mtbr member

... and if we just ... Riding in Cantabria

Hello!!
    I live in Cantabria, a small country in the north coast o Spain. Cantabria is green and very hilly, with deep forests and golden sand beaches.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantabria
    I love mountainbike and i would like to share my "passion" with you. Cantabria is a paradise for mountainbike beacouse we have a lot of tracks (mainly fire roads and very few singletracks) althouh you must like to climb because there are mountains everywhere.
    I like to see the pics you post and i have noticed that there are diferences in the way of ride you have there in USA and the way of ride we have here in Cantabria. I think most of you like freeride and you use to wear wide clothes, here most of us are XC riders and nearly nobody wears wide clothes, here mountainbike is a kind of "continuation" of road cycling but going off road.
    I will post some miscelanea pics taken during my rides so that you can see how we ride, the kind of bikes we have and the cantabrian landscapes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    more pics

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cantabrian
    more pics
    Hey!! nice place ..Dont worry baggy close will come to you soon..

mtbr member
    and more pics

I hope you like it

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    Great pictures, beautiful country. Thanks for sharing, Fred

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

Preemptive Revenger
    Great Pictures! Thanks for sharing!

Maybe sometime I'll be able to visit your beautiful country.

And lucky you, no baggy clothes! I think they're mostly just worn by people who refuse to wear lycra because they think lycra is a fashion statement, but really lycra is all about functionality so in the end it is they themselves wearing clothes just for fashion!

Also, is Cantabria part of Spain, or is it an independent country? When are you going to have your own Tour de France team, a la Eusakel-Eusdaki???

Cheers!
    Tom
    Friends don't let friends give their money to NORBA.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Cantabria is part of Spain, is an autonomous region with its own parlament but it belongs to Spain

and we have a UCI protour cycling team: Saunier Duval Prodir, that has been running in the last Tour of France.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Great pics!

Reminds me of my trip to Spain in summer of 99'. I wasnt a biker yet, but spent 9 weeks in Spain, mostly northern Spain. So beautiful! My family in Spain lives in Madrid, but has a summer place in Santander. Spent a lot of time there. Picos de Europa is one of the most beautiful mountain ranges I have ever seen. (I think that is in Cantabria, maybe not)

Thanks, brings back great memories!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Nice pictures

Thanks for sharing. Looks like an awesome place to lay some single track. What sort of permissions would you need to get single track trails built in that area?

L1MEY
    Wonderful pics! Makes me miss Europe even more...

- Jen, lycra wearin' Brit

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    That's some serious climbing!!

mtbr member
    Magnifico! Gracias.
    Just another nighthawk at the diner

Rock -n-roll means well but it can't help tellin' young boys lies...

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cantabrian
    and more pics

I hope you like it
    Hi Cantabrian,

Looks great. Earlier this year a group of us went down to the South Coast of Spain (about 2.5 hours west of Malaga). Probably too mountainous for real XC, but we did get in an amazing 27km downhill.

Took the family to the French Pyrennees for the summer and there were some good rides there too.

From your photos, the terrain looks like Wales in the UK.

How easy is it to get there? Any airports near by?

Professional Nerd
    Wow, that looks completely amazing. I wish I could copy-paste myself into a few of those pictures. I'd ride in spandex with you guys, you look like a fun bunch! Baggy clothes employ the "form over function" mantra as mine are heavy, hot and shift around constantly.

We have plenty of single track around here, but every now and then I'm in the mood for a long, epic 50-60 mile mountain ride. Unfortunately, the only 50-60 milers around here are all pavement and I might as well take my road bike. You are very lucky to have such a beautiful place to ride. There are few things in life as great as a long hard mountain bike ride with a rewarding view at the turn-around point.

-Danimal

Map Maker
    wow Great pictures!
    great looking mountains. you guys are some seroius climbers! that looks like tons of fun. Thanks for the passion hit.

More pictures please!
    Richmond, VA
    Ra-MORE mtb club

mtbr member
    With pics like that, I hope you beome a regular contributer to this site.

I look forward to seeing more.

jps

mtbr member
    hy
    i'm glad you liked the pictures, i'll continue posting pictures of my rides if you want
    now i will try to answer your questions

Picos de Europa is one of the most beautiful mountain ranges I have ever seen. (I think that is in Cantabria, maybe not)
    yes, Picos de Europa is in Cantabria (part of them the other part is in Asturias and Leon) some of the pictures are taken there, in the Picos de Europa National Park.

What sort of permissions would you need to get single track trails built in that area?
    well, i think i have to propose it to the municipality and then they have to approve it but single tracks are not popular here.

How easy is it to get there? Any airports near by?
    Santander has an international airport, the irish Ryanair operates there with direct flights from London, Frankfurt and Rome. There are also several dairy connections with Madrid and Barcelone. Bilbao (1 hour away from Santander) has other international connections.

old skool newbie

Spain bike rental and trail info?

those picture are very cool. Nice views of the mountain valley and the climb up.

In a couple of weeks I will be farther south in Andalucia, Spain and would like more information about hiring a bike. We will be staying around lake Iznajar, near Cordoba, Malaga and Granada borders.

Any suggestions about bicycle shops? What about trails, roads or areas to look at? or maybe translating "singletrack", or "trailhead"...

here are some shots from the western slope in colorado
    Last edited by goldenboy; 09-27-2005 at 06:34 PM. Reason: haste

mtbr member
    Hello goldenboy
    I have never been in Andalucia but i have searched in the Net and this is what i have found:

To hire a bike try this link, here you can hire a bike for a whole week (in english):
    http://www.bikespain.info/

In lake Iznajar area some of the hotels and acommodation houses have bike hiring services for their customers, maybe you can hire a bike in your hotel.
    In the Tourist Office you can get information about trails and routes:

Iznajar Tourist Office
    Contact Address:
    Calle La Villa, s/n 14970 Iznajar (Córdoba)
    Tel. +34 957534304 /Fax +34 957534064

Rute Tourist Office (Rute is 16km away from Iznajar)
    Contact Address:
    Parque de Nuestra Señora del Carmen, s/n 14960 Rute (Córdoba)
    Tel. +34 957532929 /Fax +34 957532714

I have found a route there, here is a link to the description of the route (in english):
    Rute - Carcabuey

if i get more information i'll post it

old skool newbie

muy bein info

Thanks for the excellent information. I am feeling better about being away from bike already, and it sounds as if there is some good riding near where we are staying too.

All I could find on-line were pre-booked group tours and holidays. We are going on a family trip, so my priorities are not their priorities, otherwise a week long bike tour would be perfect.

Muchas gracias

Glad to Be Alive
    I love those high altidude pics....just amazing where people have gone on this forum
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Reviewer/Tester
    Excellent pics, thank you..

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    Sweet pics, loos like a great time. I love my baggys.
    Last edited by MTB1986; 09-29-2005 at 08:57 PM.
    Remember, "We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time".-D.Ritchie

rohloff rich
    Very nice. My wife and I started planning a road bike trip to Spain a couple of years ago and Picos de Europa was one of the possibilities. We ended up choosing to go to Catalonia and just got back a couple weeks ago. A trip report should be up soon.

A question for you Cantabrian: Do cantabrians speak castillian? As I'm sure you know, Catalonians speak catalan primarily and I was wondering if it is similar in Cantabria.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rs3o
    Very nice. My wife and I started planning a road bike trip to Spain a couple of years ago and Picos de Europa was one of the possibilities. We ended up choosing to go to Catalonia and just got back a couple weeks ago. A trip report should be up soon.

A question for you Cantabrian: Do cantabrians speak castillian? As I'm sure you know, Catalonians speak catalan primarily and I was wondering if it is similar in Cantabria.
    In Cantabria we speak castillian although in some valleys we speak a mixture between castillian and cantabrian and a few people speak only cantabrian.