mtbr member

Riding mystery trails?

I figured this was the place to post this pseudo-passion related question, so here goes:

I went riding this afternoon, mostly around the subdivision because of the thunderstorms. I was in this place ive rarely traveled, and was looking off towards the woods when I noticed an old cemetary. Sweet, I thought, and climbed down this ledge to check it out (with bike in tow). After a few minutes of snooping, I saw a "double track" aka an old set of tire tracks leading into the woods. So, I did what we all would do, and started riding them. As I got deeper into the woods, I started to wonder. I didn't see any tread marks, and it didn't look like these things had been used by anyone except deer for quite a while. Anyway, the weeds weren't growing up around or anything, which only gives more evidence to mountain biking aliens. These trails actually had some nice berms and climbs, too.

I have no idea who made these trails, who owns the land, or anything. Should I keep riding them? How do I find these things out?

Thanks!

Faller - Expert Class

Cool-blue Rhythm If it were me...

If the trails weren't directly on the cemetery grounds, I would keep riding them if they're fun, since it sounds like there are no signs saying it's prohibited. If anyone confronts you, you can honestly say you didn't know, since there are no signs.

mtbr member
    Yeah, they arn't on cemetary grounds.

Faller - Expert Class

Good job! Then...

definitely have fun on those trails!! They sound like a blast!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Aliens?

"which only gives more evidence to mountain biking aliens." as in X-file aliens?

Glad to Be Alive
    ride m cowboy
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

super absorbent
    Of course if you have to go through the cemetary on your way to the trail, you're probably picking up some undead riding companions along the way. Look for signs of ectoplasm residue on the way back or listen closely for the ghostly cry of, "Schweeeeeeet!" as you all take that awesome left hand sweeper. Also bear in mind that if you start to suck wind, you'll most ceratinly the hear the eerie announcement, "...ooooooon youuuuuur leeeeeeft....." coming from over your shoulder
    The more complicated it is, the more that can go wrong.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipAllen
    Of course if you have to go through the cemetary on your way to the trail, you're probably picking up some undead riding companions along the way. Look for signs of ectoplasm residue on the way back or listen closely for the ghostly cry of, "Schweeeeeeet!" as you all take that awesome left hand sweeper. Also bear in mind that if you start to suck wind, you'll most ceratinly the hear the eerie announcement, "...ooooooon youuuuuur leeeeeeft....." coming from over your shoulder
    Haha you can blame this dude if you mysteriously lose all your trail snacks.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

super absorbent
    Quote Originally Posted by Skookum
    Haha you can blame this dude if you mysteriously lose all your trail snacks.
    No need to worry about your Powerbars. The undead riders like to snack on the various titanium tidbits that adorn your bike. If you have no such trinkets, then a small slice of your mortal soul will always do nicely.
    The more complicated it is, the more that can go wrong.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Just treat the trail(s) with respect. A friend and I were getting sick of riding the same trails over and over and over again... and we knew of the location of an old road that travels through a ravine below the newer road. It's not really anyones property since it's on many different plots of land... so we did what any good highschoolers would do, cleared brush, removed fallen trees on the road then built 4 incredibly steep and wicked trails off city property to the road. And when I say wicked steep... it's common to go over the bars more than once... that is if you make the 4 foot drop in.

banned
    as a trail builder I will say this:

ride them if you like them and they aren't on private property.

but if you ride them and cause some damage (scrapping a berm, casing a tranny, etc) you ought to either try to repair your damage (less preferable) or find out who built the trail and if that person's still around, try to see if you can't help with maintenance.

nothin' worse than building trail and having others damage it but just walk away. ask anyone who rides DJ trails, BMX or MTB.

We want... a shrubbery!
    Just watch out for a sudden ending to this mysterious trail... lol

2 days ago I was riding a trail I hadn't been on before, some really nice singletrack that laced around some woods that came to an opening in the trees. Well, after passing the treeline the hill had a 20% grade (going down) and the singletrack just went down. I was thinking... sweet, I haven't been here before! A few second laters I found out why no one rides that trail--it ends. Yea, it ended... like literally dissappeared. Into briars covering an old pile of riprap. Well... I was going downhill and was caught completely offgaurd, so I hit the brakes, almost endo as I my front tire hits the front of the riprap pile, and just fall over sideways--still clipped in, lol. Anyways, my knee is all banged up (one good deep laceration and some swelling on patellar tendon) and lots of bruises and scratches elsewhere. But, I DON'T want to RUIN your FUN... I just needed to vent. Haha, anyways, yea--have fun, explore!
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.
    Hobbes : Maybe you shouldn't use chocolate milk.
    Calvin : I tried Cola, but the bubbles went up my nose.

Ya, right.
    Riding on rarely used "mystery" trails is a whole new level of fun. There is a section of trail by my local ride that is very fun--and hardly ever used. It is a little bit harder to get to, but not that difficult. The trails are all open/part of the main trail system, yet nobody rides them. Well, others may ride them, but everytime I do, I see no other tracks anywhere--biker, hiker or equestrian. I wonder why the trail was cut and then not used It is pretty fun though. It is a little more remote and seperated from the main trail network, so I always feel even more out in the middle of nowhere. My dad and I rode it a couple months ago in the late afternoon. It was cloudy, cold and the wind was howling through the trees. I thought I heard footsteps behind us a few times. My dad and I both agreed it was a little surreal, and we both wanted to be on point--lest we be riding last and have the Headless Horseman come up from behind
    I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.

paintbucket
    I would ride them, but I wouldn't advertise it at all and I'd keep as low a profile as possible.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.