Professional Crastinator

The right people + the right trails = An Awesome Time in EVL!

There's a smallish group that I ride with (out of a much larger group) who are the go-to riders if you want to have fun.
    They know where all the best rides are.
    They are ready to drop pretty much anything to go ride.
    They don't care if it's raining all the way to the trail.
    They don't care if it's snowing when we suit up (after raining all night).
    They don't care that the snow is covering up all the wet leaves that have been plastered all over the rocks we are about to ride on.
    They don't care how hard the trail purportedly is.
    They are going to go no matter what, and they are prepped with the right gear, the right attitude and the right skilz, AND they are going to have fun.

We rode Ellicottville, NY this weekend (after driving 3 hrs. in the rain on Fri. and waking up to an inch of snow on Sat.).
    These guys figured the rockier trails would be better riding because there would be less mud.
    They were right. After about 100yds. of trying to remember how to ride on wet slippery everything we all adapted and had a blast. The trails were bulletproof (FLT, Pale Ale, Bent Rim... I lost track).
    Everyone fell at least once, but as a group we were riding surprisingly well even on snow-covered wet leaf-covered rock gardens and wet roots, and crossing downed trees.
    I think more coffee was consumed than beer; the kind of coffee that the coffee enthusiast grinds from beans that they roasted at home. And someone actually had to pee on their derailleur pulley to unfreeze it after a night on the rack outside - something that used to be the stuff of old wives tales. Classic!

btw - on Sunday we rode something called "Rocky's Trail" or "Rocky's Run" (I think). That is a piece of work. It was apparently named after someone's dog, but it has everything, including a few rocks. I don't think it's on the map yet, but it will qualify for "all-mountain" status if it ever dries out. It's pretty narrow in the places where you'd catch the most air, though, so be precise.
    WNYMBA prime cuts for sure!

-F

PS - after all that, the moral of my story is: "Just go!"
    Last edited by Fleas; 11-05-2012 at 09:37 AM.
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

Tactical Nightmare
    Awesome write up Fleas! Perfect thread for the Passion page. I wrote a thread recently about something similar, but different.

I'm riding in the rain....Riding in the rain....What a glorious day to be.....

Just go ride! Great moral or point to the story for sure. Where I am with riding right now, I just want to be out there. I don't care what the weather is like, just get me on a trail! Again, great thread and story!
    - "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - http://teamdirt.org/

mtbr member
    Very nice. Ellicottville NY is awesome for riding, plus the town is a really cool ski-town. I go down there a lot.