mtbr member
    Apr 2004

ride your main steed all year 'round?

I currently live in the desert SW. Likely gonna move in the next few months, either PNW or CO. I have this older steel HT. Thinking about selling it. So, here's the question: we rarely get mud here. When we do, you just don't ride b/c it'll trash the trails. So, I love my main ride (SC Tallboy) and never have a reason to ride the HT and haven't ridden it in 2 years. We might move back to the PNW, or maybe front range. Any need for a "winter bike" in these places? Or, just ride my main ride? Will pick up some other kinda commuter depending on where we end up...

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I live in the NE and have only one bike for all my riding [edit: One mountain bike, I have a steel commuter for that sort of stuff which I couldn't do without]. I'd of course like another, but that's totally unrelated to weather conditions. I generally think that one, well-maintained bike is fine if you're willing to risk a week of downtime if something would happen to it (I am).

The caveat for me is that I don't really ride in the winter. From mid-December until April I'm mostly skiing, so my bike is put away (at least it was this year given that we've had substantial snow the entire time). It's possible someone that bikes in the snow more would have a substantially different experience.

since 4/10/2009
    I have always ridden my main bike year round. I have usually lived in places where there's a chance for deep snow. Depending on the year, there are times where the snow has been just too deep to ride. But those times are infrequent enough that it's fine. I'm off the bike in winter more due to daily freeze/thaw cycles than anything.

There is definite value to have a 2nd bike floating around, even if it doesn't get ridden much. My wife had a mechanical on her main bike last spring that took months to sort out. Thankfully, she had a 2nd bike in reserve, so she could get out and ride while her main bike was down. She hasn't ridden the other bike since, but it's there. Not only that, but having a 2nd bike gives you the option to have a loaner bike for a friend who might be interested, or for someone visiting from out of town who needs a bike to ride, or whatever.

I live in an area where pretty much every trail is some kind of xc trail. Some have more rocks or more climbing than others, but they're all xc. If I lived in an area with mountains and more varied terrain, I'd be considering a 2nd bike (or a 3rd bike) that excelled at a different type of riding. Right now, both of my bikes are shorter travel XC bikes (new one is FS fat, the old one is just 26er FS). The FS fat bike is a bit more capable in the rough stuff than the old 26er FS, so I'm contemplating replacing the old 26er FS with a HT for the smoother, faster rides/trails. Not a huge difference in bike capability there, but definitely some difference in ride experience, at least.

I also have a dedicated commuter bike. I can equip it for gravel rides, pavement touring, or basic transportation as I choose. I usually keep it in basic transportation mode. That's the bike I can grab and ride right out of my garage.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by teleguy03 View Post
    I currently live in the desert SW. Likely gonna move in the next few months, either PNW or CO. I have this older steel HT. Thinking about selling it. So, here's the question: we rarely get mud here. When we do, you just don't ride b/c it'll trash the trails. So, I love my main ride (SC Tallboy) and never have a reason to ride the HT and haven't ridden it in 2 years. We might move back to the PNW, or maybe front range. Any need for a "winter bike" in these places? Or, just ride my main ride? Will pick up some other kinda commuter depending on where we end up...
    Well I can vouch for the Front Range of Colorado. No need for more than one bike here. Sure we get snow but it doesn't stick around for very long. The hardest part about getting riding done in the winter months are the temps. But if it's 30 one day it could be 60 or even 70 the following day. Not much moisture in the snow that does fall so it drys out quick.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:38 PM.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

V-Shaped Rut
    I used to live in the SW (Vegas) and now live in the Seattle area so I'm probably equipped to answer your question.

Yes, you can have one rig. Ride year round, wash when too muddy.

I do have an SS hardtail and a cross bike but just for variety, not because of mud.

So Stoked!
    I ride a ht year round. I switch tires and rims (to ride dirt or ice/snow). I take it to dj's as well. My other bike is strictly dh
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    I live near Seattle and I have two bikes. I ride both year around. Sometimes they get VERY muddy, but they wash off just fine (except sometimes crap in the brakes struggles to get out).

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I got back into biking in December of last year, and have only one decent bike. So yeah I will be riding it all year. Lemme just say that I really like that bike, and the new air coil shock that it sports. However, it is low end stuff.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    My main bike is a fatbike, I ride it all year round and have a 2nd set of 29er wheels for the sake of variation. I also have a road bike and a SSCX bike, all get ridden when the conditions permit.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    I live here in Hawaii. Lots of rocks, roots, ungroomed trails. Lots of climbing and descending steep, rough stuff. I also take my bike on a trip every year. BC Canada, New Zealand, CO, WA, OR........I want one bike that will allow me to climb and descend everything I might come across while I am exploring.