Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    the half breed devil

rich people passion

for some reason, i found the fact that this very expensive vehicle had a rack strapped on kind of amusing:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rich people passion-dscn1298.jpg  

Rogue Exterminator
    Well how else do you get bikes to where you need to get them if you drive a Bentley?

mtbr member
    yeah, because that's what all of us cash strapped people what to see... BUT somewhere i saw 2 Ferrari's with racks on them
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Well how else do you get bikes to where you need to get them if you drive a Bentley?
    you hire somebody to haul them for you...or buy a honda. if you own a bentley, you likely have that kind of money...

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    you hire somebody to haul them for you...or buy a honda. if you own a bentley, you likely have that kind of money...
    Maybe they spent all their money on that car.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    So one day I'm at a major trailhead in SoCal with a fellow MTBR member and we're waiting for a couple folks to show up. As we are waiting, a Bentley coupe pulls up and parks next to me. A middle aged man who was CLEARLY not in what would be described as "prime physical shape" gets out of the car, wearing a full shop kit (i.e., lycra shorts, jersey, etc. - it was not pretty) and walks to the back of the car, pulls his shoes out of the trunk and just waits. My buddy and I exchange glances and are like WTF? Where's this dude's bike?

A few moments later, another car pulls up, a man in a suit gets out, opens the trunk and pulls out a CF Niner (top of the line rig), hands it to Bentley man, says he'll be back in a couple hours and takes off.

Not kidding.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Happy Trails
    2 years ago I was loading up after a ride in the fabulous Frederick MD watershed. A giant custom touring van , like the kind that National Car Renal uses to shuttle people to and from the airport to the rental lot, pulls up to the Yellow Trail trail head on Gambrill Park road. Inside was all custom decked out with flat screen high def, window tint, microbrew mini-keg tap, leather and stainless, the whole enchilada. On back was a trailer, inside trailer over a half dozen premium trail bikes, several brands. All carbon. Four Asian dudes maybe 25 y/o in the van, one guy says , "Our buddy is rich and so we just drive around the USA from Cali to Maine riding all the great stuff we can. We move east and north through the Summer after riding all Winter and Spring and in Arizona, Utah, and Colorado. "

Serious. They were pretty good riders, too.

mtbr member
    I think I'm missing passion in this thread... unless it's a passion for attempting to look down your nose at other people because of their success and their choices.

I would say if someone's strapping a bike rack to their Bentley, they have passion. Why else would they risk scratching up that expensive car to put that bike rack on there?

And who's to say the guy in the Bentley with the full kit but, contrary to what must be your impeccable physical shape, is not in "what would be described as 'prime physical shape'" didn't find himself with some free time from work and called his executive/personal assistant to bring his bike over to the trail so he could grab a ride before going back to work? At least he's riding a mountain bike and not spending his money to close trails to us, right?

And, wouldn't you feel like a complete ass if you ran into him again and he just rode away from you on the trails??
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    I think I'm missing passion in this thread... unless it's a passion for attempting to look down your nose at other people because of their success and their choices.

I would say if someone's strapping a bike rack to their Bentley, they have passion. Why else would they risk scratching up that expensive car to put that bike rack on there?

And who's to say the guy in the Bentley with the full kit but, contrary to what must be your impeccable physical shape, is not in "what would be described as 'prime physical shape'" didn't find himself with some free time from work and called his executive/personal assistant to bring his bike over to the trail so he could grab a ride before going back to work? At least he's riding a mountain bike and not spending his money to close trails to us, right?

And, wouldn't you feel like a complete ass if you ran into him again and he just rode away from you on the trails??
    You're quick to make assumptions I see . . . how's that working out for you?
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    So one day I'm at a major trailhead in SoCal with a fellow MTBR member and we're waiting for a couple folks to show up. As we are waiting, a Bentley coupe pulls up and parks next to me. A middle aged man who was CLEARLY not in what would be described as "prime physical shape" gets out of the car, wearing a full shop kit (i.e., lycra shorts, jersey, etc. - it was not pretty) and walks to the back of the car, pulls his shoes out of the trunk and just waits. My buddy and I exchange glances and are like WTF? Where's this dude's bike?

A few moments later, another car pulls up, a man in a suit gets out, opens the trunk and pulls out a CF Niner (top of the line rig), hands it to Bentley man, says he'll be back in a couple hours and takes off.

