mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Riding in Shiprock, NM (four corners) and Whiteriver, AZ?

I have the opportunity to work in one of these two places in May, and was wondering what the riding was like...anyone have any experience here? I'd be living in the indian reservations, hopefully with a car. What's close to these places and what is the weather like in May?

My post is that way --->
    Jan 2004
    Not too far from Farmington and its famed singletrack.

Check out the trail reviews.
    Wibble

Mythical Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by Darwin
    I have the opportunity to work in one of these two places in May, and was wondering what the riding was like...anyone have any experience here? I'd be living in the indian reservations, hopefully with a car. What's close to these places and what is the weather like in May?
    Among others, the Road Apple Rally course is fun & fast! And has the distinction of being the longest continually run MTBike race in the country! It's where a young John Tomac and Ned Overend went head to head many times, and still sometimes come out in October for the race.

As mentioned, check the trails' reviews for anything in the Farmington area, as there are some good rides to be had. Also keep in mind it's a pretty short hop up to Durango from the 4 corners are ;-)
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

small world

Hey, I work in Shiprock w/ IHS, most likely what you're thinking about doing. While I've never been to Whiteriver, there's some great riding where I live in Colorado. Farmington has some good trails also. Durango might be a little drier by this time. W/out a doubt, I would go to Shiprock if I we're in your shoes. Email me and i'll take you out for some riding,
    john

I"ll see you in Hell
    Whiteriver's not too far from Sunrise Ski Resort. Hopefully we'll have it open for us this year. Lotsa trails from fire road to black-diamond, and even a 9 mile xc loop if you like to pedal at 9000 ft. sunriseskipark.com
    IT'S A DRY HEAT

Saucy Size Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Darwin
    Whiteriver is a short drive to Pinetop (lotsa good trails), Sunrise (DH in the summer), and Springerville/Eagar (lotsa good trails). Any riding you find on the rez will be strictly off the books -- it's complicated but basically the reservations don't really have centralized trail planning.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.