Ride More, Whine Less

Rides with the family -- pure passion

As it turns out, I have posted several times about family rides. I actually enjoy slowing down and riding with the family. With all of the talk of kids on trails and posers in the parking lot, I thought I would come forward with a confession. I ride with my kids and I take my Superfly on rails to trails. Sure, I have way too much bike but I don't really care.

This weekend, we put 33 miles on the rails to trails as a family. My wife towed the younger 2 (ages 4 & 6) in a trailer for ~22 miles. I took the older two (11 and 13) an extra 10 miles so that the 11 year old could have at least 25 mile ride;he's working on the cycling merit badge now, but at mile 15 or so, he said he was done....I talked him into enjoying another 15 miles.

Here is my wife's blog entry:
    life with my 4 boys: Le Tour

So there it is. I ride with family and enjoy it!

and the GPS profile of the ride:

Now my oldest tore up the trail. He is the one that did the 50 on the same trail earlier in the year (50 miles - My oldest son's longest ride). He's grown into the bike nicely and you can tell he is getting more efficient. Both my wife and I are trying to talk him into the high school mtb team. We'll see.

Then there are the destination rides we take. One of my 6 year old's favorite rides is the 4 mile round trip to the gas station to get something...anything. It turns out everyone loves this ride, too. It is relatively safe with a bike path and a bridge over the busy road. My oldest made a little video for the photography merit badge (yes, we are heavily into scouting) to share his experience. For the Beatles fans out there, you'll enjoy the choice of music and the Abby Road inspired bridge crossing. And yes, that is my 6 year old climbing the bridge as if it was a flat.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Well done, nice video also. Riding anywhere with the family is fun. One thing that keeps popping into my head thinkin about your post is that your high schools have a mtn bike team.
    I live in the wrong state.