Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Running Passion

mtbr member
    May 2008

Running Passion

Is anyone here a runner? I've never been much of one, but now that I have a family I'm seeing some benefits. I do feel it's a bit boring (especially compared to ripping a downhill mtb run, biking the back country or racing some singletrack) but some pros are:

1. I can do it with my family (wife and 4 month old)
    2. It's quick, cheap and easy
    3. It's good for cross-training, overall fitness and weight loss
    4. I can do it more often (in the rain or when the trails are closed)
    5. It's tougher to get seriously injured

Post up any running passion, tips, goals, training programs, etc.

Gotta pay to play
    I run in a pair of SoftStar RunAMoc3 shoes. I normally only run twice a week and think it is great cross training for mountain bike riding. I jog down to my local park (about a mile away) do a set of 5 X 50 yard sprints on the grass, and then jog home. Minimalist running is pretty awesome.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I run for the same reasons you listed. One to two times a week but like you said it's not as fun as riding.

Get to dah choppah
    While it's tougher to get seriously injured, it's very easy to have repetitive motion injuries, particularly if you are not a light weight person. The key is to go to a quality running store and purchase shoes and socks that fit your stride mechanics.

Try trail running. It's more fun, the softer surfaces are generally easier on your connective tissue, and the variations in stride also help to keep you from overuse issues.
    Santa Cruz TBc
    Pivot 429c

mtbr member
    I run 50mpw most of the year, rain or shine(I am so not a treadmill person!). I've been doing it for 3 years now and I really like it. While it is easier now and my body doesn't yell at me to stop like it did when I first started, I don't **love** it like I do biking. But running made me a better biker and biking made me a better runner. Today, I do both(I ran 10 miles this morning and I bike 30 later). And I love dual days(Tues & Thurs). On Saturdays & Mondays, I ONLY run(15-20 miles) and on Sunday, I ONLY bike. Weds and Fridays are rest days.

My tips for getting started:
    Start out slow & easy a few times a week.
    Find a place that interests you during the run so that you don't find it "boring" and it holds your interest(and can distract you when you aren't "feeling it").
    Dress for how you'll feel mid run, starting off cool but getting warm is better than starting off warm and getting hot! I can run forever if I don't get too hot.
    Destinations can be fun to run to/rest at. When my son was little, we ran TO the park and he played for 30 minutes, then we ran back home. He looked forward to the running stroller!
    Watch out.....running can be an expensive hobby! I started thinking it was cheap too.....boy, I spend more on running gear than I do biking(other than a bike complete purchase).
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

Professional Crastinator
    I very much enjoy running - largely due to the fact that most of my fave trails are closed to bikes and it takes too darn long to walk there.
    Last time I ran was about 1 month ago. Trail running, though. I'm finally going out again today. Been riding otherwise. It is a lot like MTB in that you have to pick your line and place your feet without crashing. At the point in the season when my legs are strong enough, I can run a technical downhill at top speed. It is really hard on my legs/joints, but it is really fun. I run the same lines that I would ride, hopping logs, jumping, berms. Although I can run on the tops of the rocks if I need to whereas the bike usu. goes between the rocks.
    Going up is similarly rewarding like MTB, too. Coasting along rolling singletrack is great on foot.

...but it's always more fun on a bike!

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I want to like running but I can never stay at it. I do enjoy running trails moreso than the road or a paved patched but I've also twisted my ankle pretty badly once doing that. For some reason, I get urges to run late a night when it's cool out or even slightly raining and I let the dog out. I really should suck it up and start making a routine of it.

I literally got off the couch years ago and did a Zombie 5K and loved it. Minus the soreness I experienced for weeks lol. I didn't ride then.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I have a love/hate relationship with running. I want to like it, since it is easy out of the door exercise. One of my dogs loves 5-10km runs, so it doubles as some of my dog-walking duty. It's just so very very slow compared to cycling, and the scenery sucks compared to mountain biking. One of these days I should try trail running to see if that suits me better.

IMHO the right shoes are the key to running comfort. Cheap out, wear them too long, or accept a slightly subpar fit, and you're in for a world of hurt (increasingly true as I hit 40).

I ride with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by icsloppl View Post

Try trail running. It's more fun, the softer surfaces are generally easier on your connective tissue, and the variations in stride also help to keep you from overuse issues.
    This. I run trails 2 or 3 times a week. You can get a great workout in less time, the scenery is nice, and your gear can't break down.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I used to run trails 2-3 days a week but I haven't been doing much running lately as I have been spending a lot more time biking. I do plan on getting back to running more in the very near future though. I too find it boring compared to biking but I think it adds to my overall fitness. I HATE treadmills, I feel like a hamster on a wheel on those things. Trail running is about the only type of running I really ever cared to do with the exception of a few 5K races here and there. If you can find a good running partner or a running group to go along with that really helps keep you motivated.

mtbr member
    I was thinking about this on my hike/run today. I have been mtb since the 90s and always have hated running. About three years ago I started trail running and for some reason I love it. Not sure why. It hurts way more than biking even now that I can run 3-6 trail miles without stopping. No downhill payoff like mtbing. It is certainly slower, but what I really love about mtbing-the views, being outside, and aerobic work out-are all there and it's a better core workout. I also hate working out inside, even in the winter. My cyclops is dusty as is my treadmill. Running is less of a hassle. Less gear, easier to do through the winter months. It's still a head scratcher why I enjoy it so much, but I'm definitely catching the running bug.
    Take three hours of single track through a pine forest and call me in the morning.

mtbr member
    I do some trail running, and can say it is a great alternative to mtb. You can do it in way worse weather, very little gear, simplicity, and the great outdoors. I also find it is a nice compliment to mtbing. I can take a few weeks off the mtb and trail run, when I get back on the mtb my fitness feels relatively stable. Riding the bike is more fun, but also takes prep, travel, post cleaning, etc. In the recent IMBA publication, it stated that something like 40% (IIRC) of members also trail run.

-arschloch-
    Apr 2004
    I run the same trails I ride. Running is a much better work out in a shorter time. I can ride for hours and hours, but one hour of hard trail running and I am done.

My trail dogs are a little weirded out by trail running. I think they think I am chasing them...I prolly also sound like I am gonna keel over dead...
    To air is human, to dig is divine.

Happy Trails

Running Passion

600-1000 miles and one January marathon a year. I usually build run and cross-train on the bike from July to December, then switch over to more bike and cross-train running for the early Spring in Arizona. Last week was 5x runs for 23 miles and a three hour trail ride, for instance. And with my work travel schedule, its a lot easier/funner to run than spin in the hotel gym. Running grows on you, but gotta start small. Riding won't make you a strong runner, so my advice for newbs is walk out the front door ten minutes and slowly jog back....three times a week for a month, maybe adding just a few minutes further per week. Build from there. Don't look back.

Happy Trails

Running Passion

Quote Originally Posted by nakedbabytoes View Post
    .... 50mpw most of the year, rain or shine
    r e s p e c t.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I picked up running after last December. I wasn't happy with my fitness level so I started running on the treadmill: running 2mins walking 1mins. A few months later I'm running 4 to 5 mils two times a week. That's something I've never done in my life. I haven't run or rode this month since it's Ramadan plus being lazy at night, but I miss being active. Running and cycling got me in my best shape, and endless fun.

My Experience:
    Don't limit yourself to the treadmill if you're a beginner. It's easier to find your pace and run longer.
    Running outside is more fun, much more.
    It gets easier after the 1st half mile, just get moving.
    Last edited by Mohammedqur; 08-07-2013 at 01:21 PM.
    2009 Stumpjumper Comp HT.
    An old Trek 820 ST.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I started running last october. I was very heavy at 6'1", 282 and it started my weight loss. I was running 5k 3 miles a week and started out very slow and hated it. I picked up mountain biking on the weekends in Jan, have cut my running to twice a week, but now that I have been doing it, I have come to enjoy it somehow. Its mostly that I compete with myself and try to just get better and better. I started out at 15 minute miles, and and am down to 9 minute miles and 220lbs. I think the reason I enjoy it is because of what it has done for me. Still have 20lbs to go for my goal, but I'll get there slowly but surely thanks to the running and MTBing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I was a runner for 30 years. Eventually, due to a combination of age, residency training, weight gain, the death of my running dogs, and weather running became more of a chore than any fun at all.

One day I found myself painfully jogging down a street that I had been down a thousand times and the interest...the passion?...just left me. I stopped. Waited for a bus, and took it home.

Haven't run since.

I mountain bike a lot but it has never become the obsession that running was. Much more laid-back about it. If I get to the trail and suddenly don't feel like riding I go home, no harm done, and it doesn't bother me.

But it is more expensive. I don't think in thirty years I spent on shoes and other running gear half of what one bike costs me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I do some trail running. As mentioned you can do it with the family, like mt biking. The last few weeks I have been going to my 11 yo daughters cross country practice and running with them. Pretty fun. IMO it helps you shed pounds faster then biking, good cross training, and also uses the same eye skills as mt biking.

I do mix up the shoes when running, use a pair of fivefingers or Brooks Cascadias. However, I do like mt biking more.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Started as a runner in high school track/cross country. Started messing up my knees, which led me to road riding--->MTB.

Fast forward a few years...

I far prefer riding, but a good trail run is pretty damn spectacular. Really only reserved for when going out with the wife (runner, not rider) and dog, or when the trails are too gunked up weather-wise to ride.

If shitty weather is happening, a run around the local trails or the neighborhood with the pooch is way, waaaaaaaay better and more satisfying than sitting on my ass or on the trainer/treadmill.

Hell, I'd rather run than ride on the road. My fitness also improves when I run more.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Maybe I'll try some trail running. Never did that.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailuropoda View Post
    Maybe I'll try some trail running. Never did that.
    Way, way more fun/interesting than pavement, IMO.

I find running the same trails I ride very good. You can notice different lines that way, then see how they work with wheels later.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

I Ride Bikes
    I used to run a lot, but right now biking has taken over most of my "exercise time". Running is a great way to build up cardio and full body stamina. Plus you can get in a great hard exercise in just 1 hour. On a bike, I feel like I can keep on going for hours.

This thread has reminded me that I need to get new shoes. I just did a 5k race last weekend and I noticed that the inside heel part was wasted away! lol.
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I slowly starting to like running again. During my xc ski racing career I made 1000s of km running, and I somehow got sick of it. Nevertheless I still went once a week at least running all these years after I quit skiing, but never really like that. In last year or so, I finally picked up some speed, so things are a bit more fun and running started to feel nice again. During summer I try to go once or twice a week (too many other things to do like mtb, inline speed skating, ice hockey... ), but once it gets cold and wet, I'm going more or less every second day for some 15-20km... rain/snow or sun. And good part of running is, that with 1h run, you do much more then with 3h on bike. Which is pretty good when you don't have all day time reserved just for sport

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by trevor_b View Post
    I run for the same reasons you listed. One to two times a week but like you said it's not as fun as riding.
    not everyone loves running but adding it your schedule will have benifits.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast