Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Riding through water.....

We all cross streams, swamps, rivers, ocean edge/beach, bayous....creeks...you get the idea...post up your pics of crossings.......Ride On!

Here's one from today to start.....we had 65 degrees.....back to shorts and not worrying too much about getting wet!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Riding through water.....-photo.jpg  

There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Some of me and my fiancée.

I made it across the big one on the way back. Picture doesn't do justice to how wide that crossing was.

I build my own.
    Riding through water.....-bikeclub02132h.jpg

Riding through water.....-may910.jpg

Riding through water.....-jan270518.jpg
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Ok here are a few

and then this is my favorite!

My Son and I rode through the Tunnel that the Charles River uses to go under I-495 , it is about 250 yards long and DARK. the first 100 yards it is is only about 3 -6 inches deep, and just before you get out it dips to almost 18 inches deep.

I'm Better known as Splat

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Ok a couple more

I'm Better known as Splat

pin it
    Some winter rides

F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member

Western Water

Not a lot of big water on the dry trails here in Colorado...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Riding through water.....-img_3203.jpg  

"There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

pin it
    Spring ride

Riding through water.....-l1010419.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The general plan is to ride as absolutely fast as possible into the water, so that you don't need to pedal through it. It's too easy to lose balance and traction.

mtbr member
    Track changes have meant that we haven't done this ride in a long time.

Tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Riding through water.....-crossing-vanities.jpg  

Riding through water.....-afterwards.jpg  

slow
    Coming up out of the deep part.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Riding through water.....-streamcrossing.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Excellent!

Couple pics of my ankle-biters at Brown County State Park last April. First one shows my son in his "no photos" stage. Last one shows my daughter caught by surprise--she came around a corner and didn't expect a stream. She had told me before she'd walk across any streams but she cruised that one like a pro. Good times!

I'd have to say BCSP is the best place I've ever ridden for stream crossings. There are a ton of them and the streambeds are made of these flat rocks that are technical (but do-able). The water smells clean too!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Riding through water.....-creek-crossing-no-pics-allowed.jpg  

Riding through water.....-creek-crossing-1.jpg  

Riding through water.....-holly-creek-crossing5.jpg  

whatever...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by arkon11 View Post
    The general plan is to ride as absolutely fast as possible into the water, so that you don't need to pedal through it. It's too easy to lose balance and traction.
    Let us know how that works out for you on a 15+ ft crossing.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Riding through shallow creeks and puddles is fine and fun (if you're not already freezing) but I almost always avoid anything that submerges my BB or hubs in water. That chit is too expensive to treat it like that.

mtbr dismember

One of many

One of many at this race.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    not a picture, but a creek riding video. TONS of fun!!

12 Trek Fuel EX8
    09 Gary Fisher Piranha

Professional Crastinator
    These pix are so old I had to scan them in (for something else). It's actually 2 ways to cross a stream.
    1 if by air.
    2 if by sea.

In the top pic, I am going 100mph.

Bike had Shimano cup-n-cone hubs and bottom bracket. You just gotta clean and re-grease more often when you do chit like that.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    cool pics makes me kind of thirsty living in the Nevada desert
    Keep The Rubber Side Down

Over the Hill
    As much as I might like to ride thru water I don't think my BB and hubs like it much. I do have a bike with a Alfine Hub and cheap square taper BB that I do not think twice about going thru water with.

Dean

I build my own.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstepper View Post
    As much as I might like to ride thru water I don't think my BB and hubs like it much. I do have a bike with a Alfine Hub and cheap square taper BB that I do not think twice about going thru water with.

Dean
    That's the second post about not wanting to get your bike wet.

I wouldn't want to own a bike that I was afraid to get wet. I understand the difference between riding through a puddle and submerging the bike. Every once in a while I like to submerge the bike.

Riding through water.....-bikeclub02132g.jpg
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja View Post
    That's the second post about not wanting to get your bike wet.

I wouldn't want to own a bike that I was afraid to get wet. I understand the difference between riding through a puddle and submerging the bike. Every once in a while I like to submerge the bike.
    In one part of your post you say " I understand the difference between riding through a puddle and submerging the bike." in another you characterize my post as saying "not wanting to get your bike wet". Believe me, my bike and I have come home wet many, many times. What I said was I avoid riding through water deep enough to submerge my BB or hubs as much as possible. Bike bearing surfaces are water resistant, but they're not intended to be repeatedly dunked any real length of time.

That said, if you like to "submerge your bike every once and a while", have fun. It's your property to do with what you want, but for me, I like to ride my bike, not abuse it.

I build my own.
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    In one part of your post you say " I understand the difference between riding through a puddle and submerging the bike." in another you characterize my post as saying "not wanting to get your bike wet". Believe me, my bike and I have come home wet many, many times. What I said was I avoid riding through water deep enough to submerge my BB or hubs as much as possible. Bike bearing surfaces are water resistant, but they're not intended to be repeatedly dunked any real length of time.

That said, if you like to "submerge your bike every once and a while", have fun. It's your property to do with what you want, but for me, I like to ride my bike, not abuse it.
    Absolutely. Far be it from me to suggest to others what they should do with their own equipment. If you don't want to risk damage to your bike, that's fine.

Sorry if I offended you with my post. It was more a case of I'm glad that I get to do what I like without worrying, than you are doing something wrong.

I ride a $125 bike and I kick the sh|t out of it. I also maintain it. If it breaks to the point that I can't fix it, I'll buy another one.

Oddly enough I'm very protective of my axes and knives. I'm sure there are people who don't "get" that.

Over the Hill
    Getting my bike wet is one thing, that does not bother me I ride in the rain. It is the suspended dirt and grit that gets into bearing during stream crossings that is the problem. I by high end parts and live where there is not much water. If I lived in a wet climate and had soil that you could ride when trails are wet I would buy cheap disposable parts.

mtbr member

Here are a few from...

....2006 and 2012.......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Riding through water.....-img_1203.jpg  

Riding through water.....-img_1222_640x480.jpg  

Riding through water.....-042.jpg  

Riding through water.....-043.jpg  

mtbr member

Old one.....

...there is a bridge a bridge that avoids this flooding spot now....pic is from 2007....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast