mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Road my Hard Tail on a Trail for the 1st Time in a Yr

so i took my old hardtail out for a trail ride yesterday for the first time in over a year.

i was really surprised in the difference in the ride quality between my full suspension and the lack of braking power of v-brakes compared to the disc brakes on the FS.

The hardtrail had been retired to leisurely rides around the neighborhood pulling my kid's trailer.

Yesterdays ride killed any of my asperations of putting the hard tail back on any kind of rocky trail. my neck is sore from all the bouncing about. i think i might be replacing the v-brakes with some cheap mechanical disk brakes even though it'll still mostly be trailer duty.

i did enjoy how the bike just shot up steeper climbs as long as there was no ledges, roots, or rocks in the way. the bouncy handling was the biggest surprise given that i only a year and a half ago this was my regular trail ride.

i just don't see myself going back to riding a hardtail regularly. this also kills any ideas i might have had about picking up a singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

my "retired" hardtail

I have a wonderful hardtail--if you were just starting out you'd be happier than a puppy in shite with this hardtail. I also have a coupla FS rides which I ride mostly. Whenever I take out the HT I wonder, what was I thinking? Getting bounced around, having to stand all the time lest my backbone get beat senseless. If I rocketed to the top of climbs because of the 4 lb. weight difference it'd be something to consider, but the fact that the rear end bounces all over as I climb seems to negate the lesser weight.

I admire the fact that some skilled HT riders can ride the same stuff I do on my FS bikes, but they must have steel backbones or something. When I rode a HT as my only ride I never thought about whether I was being beat up or not on the trail, it just was what it was. You know, my truck has springs and a seat that cushes the ride--I don't think that going back to no springs and wooden tires would make me enjoy my driving more.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I rode my retired hardtail down the street today. I was moving when I applied the brakes for a turn and... Nothing happened. I forgot that the thing has barley any brakes on it. I really had to mash on them to get the thing slowed down. I think I'm gonna stick with my Jucy's

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

non-disc

My hardtail has XTR vee-brakes and they stop on a dime. I have an older FS bike with XTR vee-brakes and I took that one to Moab last year and never missed discs (got BB7s and Hayes on the other two). I guess if you have discs you pretty much have awesome stopping power, but vees or otherwise can run from my XTRs to no stopping power.

Kudzu
    I couldn't tune my V-Brakes to save my life, on the other hand...
    my Avid Discs rocked right out of the box!
    I've been on a full boinger since 1998, switched to a hardtail for one "easy" ride.
    I couldnt wait to hit the Advil! What was I thinkin'!?
    It was cool to have that light weight knife edge feel & acceleration.
    Too bad my bones are sensitive

More Chasmism
    The bulk of my time spent riding is on a hardtail, albeit an overbuilt hardtail with a 5 1/2 " 20 mm fork up front, and discs front and back. Here where almost no one rides hardtails. Love it.

hfly