Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Riding Solo

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Riding Solo

I ride alone to get away from it all. I have done the same in the ocean get out pass the break water and just float. Am I the only one or are there others.

mtbr member

Riding Solo

Me too. Wish I could get way from it all right now.

SPP
    Rigid.

I didn't do it
    I'm either too fast or too slow and I take fewer breaks when riding so I am not very compatible with many of my riding companions. Therefore I go solo most of the time. Plus I enjoy the solitude, I'm around people all day long so a little alone time is refreshing to me.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I enjoy riding by myself. But my daughter has taken Mountain Bike riding as well. So I do enjoy riding with her as well.

mtbr member
    I enjoy riding solo. Gives me time to ride up the mountain and just relax a bit up top before working my way back down. Dont get me wrong I love riding with my friends but sometimes being out there alone is much more relaxing.
    13 Banshee Rune, Pushed Fox 36Float RC2, I9 Blunt35's

T1 barcode, pitchfork's, Hazard light's and profile's

mtbr member
    I tend to ride alone alot. Work and kids makes for a unpredictable schedule, usually ride when I can vs scheduled rides.

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by tomfs View Post
    I ride alone to get away from it all. Am I the only one or are there others.
    Nope, you're not alone. Plenty enjoy or even prefer the solitude of a solo ride. I ride for a multitude of reasons, but when I'm needing to focus on intellectual disassociation, I prefer solo. And, while I enjoy the company of others, I tend to spend more time and miles on my own. By choice.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by tomfs View Post
    I ride alone to get away from it all. I have done the same in the ocean get out pass the break water and just float. Am I the only one or are there others.
    I like riding both alone and with friends.
    Part of the reason I got in to riding though was to have a social outlet though.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    I enjoy the solitude. I can ride like the wind, or whatever
    my body desires. I also stop and enjoy more of my surroundings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Riding Solo-009.jpg  

Keep The Rubber Side Down

mtbr member
    I rode 800 miles of trail last year. Probably 70% was by myself.
    I find like the solitude , the sound of tires on loam and the view.
    I find with riding in a group you never get to really see whats around you.
    I also find that my pack is now 8+ lbs with water and tools and first aid and all that stuff you should have if you are alone in the woods..

mtbr member
    Yep, almost always solo. I like groups in the right setting though.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I ride solo probably 60-70 percent of the time. The rest is
    usually with my wife.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I ride solo as well. I talk to people all day for my job and riding solo allows me to decompress. I find I am easier to deal with after a long ride..

mtbr member
    I too ride solo most of the time amd mostly enjoy it. However, I've found that riding with a friend can boost motivation,plus it's fun exploring new trails with company.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I ride alone 90% of the time and love it. The scenery, the solitude, the fresh air. It's a great way to relax and unwind from the stress of everyday life.

However last night I rode with two buddies. One a much fitter, more technically competent rider than me and the other a similar rider. Trying to keep up with the superior rider and beat the other certainly made me ride harder and faster than I normally do. Getting the competitive juices flowing was certainly stimulating and made me push myself much harder than I would on my own.

So there's pros to both.

Bikes!
    Apart from my commute, I haven't ridden solo in ages, which is strange for me as I usually ride on my own more often than not. I enjoy the group rides I've been on lately but I'm definitely going to try and get myself out on a solo ride this weekend to celebrate my Birthday.

I love the quiet freedom of my own thoughts, my own pace and just sharing nature with my bike, just wish it was Saturday now!
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite
    2015 Trek Farley 8

Unpredictable
    16 posts and no hysterical "you are going to die alone" replies. Weird. Riding alone is what you do or you just don't ride often enough, even if WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE ALONE!!!!

Dirt Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridnparadise View Post
    16 posts and no hysterical "you are going to die alone" replies. Weird. Riding alone is what you do or you just don't ride often enough, even if WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE ALONE!!!!
    Fraidy Cats...

I ride alone most of the time, 90%. I enjoy riding with some people, but I tend to frustrate the Speed Demons with my general lack of competitiveness and cheerful attitude. Even in group rides, I typically ride alone.
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

Magically Delicious

Solo Night Rides

Several have brought up the solitude experienced when riding solo, but for me personally, the solo night ride brings out a whole different venue of seclusion that isn't usually encountered during daylight hours. My thoughts and focus are somewhat different while I navigate the singletrack unaccompanied. If I'm not in a training mode and just doing an easy night cruise, my thoughts tend to truly disassociate from reality and time just seems to flow past like water. A connection with self and my surroundings.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Riding Solo

I'm ride solo about 50% of the time, more so on the road bike. I live in a crowded dorm situation and if I didn't take the time to go out solo to get some time to myself I'd probably go nuts
    2009 Gary Fisher HiFi
    riding time is split between central NH and Hudson Valley, NY

EMBA Member
    I like to go faster when I want and slower when I want and stop and take pictures when I want. I do ride with others occasionally, but the list of people I ride with is pretty short. I don't like riding with people that talk the entire time we are riding, and I especially don't like riding with people that like to tell everyone they should push harder and/or go for that big jump or huge drop, etc... Peer pressure is for junior high school, not mountain biking.

Merendon Junkie
    I love riding solo but dont do it that much because of thugs and low life gangsters. Here we tend to prefer group rides, security being a huge factor. Totally sad

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridnparadise View Post
    The danger factor is very much in my head , I always tell my wife which trails in which order I am riding and I don't ride black diamond trails by myself. Last fall a tourist from Idaho was riding pipeline trail here BY HIMSELF on Fromme he died after falling while trying to traverse a log teeter totter. A good friend of mine was fire chief at the time he was one of the first responders with his unit. IF that guy had not been alone he might be alive today still although paralized. They determined he was alive for an hour or two before died.
    North shore trails here can be very dangerous and riding alone is risky if you are not smart about it.
    Not even mentioning the many cougar sightings this year and bears too..
    I have the find my iPhone app turned on so my wife can track me if she wants.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    Several have brought up the solitude experienced when riding solo, but for me personally, the solo night ride brings out a whole different venue of seclusion that isn't usually encountered during daylight hours. My thoughts and focus are somewhat different while I navigate the singletrack unaccompanied. If I'm not in a training mode and just doing an easy night cruise, my thoughts tend to truly disassociate from reality and time just seems to flow past like water. A connection with self and my surroundings.
    This^^^ To me a frozen winter night ride is the ultimate solo ride, seeing my foggy breath in my lights, the biting wind on my face. There are no sounds other than fat tires crunching on snow echoing in the woods, and the occasional scurrying noise and wondering if I should I be scared of it. I ride up and over lumps hidden under the snow, up and down slippery hills, sometimes my tires sliding in different directions, exercising minute movements to maintain balance. I see in tunnel vision, being able to see only what's exposed in two beams of light, frequently pointed at opposed angles like two light sabers in mid fight, everything off to my sides and behind me in spooky darkness. I turn off my lights for a short rest and feel total isolation and exposure, even though I may only be a mile or so from rural civilization, wondering what critters may be watching me from a distance in the blackness.
    Last edited by masterofnone; 03-04-2014 at 08:49 AM. Reason: add stuff
    To appreciate the flowers you must also walk among s**t to know the difference

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm a bit of an introvert, a solo run on the local singletrack is my favorite way to get away from people for an afternoon and recharge. When you ride alone, there's nothing else to pull you away from the experience of riding.
    Impossible Is Nothing

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast