Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Riding Solo

mtbr member
    I mostly ride alone. Probably another 90%er. I have one riding buddy that I get out with from time to time on the local trails when our schedules permit. And another buddy I meet up with a few times a year at destination places like Burke and Millstone.

I love getting out on the trails with just me and my two labs tearing it up. Those are the best times.
    2011 Trance x1

All good things in all good time

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by masterofnone View Post
    I see in tunnel vision, being able to see only what's exposed in two beams of light, frequently pointed at opposed angles like two light sabers in mid fight, everything off to my sides and behind me in spooky darkness.

Oh YES...riding in your sphere of light. Utopic!

For those of you have not seen this thread...a worthy read
    How awesome is night riding?
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

Over the Hill
    I ride often alone but when I do I always take extra gear. Here is a very sad story that happened in Orange County, CA over the weekend.

BY BRIAN ROKOS / STAFF WRITER

Published: March 3, 2014 Updated: March 4, 2014 9:44 a.m.

Christyna Arista was not going to wait.

Her husband, Andres Marin, was lost in the darkness in the Cleveland National Forest, injured, disoriented, cold, wet and lightly dressed.

The Riverside County Sheriff's Department had suspended its search for the night Saturday and the volunteers with the Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit had decided conditions were too treacherous to ascend the trail on which the mountain biker was lost.

So Arista, an experienced hiker, gathered six other family members and against the advice of sheriff's officials set out on foot about 3:45 a.m. Sunday from Corona toward Santiago Peak in the Santa Ana Mountains. They split up into twos and threes, carrying flashlights and other equipment.

They ascended Indian Truck Trail on the belief that Marin was beginning a descent from the peak. He had called his wife about 5:30 p.m. Saturday more than two hours after he was supposed to have come home to say that he didn't know where he was and that, although he was headed down the mountain, he didn't think he could make it. His speech was slow, and he had difficulty answering questions. He said he had fallen.

Shortly before Arista's brother-in-law arrived at Santiago Peak about six hours and 13 miles later, another volunteer rescuer who had ignored sheriff's officials found Marin's body.

Marin's hands were on the handlebars and his feet were on the pedals. The bike was leaning against the side of the hill.

Marin was purple, and he was dead.

ANGRY WITH RESCUERS

In an interview in the couple's home Monday, Arista said she was upset that rescuers did not do more to find her husband immediately after she reported him missing about 6 p.m. Saturday.

“I'm angry with them,” said Arista, 33. “I don't think they made the right choice.”

Sheriff's Lt. Zach Hall said ideally the department would have sent a helicopter to follow the approximately 53-mile route that Marin, 34, had planned to follow along Skyline Trail, Main Divide Road and Indian Truck Trial.

But the steady rain that night prevented the helicopter from flying, Hall said. Rescuers also ruled out using motorized vehicles that normally would be able to navigate the dirt road because Friday's heavy rain left the clay soil too slick. The conditions also made hiking to wherever Marin might have been dangerous.

“We could have set up ourselves for a self-rescue. I would not have sent people up there to get hurt,” Hall said.

A sheriff's news release said a deputy was positioned at the Skyline Trailhead that night, and rescue teams were organized for an early-morning search. Conditions improved enough by 6 a.m. to send out off-highway vehicles and a helicopter.

“I'm upset that we couldn't get to him in time,” Hall said.

Mountain biker found dead in Cleveland forest was celebrating birthday - The Orange County Register

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Usually when I go to a trailhead (Driving) to ride, it's solo. Lately, I've been riding with a friend or two on PM 'urban' rides, where we work in around 5-7 miles of trail on a 22-26 mile ride.

Somehow, I feel better riding w/ company in traffic and after dark, especially downtown traffic.

But when I hit up the local mountains, its' almost always solo. I don't think I can 'get away from it all' enough.
    Well, I could, but I'm not ready to take that step.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I wish I had people to ride with me everyday at sunrise.

I don't, so I just take my dogs.
    Riding Solo-img00041-20120519-0713.jpg

mtbr member
    I guess I prefer to ride solo since that's what I've done for almost 20 years. I stick to local trails mostly and really enjoy the occasional night ride. Also throw in a road bike ride if I'm pressed for time but still need to escape...but prefer the woods for better isolation therapy.

Have also been doing group rides with my brother and his buddy's for past couple of years. We also try to plan at least a few overnight trips to Vermont or northern NH. These weekends are dedicated for just riding, camping, eating and some beers! I feel that a few epic gatherings mixed with solo riding is what keeps the passion alive for me!
    14 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    07 Rocky Mtn Solo
    00 GT Pro Performer

Rebuild it with RWC!

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Hate it when I have a beast day riding solo... I always feel like no one believes how well I rode.

mtbr dismember

95%

Quote Originally Posted by tomfs View Post
    I ride alone to get away from it all....Am I the only one or are there others.
    Probably 95% of my riding is solo. And much of it is in some pretty remote places. People who ride my slow speed don't ride my long distances and people who ride my long distances don't ride my slow speed. I mostly ride with others when doing point to point rides when I need a shuttle. But even then I am often riding solo. I like to start early and most people don't. And I don't like stopping very much.

mtbr member
    95% of my riding is solo. Love riding at my own pace, my own route and as far as I want. No waiting for other people, or them waiting on me. Not taking brakes that take a half hour. Just ride, love it!

pin it
    In the evening, my husband will arrive home from work before me, then he'll ride out and do trail maintenance or build and ride features. After I get home, I ride out to join him (usually lights are needed) and then we do a ride together. Depending on the time of year ... it's in the dark or near dark. That may or may not count as riding solo but we we enjoy each other's company
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bbeltramo View Post
    I'm ride solo about 50% of the time, more so on the road bike. I live in a crowded dorm situation and if I didn't take the time to go out solo to get some time to myself I'd probably go nuts
    +1
    These days getting out of the dorm is a huge part of why I ride alone. After dealing with people 24/7 it's nice to strike out alone and get some peace and quiet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I love riding alone.....I enjoy a group ride too but sometimes just want to be alone and enjoy the solitude. I do a lot of things alone. I'm something of an introvert I suppose. I am somewhat more careful when alone and won't ride super sketchy stuff and won't ride way out in the boonies where you don't see people for hours or days.

Sometimes I get flack for riding alone because I am a girl and "omg someone is going to grab you and do bad things to you" kind of stuff....but whatever.

mtbr member
    i ride solo almost 100% of the time. ive been out with 3 others (individually) in the last 5 years.

being out solo on my bike is time to unclutter my mind, move through the landscape and make as little fuss as possible. i make no apology for than sounding a bit 'hippy' because thats sort of the truth.

were i do the majority of my riding is pretty quiet in general, its rare to see others out on the trails (on bikes or otherwise) other than wildlife. infact, the area i now live isnt really acknowledged as 'great biking country' but im finding lots of secret trails through the trees and farm tracks that connect my house to local stuff that is regarded as good stuff.

im also really interested in how far you push yourself when nobody is there to drive you on or slow you down. and you know how much you are really giving on that climb or the best line down that rocky ridge. i love a bit overgrown singletrack and a 30min hike up some heather slope is just part of a good day. and theres always a 'long' way home option. i love the focus and clean head that focussing on a trail for miles and miles gives you.

in short, what i love most about riding my bike is the way it makes me feel. that feeling is at its strongest when im out myself.

heres a shot from sunrise at the summit of 'black hill' up the pentlands, south of edinburgh not long after i got 'the bike'. for me, that day was the first of many solo days that ticked all the boxes...

Riding Solo-img_5142.jpg
    i n d u s t r y
    c o t t a g e

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thank you for the photo and inspiration. I like early and this is out there.
    Riding Solo-gedc1537_zpsdf21c29d.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I love solo rides...get me out in nature, and able to clear my head.

Long live the ASR-7
    Quote Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser View Post
    Hate it when I have a beast day riding solo... I always feel like no one believes how well I rode.
    I had this the other day. Beast mode climbing and blasted the descent. Rode the normal group ride loop about 20 minutes faster by myself. No stopping to wait for people and standing around to BS.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    6500 miles last year, nearly all but the races solo. I'm on a huge team but my work schedule doesn't get home till late. Plus I like the solitude.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc

mtbr member
    I ride solo most of the time after work. Got a few close trails to my house it is nice. My wife worries about me cause of some past health issues.
    I got the Road ID app on my phone everyone should check it out. It is great. It will send a text to as many as 5 people and let them know I am going for a ride and how long it should take me. It also has a setting for not moving. I have mine set that if I have not moved in 30 min to send a text alert to those same people with a gps map link to my current location.
    Makes my wife happy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Do you know that this plant Phacelia is very allergenic to some? At it's worst in summer when dry and hard to recognize. To me the rash was much worse than Poison Ivy or Oak.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    I like riding solo, but even when I am on a group ride I seem to make my space amongst the group and I am solo within my realm of thought and time and space until the ride is done. If I am going to push the envelope on some parts of the trail with added speed and gnar and difficulty, then I rarely ride solo on those days. Thats just dumb.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Mostly I ride with my 2 dogs in winter. My pointer is so smart she figured out how to shortcut all the zigzag turns thru Fantasy Island MTB Park so it's a walk in the park for her.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by abegold View Post
    Mostly I ride with my 2 dogs in winter. My pointer is so smart she figured out how to shortcut all the zigzag turns thru Fantasy Island MTB Park so it's a walk in the park for her.
    So your dog uses Strava?

Sorry I couldnt resist!
    13 Banshee Rune, Pushed Fox 36Float RC2, I9 Blunt35's

T1 barcode, pitchfork's, Hazard light's and profile's

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reelchef67 View Post
    I have the find my iPhone app turned on so my wife can track me if she wants.
    I'd never thought about using something like that. No cell coverage in some places I ride but this uses GPS locating I assume so should work everywhere Strava or Google Maps does, right?

Hmm. I bought a SPOT locating device (mostly for my wife's peace of mind) a few years ago but never got the prescription/sign up done. It's still sitting on my desk. D'Oh. A free app on a device that I always carry with me anyway sounds like reasonable precaution.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I like to ride alone or with one or two of my buddies.. I like the road alone better than the moutain.. but with my sch. its easier to be alone.
    Rocky Mountain 13 Instinct
    Rocky Mountain 13 Solo
    Pugsly 12
    Trek XO Cross 11

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by abegold View Post
    Your Pointer must be smart. There's so much cholla lining the trails and in-between at Fantasy Island, IIRC, that I get puncture wounds if I just look off-trail!

It's a very fun trail system, though. I always hit it whenever I'm in town.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast