banned
    Apr 2004

Which riding faction does the culture run the deepest?

I'd say either the roadies & or the single speed freaks

Bikes not Bombs.....

Since my last transfusion....

Since I spilt out all my Geary blood for SingleSpeed/Fixie blood, I would have to say SS/Fixie's are bad to the bone.

Although.... DH, Huckers, enduro's and anyone who races 24 hours solo meet the basic criteria....

JS
    Thanks to all of you for your friendships on this board..... -

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

road

Tradition is a big part of what makes a culture, and road cycling has a century-plus of tradition behind it. I like culture. I like tradition. I kinda feel sorry for lots of today's mountain bikers, who went right from BigWheels or BMX to MTB, missing a whole lot of good road stuff along the way. All the really good lifelong riders I know and admire consider themselves cyclists, not MTBers or roadies.

paintbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by bulC
    Tradition is a big part of what makes a culture, and road cycling has a century-plus of tradition behind it. I like culture. I like tradition. I kinda feel sorry for lots of today's mountain bikers, who went right from BigWheels or BMX to MTB, missing a whole lot of good road stuff along the way. All the really good lifelong riders I know and admire consider themselves cyclists, not MTBers or roadies.
    I'll take that a step further. The Euro faction has culture; here in the US we're still just some folks who ride bikes.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Roadies,
    But after mountain biking for 1yr i sold my road bike.Every rider is unique in his or her own way and have goals which are characterized by this.My passion for fitness is what made mountain biking so captivating and i have been doing so for 11yrs.
    Simply put,i would have to ride a road bike all week to achieve the same work-out i get in a 4hr ride in steep technical terrain in the mountains.
    And yes,i have a great deal of respect for all avid road riders,they seem to be the foundation of the whole realm of biking.

Nat
    mtbr member

Bmx?

Hmmmm...

BMX'ers have a style that is identifiable on or off the bike, though. The clothing, markings, etc. are full-time, yes? I don't picture a hard-core BMX'er wearing a polo shirt and slacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Nazi

mtbr member

Unicycle.

[QUOTE=bulC] I like culture. I like tradition. I kinda feel sorry for lots of today's mountain bikers, who went right from BigWheels or BMX to MTB, missing a whole lot of good road stuff along the way.

Talk about culture and tradition. A small and tight-knit group, but hard core to the bone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ont-Trail-Rider

?

I think that when you are talking culture relating to bikes.... We all must be fairly deep and enjoy cycling lots to actually go online and talk about it all the time here on MTBR.com.

We ALL share a common (BMX, road, various MTB styles) and that is we all love to be on two wheels!

To me that is the most important thing.
    Cheers!

gravity curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Hmmmm...

BMX'ers have a style that is identifiable on or off the bike, though. The clothing, markings, etc. are full-time, yes? I don't picture a hard-core BMX'er wearing a polo shirt and slacks.
    I'd guess demographics have a lot to do with that?

-------------
    As to the original question, I've never really thought about it. There seems to be a lot of passion in cyclists out there, from the commuters to racers and everyone inbetween. It is likely hard to delineate cyclists by groups, because I think a lot of cyclists blur the lines between groups. For example, I bike commute (to and from work every year since 1986), cruiser ride around town, tandem bike to the farmer's market with the wife, mountain bike (XC and dink with trials type of stuff, although I suck really, really bad at it), and road bike. Time, money, snowfree roads/trails, and other passions like skiing are the factors that limit me from other types of cycling, not age, interest, or the latest prime-time culture.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Culture is not deep in a one dimensional life

Ride whatever and whenever.

Jabberwocky Jockey

I have 4 bikes

a road bike, a cross bike, a singlespeed, and a fsxc. I love which ever one I am riding at the moment and I believe all of them combine to give me a more complete experience than if I only had one or two. I dislike "factions" except for one: Cyclist.

We are all one body joined by our love of pedaling our bikes.
    Calling out from the Land of the Riding Hillbilly.

www.vassagocycles.com
    www.ntmba.org

My Blog

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Visit the local skatepark

I have ridden every type of two wheel bike, and have found that style drove me. even as a little kid riding his "road" bike to the pool, I would jump speed bumps and drop off of curbs. Then I got my first 20" (thats a BMX bike). I got into street riding and dirtjumping. soccer forced me to quit riding hard, but I still played on campus. when I got my first mountain bike, I rode some cross country, but looked for things to jump over and off of. now I race downhill and mountaincross. I love dirt jumping and skatepark riding..especially on a "mountain bike". so thats my history.

This is the reason for my reply:

the 20" look has gone kind of preppy. It isn't uncommon to see the best riders sporting nice looking sweaters and pants that would pass for khakis. Last night I rode the park in a button down shirt (not saying I am good), but the image is shifting. I'm kind of old school so I still wear a lot of t-shirts and loose jeans when I ride, but there is a real healthy mix.

Whatever you ride, make sure it gets your endorphins going

jrm
    mtbr member

I think its individual

more than a generalization based on what someone rides or doesnt ride.