Not kidding.
    So one day I pulled up to a major trail head in So Cal in my new Bentley coupe. I got out, went to the trunk and pulled out my shoes. I saw these two guys just looking at me. I thought WTF, aren't people with Bentleys allowed to ride mountain bikes? A couple minutes later my butler pulled up with my new Niner, and I was off for a good two hour ride. The whole ride I was thinking, these poor saps have to haul their own bikes! Oh BTW, I was wearing baggies and I looked in better shape then both of the guys looking at me. I think I saw them on the other side of their car holding hands.

Not kidding.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    Incoming: 2008 Lotus Exige S 240
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

AZ
    banned
    Any self respecting MTBers bike costs more than their car, I want to see what cost more than the Bentley.

DIY all the way
    I see this kind of stuff frequently.

We are a few guys who have a company together. Some of the other guys does this sort of thing from time to time.
    The story behind is that they often just have a bit of free time, and choose to do whatever hobby they have.
    I spare no chance to make fun of them, but to be honest, at least they do something, which is a big plus.

To them I'm the village idiot that don't have a car, makes things myself, and so forth.

All in good jest.

Magura

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Any self respecting MTBers bike costs more than their car, I want to see what cost more than the Bentley.
    I couldn't find one more expensive.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

DIY all the way
    [QUOTE=AZ.MTNS;9928147]Any self respecting MTBers bike costs more than their car,

I try to explain this at every opportunity

Magura

mtbr member
    I think the only thing amusing about it is the kind of rack. I guess I never thought about it, but I figured for enough money you could get a rack that didn't strap on to the trunk.

Doesn't anybody make a receiver hitch that fits a Bentley? No? Really?

Does Saris show Bentley's in their application listings?

I wonder what kind of bike he hauls on it? Probably a lower end Trek. I heard that those racks can scratch your frame. Wouldn't want to scratch a nice bike.

Seriously though, cool that they have enough passion for the bike that they strap on to a nice car like that.
    I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by 11 Bravo View Post
    Doesn't anybody make a receiver hitch that fits a Bentley? No? Really?
    Plenty of people have receivers fabricated for their cars/trucks. I was close to buying a 370Z and uhaul was going to fabricate and build me one for free, so they could fit them to others that wanted em. If you can afford a bently, you can afford to have one fabricated.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Rogue Exterminator
    Well, for fuks sake, has anyone ever seen the trunk on these things?

I mean seriously, if I can fit my 29er in the trunk of my little car, they certainly can fit their bike in the trunk of that thing.

Hell, for that matter if you put a ramp on it, I could park my car in the trunk of that thing.

DIY all the way
    I've never seen a Bentley from the inside, but the Kleemann E55 (based on a Mercedes E55) we used to test composite brakes, had a trunk big enough for easily throwing a bike in.

I assume the Bentley is not far from that.

Magura

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Krapao Gai View Post
    This is simply the retarded pap that economically challenged riders propagate to make themselves feel better about the socio-economic condition that they find themselves trapped in.

Thanks for playing!

Speaking of retarded, jump to conclusions much?

AZ
    banned
    This is simply the retarded pap that economically challenged riders propagate to make themselves feel better about the socio-economic condition that they find themselves trapped in.

Thanks for playing!

Uhm, wow. Glad you think that you know so much about my economic state. Moron much? Sarcasm escapes you, I must remember to use smilies so that the slow ones like yourself can get it too. Bombs away.

banned
    Oct 2012
    Sock puppet. Trust me, I know about sock puppets.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    You're quick to make assumptions I see . . . how's that working out for you?
    Not so good... I don't see any assumptions I made, just questions I asked. Well, OK, based on your comment about his physical shape, I did assume that you had the right to make that comment because of your superior physical condition.

Was I wrong?

Were you perhaps comparing his shape to yours, then?
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Whatever vehicle you've got, you find a way to strap a bike to it!

Ok, two more.

How about a car being carried on a bike?

Last edited by BobbyWilliams; 12-02-2012 at 06:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Your posting history proceeds you dimwit.

Try again?
    A hole 5 posts, 0 rep and name calling. Not a great way to start!

Oh, I forgot, no sense of humor.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Rogue Exterminator
    Amazing how something as simple as a bike rack on a car can result in members bickering and name calling.

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast