Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

RR: Golden Gate State Park (the one in CO)...

1K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Singletrack Pig 
#1 ·
Man I had a lousy day on the bike yesterday. I guess i was just at a fitness ebb or something, but I had no energy. T'was a shame because it was a perfect day in the mountains. I met up with Jason out at Golden Gate State Park, a place neither of us had ever ridden before. The trails were quite nice. Lots of climbing, some doubletrack, but plenty of singletrack as well.

Here's Jason launching an elaborate flanking manouver on the Swedish homestead.

And here he is scouting the perimeter:

And the Merlin stands guard:

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks for another great ride Anthony. I don't concur with your assesment of your riding -- thought you were riding great -- but perhaps you were suffering from hardtail on the rocks? Doesn't help that I leave all the camera hauling chores to you does it? At least I could use your camera to take pictures of you.

The Mountain Lion/Burro loop turned out to be an undertaking after the climb up to Snow Hare and around and back. Mountain Lion was hard enough to get up and then back down. Then Burro Trail threw in a few loose, rocky, and steep singletrack climbs to diminish my ego further. I ended up walking one of the last climbs -- which was not technical -- soley because I was beat.

#7 ·
jasonb said:
Yeah,I ate a big heaping of humble pie on the descent from Windy Peak on Mountain Lion. Some of my comments about it...

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=184745
About getting soft!

Whats funny Jason is that I have been riding my hardtail since I got back from moab and was talking about how FS has corrupted me. I used to ride tech trails on my HT, then got the FS. Now I feel like the trails are kicking my ass riding the HT again--I'm relying too much on the squish and not weight shifting to get over stuff.

Gonna be down in SW colorado this WE but we need to ride sometime after before work ships me off for the summer.

#8 ·
lidarman said:
About getting soft!

Whats funny Jason is that I have been riding my hardtail since I got back from moab and was talking about how FS has corrupted me. I used to ride tech trails on my HT, then got the FS. Now I feel like the trails are kicking my ass riding the HT again--I'm relying too much on the squish and not weight shifting to get over stuff.

Gonna be down in SW colorado this WE but we need to ride sometime after before work ships me off for the summer.
Maybe I need to go back to a HT too! I put the Talas on my Pantera and I still don't feel comfortable on the bike with the new fork. The front end is a little heavier, the spring rate is more linear and the compression dampening is heavier. The bike reacts a lot different to the trail and to rider input. I need to put lighter oil in the damper but I also need to stop playing with it and get used to how it behaves.

When do you leave this summer? I would like to have some folks down to Evergreen for a ride on the Cub Creek trail -- another rocky technical b@st@rd. It runs right by my house and has been my playground for the last 3+ years but no one has ever ridden it with me so....

#11 ·
Oh...Mah...Gawd!

I never thought I'd see you pen the words "maybe I should go back to a HT"! I knew it was only a matter of time before you realized that a steel HT is the funnest ride on the planet. That you will be a stronger skills rider, ride better lines and, rediscover the fun of your old favorite trails.

Now if we could just do something about all those gears you are dragging around...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.