for $425 for the Oakly Half Jacket with three colored, rx lenses. A little steep IMO.

    Tim
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

    My cycling photos. Enjoy!

  11. #11
    try driving your car less
    Reputation: jh_on_the_cape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,054
    Quote Originally Posted by striker
    Let me know what you end up with...

    I'm currently exploring 3 lense, prescription sport sunglasses. I just got a quote for $425 for the Oakly Half Jacket with three colored, rx lenses. A little steep IMO.

    Tim
    that's too much.

    i want to try on the zeals first. so next time i am at the windsurfing shop, i will see what they have (they came up on the local dealer search).

    i have a hard time finding glasses that dont give me a headache pinching my head. smith districts are great, so i was wishing for some Rx lenses... but i will try the zeal.
    Only boring people get bored.

  12. #12
    Shreddin the Cul de Sac
    Reputation: Burpee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    477

    Holy Smokes!

    That's some heavy coin!

    When I'm at my optometrist, I just pick out a decent sport wrap (if he has one) and have him cut me some RX lenses. Last time I ended up with a Nike wrap frame with rubber temples and nosepiece. I think it was like $150 after my eye insurance ponied up coverage.



    Quote Originally Posted by striker
    Let me know what you end up with...

    I'm currently exploring 3 lense, prescription sport sunglasses. I just got a quote for $425 for the Oakly Half Jacket with three colored, rx lenses. A little steep IMO.

    Tim
    keep moving

  13. #13
    paintbucket
    Reputation: wooglin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,825
    Rudy Projects are available in prescription.

    http://www.rudyprojectusa.com/produc.../rxinframe.htm
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

  14. #14
    banned
    Reputation: Drewdane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,074
    Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    I am looking to get some RX lenses for my sunglasses.

    *snip*

    Any help?
    I've been looking into this myself. I was hoping to get some Rx lenses for my Voodoo Sliders, but it looks like Smith only offers Rx on the frames posted here: http://www.smithsport.com/products/s...ion_index.html

  15. #15
    jrm
    jrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,165

    Its best to call zeal..

    Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    that's too much.

    i want to try on the zeals first. so next time i am at the windsurfing shop, i will see what they have (they came up on the local dealer search).

    i have a hard time finding glasses that dont give me a headache pinching my head. smith districts are great, so i was wishing for some Rx lenses... but i will try the zeal.
    and talk to them and their optomistrist first hand. Damn that oakley price makes the price zeal quoted me ..seem reasonable

  16. #16
    banned
    Reputation: Drewdane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,074

    Smith Answered my Email

    Here's what Smith had to say:

    Thank you for your email! Smith is in product development on an Rx-able Slider. As with the rest of our Rx program, there will be limitations as to the range of correction we can accommodate, but were excited to be able to provide an Rx solution to Slider and Rimless Interchangeable fans whod like to be able to insert corrective lenses into their favorite active sports eyewear. You will need to check with your optometrist for Rx services for your Slider frame, as we are not able to provide Rx lenses for the Voodoo Slider. Please note that this voids the Smith warranty as we have no control over the process, lens material or selection, craftsmanship, or fit of the lens into our frame. A shop may try to fit a frame that's inconsistent with the severity of the correction and the resulting lenses may warp or stretch the frame.

    Rx sunglasses produced through our own program are warrantied. The lenses are warrantied by the lab and the frames are warrantied by Smith.

    Keep an eye on our website; well be promoting our Rx Slider program when its ready. Until that time, we do offer a variety of fixed lens Rx sunglasses. If you are interested in Smith prescription sunglasses, I've attached an Rx order form for you. You may print this form, fill it out, and fax it to the number on the form to order Rx sunglasses directly from Smith. You will find all of the available sunglass models, frame colors, and lens tints listed on this form. We provide prescription lenses for single vision (no bi-focal or progressive lenses) within the range of +2.00 and -5.00. If you have questions about placing your Rx order, please call 1-800-635-4401 (M-F, 8am to 5pm, MST).

  17. #17
    Cyclist
    Reputation: striker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    493

    here is something to consider

    Rudyproject Exception



    I'm real interested in these. I've given up on glasses with three different lenses, all RX. It's just too much. So now, I'm looking at RX insert lenses.

    The exception looks awesome. The sunglasse lense flips up and/or comes off. So in a pinch, I could were the RX inserts, with frame as glasses.

    One of my riding friends just got a set and is very impressed. I'm currently grilling my optometrist friend to get a good price.

    https://www.rudyprojectusa.com/produ.../exception.htm


    JH, you going to SSWC?
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

    My cycling photos. Enjoy!

  18. #18
    try driving your car less
    Reputation: jh_on_the_cape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,054
    Quote Originally Posted by striker


    JH, you going to SSWC?
    that's the plan.

    i think i am just going to keep riding with fuzzy vision.
    Only boring people get bored.

  19. #19
    Cyclist
    Reputation: striker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    493

    Rudy Project Exception get's two thumbs up.

    I picked up my Exceptions last night and promptly went for a 12 mile ride.

    First impressions: They are pretty darn nice! My optometrist nailed the optical center just right and I actually see better with these than any other glasses I own. I've given up on contacts and consider myself not suited for using them. This was the first pair my optometrist had ever seen and she was very impressed.

    I paid $250 for the set that includes frames, rx insert, three lenses and a nice case. That's a lot of dough for me, but it's nice to actually see everything crisp and clear. I can't wait to try them on the road bike.

    I love the fact that the sunglass lense flips up. I flipped it up just a tad while riding to help with fogging. They did fog only when I stopped and stood around after a big climb or something...otherwise they rocked. I did lose a little peripheral vision due to the rx inserts, but the gain I get from actually seeing properly far outweighs any cons from losing the side vision.

    The case they came with is awesome. It is very sturdy and crush proof and has slots to hold the rx adapter and spare lenses.

    The rx adapter actually fits in the frames themselves like a regular set of glasses and the sunglass lense/flip up thing sits in front of the rx adapter. So, the rx adapter isn't sitting right on top of my eyes but out where it should be. Sweat rolling down wasn't an issue and seemed to roll down my face and not the glasses so much. The glasses never shifted on my head.

    The rx adapter and lenses are all interchangeable, meaning I can pull the rx adapter from the frame and run it just like a set of sunglasses. This is a really neat system and I haven't seen any other manufacturers doing anything like it.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

    My cycling photos. Enjoy!

  20. #20
    Lacticacid head
    Reputation: Capt Tripps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    453
    Quote Originally Posted by striker
    Rudyproject Exception



    I'm real interested in these. I've given up on glasses with three different lenses, all RX. It's just too much. So now, I'm looking at RX insert lenses.

    The exception looks awesome. The sunglasse lense flips up and/or comes off. So in a pinch, I could were the RX inserts, with frame as glasses.

    One of my riding friends just got a set and is very impressed. I'm currently grilling my optometrist friend to get a good price.

    https://www.rudyprojectusa.com/produ.../exception.htm


    JH, you going to SSWC?
    I have the Rudy Exceptions , and set them up with 4 color lenses, I use raceing red alot on the trails, I love the flip up action for riding in dark spots. I actually love these glasses!
    www.lacticacidheads.com
    drop in, spin a spell~
    happy trails~

Similar Threads

  1. Paging 5' 9(ish) med RX owners
    By BarkBuster in forum Titus
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-01-2005, 08:51 PM
  2. Sunglasses question - Transistion lenses
    By Denis in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-30-2004, 05:47 PM
  3. Rx sunglasses - WARNING RANT MODE
    By YuriB in forum Arizona
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-20-2004, 01:39 PM
  4. MTBing and contact lenses?
    By TiGuy in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 06-13-2004, 07:51 PM
  5. Trying to decide between: 80mm or 100mm RX?
    By 1speed_Mike in forum Titus
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-03-2004, 03:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •