Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Riding Solo

Surfin' da mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    Several have brought up the solitude experienced when riding solo, but for me personally, the solo night ride brings out a whole different venue of seclusion that isn't usually encountered during daylight hours. My thoughts and focus are somewhat different while I navigate the singletrack unaccompanied. If I'm not in a training mode and just doing an easy night cruise, my thoughts tend to truly disassociate from reality and time just seems to flow past like water. A connection with self and my surroundings.
    Mostly solo here too and about 20% with friends. I've done a few night rides solo. Hearing animals stir in the bushes gets my heart pumping. On one, my headlight went out. No backup. Luckily it was 3/4 moon. I always night ride with a cheap backup these days.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    All this talk about solitude makes me think of this

Solitude - YouTube

I usually skip this song to listen to Into the Void, but Solitude is entertaining because of the self pity.

mtbr member
    I love hiking and road riding solo but am always a little tentative when mountain biking alone. The trails I ride are pretty deserted so if I happen to bust a hip or crack my skull it may well be manana before any help ambles along. For me mountain biking is something that is more fun shared.

mtbr member
    I love riding solo. It's tough to find a riding partner that can ride at the same speed, plus I enjoy the alone time. I do enjoy riding with other like minded riders, but I still need some alone time

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    Team _________

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I try to ride solo but that little man in my head keeps talking to me. Yes, about 90% of my rides are solo. Quiets those voices.

Trailhead Poseur
    I ride alone virtually 100% of the time. My schedule is just too random and volatile for me to make commitments with other riders.
    Speed solves all problems, except for those things it makes worse.

mtbr member
    I used to ride alone almost all the time. I had a non traditional work schedule. Then I started getting out of work at 2:30. I'd pick up my roommate who worked down the road from me and we get to the trail head by 4pm and home by 8pm. I've moved away since then so I'll probably be riding solo again. When you find a really good riding buddy it's hard to ride solo. On the other hand solitude is something rarely afforded.
    I like to ride bikes.

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    I try to ride solo but that little man in my head keeps talking to me.
    And what does he say? Do you have conversations?
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I love group rides, but I rarely get to do them anymore because of my work schedule. I work alone now too, so its like an extra kick in the pants when I get to ride but have to go solo.

mtbr member
    My feelings exactly...many great experiences like this this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by masterofnone View Post
    This^^^ To me a frozen winter night ride is the ultimate solo ride, seeing my foggy breath in my lights, the biting wind on my face. There are no sounds other than fat tires crunching on snow echoing in the woods, and the occasional scurrying noise and wondering if I should I be scared of it. I ride up and over lumps hidden under the snow, up and down slippery hills, sometimes my tires sliding in different directions, exercising minute movements to maintain balance. I see in tunnel vision, being able to see only what's exposed in two beams of light, frequently pointed at opposed angles like two light sabers in mid fight, everything off to my sides and behind me in spooky darkness. I turn off my lights for a short rest and feel total isolation and exposure, even though I may only be a mile or so from rural civilization, wondering what critters may be watching me from a distance in the blackness.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com
    http://www.ENVEcomposites.com

mtbr member
    I usually ride solo, mainly because I don't have anyone to ride with. I do carry a SPOT locator, atleast if I get in real deep excrement people will know where I am. In winter I take some survival gear, in summer I have the bear spray or the .44mag.

Rosie Creek Bike Bushwack Trip - YouTube
    Duncan
    Fairbanks, AK

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Probably 98% or more solo. Usually without a route or itinerary, deciding enroute which fork to take. My wife does not worry (She either has confidence in my skill level or she is resigned to my folly -- I am not sure which), although friends think I am crazy for not leaving a detailed plan with exact route and timetable spelled out.

I am aware of the added risk and mitigate as best I can. I usually carry enough survival gear and extra food to emergency bivy overnight. My riding becomes very cautious when solo. I do not attempt the same jumps or crossings I make with ease when with someone else.

I also stop when and where I want for as long as I want. Something you usually cannot do in a group.
    So many trails... so little time...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I ride solo most of the time. Including night rides on pretty tech stuff too. Mostly I hate waiting for others to decide when to, or they're late or fritz ing about when I just want to go now. At first alone in the dark was spooky but I got used to it quickly. Usually have a dog with me too so he'll notice things. Might be a critter but he does bark at imaginary beasts I think. I prefer solo sometimes because I always go at my pace on my choice of trail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Riding Solo

I always ride solo... to the point I'll avoid as much as possible talking with other riders on the trail or trailhead.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    If you are in trouble or lost, and have a cell phone, but can't get a signal from a tower, dial 911 anyway. It sends a signal that may be picked up by a tower, and although a text or call won't go thru, at least potential rescuers might be alerted that someone is in trouble in the general area that the 911 signal came from.
    Also, try dialing 112, which is an internationally recognized emergency signal. Works in the USA and 27 other countries, so I'm told.
    Worth a try, anyway. This won't work where signals are blocked,though, like in a cave or tunnel.
    Also, both Delorme inReach and ACR ResQLink have enough satellites up there to offer complete coverage, while SPOT only has a few satellites up there and has relatively "spotty" coverage. I think there's a way to test SPOT to see if it actually works in your area. That info should be in the instructions.
    If I were buying a personal locator beacon, I'd get either the Delorme inReach or the ACR ResQLink. This is nothing to economize on, IMHO.
    All three of these systems each run on different satellite networks.
    Last edited by PlutonicPlague; 03-07-2014 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Won't be picked up by satellite, but maybe a tower

mtbr member
    SPOT uses polar orbiting satellites, as long as you can see the sky, there is no place on earth they do not work. I've used mine all over they world and never had it not work. I might be up to 15 minutes to get the message out depending on satellite passes.
    Duncan
    Fairbanks, AK

Magically Delicious
    SPOT has limitations and is not the budget way to go. However, it might be right for you.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser View Post
    Hate it when I have a beast day riding solo... I always feel like no one believes how well I rode.
    The less you worry about that, the better you will feel. Just ride and smile buddy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    And what does he say? Do you have conversations?
    I end up arguing with myself and losing. Things like" sure you can clean that gap to stepdown, 90 degree right - up -over the wall move" Seriously, when I am pedaling, all that day to day stuff, bills, house, work, family stuff gets push aside and the only concentration is on the next 30' of trail. Quite refreshing.

mtbr member
    Riding solo is the best, hammer in the hills, fly on the downhills at my own speed, no waiting, just silence ! hear the wind thru the trees, the hills and wildlife at a hands reach.

its the best !
    2013 Anthem Advanced 29er
    1999 Turner 02
    Raced for Mongoose Bikes from Alum,Carbon to TI.
    1987 Redline Mountain bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I ride solo all the time and I mostly love it. With the heart pounding through my ears, lungs struggling for air, legs burning, I do not even notice I am solo until I get back to the trailhead.

The part I do not like is having to dial it down because I am solo.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    riding solo gives me time to unwind and somewhat be in a world of my own. I love it as I get in a certain groove and pace and just pedal for hours and have no worry in the world; somewhat peaceful.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Like most of the other "loners", I like the solitude and peacefulness(if that's a word) of a solo ride. Helps to clear the mind.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    I'm a "the more the merrier" kind of guy but that doesn't work out very often. Scheduling conflicts, weather etc limits many of my friends to just riding weekends or not at all. I'm more flexible with my schedule and can do rides almost any time of day. So I end up riding solo often.

I always enjoy myself but at the same time I know if some of my buddies would make time for it they would too. In fact I think it would get them out more often. It's just getting them stated that's the tough part.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

mtbr member
    I like both - the only thing I was surprised to find out when I started was that music was out - I like the sounds of nature (plus that bike coming at me from behind) - so the ipod stays home - I usually ride w/2 top 3 guys when in groups, but as an only child (I guess) love the peacefulness of a solo ride.
    2013 Cannondale Trail SL 3

"You will never ride alone"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast