Sled of Lead.

RR: Brian Head UT

I had a chance to ride the trails around Brian Head Utah over the 4th of July weekend. It was pretty cool. I was expecting dry loose conditions but the trails were tacky and fast.

We started the trip by stopping at Cedar Breaks National Monument on the way between Cedar City and Brian Head.

Since we arrived around noon we decided to kill the afternoon on Brianhead's lift accessed trails. There's some good views to be had from the chair with a mixture of greenery, wild flowers, and red cliffs.

For the first full day of riding we decided to drive an hour east to hit Thunder Mountain near Bryce Canyon. It was pretty rad.
    We rode it as a loop starting just below the Red Rock Canyon visitor center and used the paved bike path that parallel's highway 12 to get to the Thunder Mountain trailhead.

After some up and down for a couple miles through pines Thunder Mountain turns into some ripping single track through the orange colored hoodoo's.

After a fun ride at Thunder Mountain, we decided to drive 20 minutes east and check out Bryce Canyon National Park. At the park entrance the ranger gave us dirty looks since we still had our riding gear on and had mountain bikes hanging off the hitch rack. Oh and the views of the Bryce Amphitheater are pretty cool too.

The next day we rode the shuttle trails in Brian Head. First was Dark Hollow. The trail starts around 11,500' above tree line and descends to just outside the town of Parowan in the valley to the west of Brian Head.

The trail starts just above tree line then heads into some thick forested area.
    Picture 14 of 30 from 4th of July 2013 Brianhead
    The middle third of the ride is pretty chunky and technical but gives way to ripping fast singletrack through aspen groves.

Dark Hollow dumps you out into a fire road which takes you back to Highway 143 for the shuttle pick-up just outside of Parowon. The road is kind of boring but the scenery isn't too bad.

From the shuttle pick-up, our drivers drove us back to the top of Brian Head peak for a run down Bunker Creek. I love this trail. It starts off high above tree line with amazing views and works it way down the mountain at a steady, even grade, with long straight aways. You can really get moving on this trail.

The shuttle service in Brian Head also comes with a free 1-time trip up the lift. We decided to take 1 long lap down color country to finish off the day's riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Very nice. I want to go. Let me see, how many miles from Palm Bay, FL to Brian Head??

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Looks like a lot of fun!

I didn't do it
    Great ride report, thanks for posting! Looks like you had a blast among the trees and red rock.

Team Fearless Descender
    Great RR and Pix! Its been a couple of years now since I've ridden at Brian Head and Thunder Mtn., but seeing your photographs I know its time to get back there!
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

mtbr member
    Awesome pictures! I'm planning a trip in early August with a couple friends, I can't wait.

mtbr member
    Very nice! I've explored much of that area on foot, but I need to get the bike down there some day.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Aloha, it's been a few years since I've been out there. Nice pictures. I think I'll have to return some time.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Great pics and ride report - Thanks! That area has intrigued me with its vivid colors.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Nice report. I lived in Brianhead for 4 years waaaay back in my pre mtb days (early 80s...got a lot of ski days though) and have always wanted to go back for a proper summer visit.

Gnarly
    I like the diverse scenery. Good ride report. Gorgeous pics!
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies