Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 225 of 484
  1. #201
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    11,271
    Quote Originally Posted by stencil View Post
    Shows what I know... I thought Porsches were RWD (the 997s are).

    I drive a relatively nice car (not a 911 by any means), an Audi A5, and I use it for everything from a night out with the wife to the car I bring to the trail head with a rack on top. If I didn't plan on actually using it with its AWD in the snow and dirt, I wouldn't have bought it.

    Now here's the flip side - people who get expensive offroad cars like Range Rovers and never take them off road.
    Around here in winter for about 2 weeks at least driving on the road might as well be off-road driving

  2. #202
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3,124
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Really? I find them quite classy.
    I think they looked good back in the day. I guess they look about as good as one of those pimped out Chrysler 300s with giant useless wheels.

  3. #203
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbnozpikr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,684
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    I'd have to disagree with this one. In fact, Porsche (not sure if you consider them beautiful cars or not) has a campaign called "Porsche Everyday" and emphasize their cars aren't supposed to be put in the garage and just brought on sunny Sundays. They're for everyday, all weather use.
    That's fine but most Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Porsches, and other exotics are track cars. You may be able to throw all season tires on and run on the snow but they were designed for racing and you will simply not be able to do what they were designed for outside of the closed course track. I do think that much (not all) of what Porsche does is beautiful.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

  4. #204
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mountain Cycle Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,788
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnozpikr View Post
    That's fine but most Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Porsches, and other exotics are track cars. You may be able to throw all season tires on and run on the snow but they were designed for racing and you will simply not be able to do what they were designed for outside of the closed course track. I do think that much (not all) of what Porsche does is beautiful.
    Very few people who own exotics use them as track cars.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

  5. #205
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3,124
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Very few people who own exotics use them as track cars.
    Hey, in Silicon Valley about half have automatics!

  6. #206
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mountain Cycle Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,788
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Hey, in Silicon Valley about half have automatics!
    I'm sorry to hear that!
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

  7. #207
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbnozpikr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,684
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Very few people who own exotics use them as track cars.
    I agree with you 100% but it does not change what the car was designed to do. I have been in living in Houston for six months now and have seen more exotics than ever before. Last place that had so many was when I was in Tokyo and Yokohama. A couple of weeks ago I was down town heading to work and I heard the high revving scream of a white Lexus LFA's V10. He pulled into the building across the street from where I work.

    It's interesting though because I think that there were many more exotic bikes (mountain bikes that is) when I was at school up in Utah...
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

  8. #208
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,309
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Hey, in Silicon Valley about half have automatics!
    That's because most no longer come in a traditional manual.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  9. #209
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    870
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Oh no you can't! Do you know how many pairs of panties you can collect driving a Bentley around?
    You got me there man.

  10. #210
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3,124
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    That's because most no longer come in a traditional manual.
    That's sad. Can't say I'd even want one then.

  11. #211
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PerfectZero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,039
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Oh no you can't! Do you know how many pairs of panties you can collect driving a Bentley around?
    Especially with a bike rack!
    definite malingerer

  12. #212
    the half breed devil
    Reputation: shekky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,179
    my "if i were ultra rich" fantasy involves mega-sized mopar luxury from the late sixties/early seventies...god, oh god, oh god, these cars would FLY! (and i'd strap a bike rack to it in a heartbeat)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rich people passion-1971lebaron.jpeg  


  13. #213
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skiahh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,534
    Quote Originally Posted by sxotty View Post
    People that can afford very high end cars buy them b/c they want them. Not because they need transportation. You can get the same transportation way cheaper. They are partially toys and there is absolutely nothing at all wrong with that. If a person wants to put snow tires and jack up a lambo or some other toy that is perfectly fine. However it doesn't suddenly make the vehicle practical. BTW I saw a guy in a porsche cayenne spinning out all over in the snow while we drove easily thru it in my subaru. So apparently it wasn't that good after all (I have to assume he either had silly tires or did not know how to drive very well, but it was still a bit humorous).
    Hey, I never said anything about practicality!! Though there are some aspects that can make some of these expensive cars as practical as a less expensive option. Notice I didn't say anything about value, either. We bought a nicer car for my wife who does use it as a daily driver. With the car seat and all that goes with a youngster in the backseat, too... crumbs, spilled juice etc. Still, we like the car can afford it and it should have great longevity with the diesel engine. I actually sometimes feel uncomfortable driving it, like I don't make enough to be driving a car like that. Image marketing works! I haven't put a bike rack on it, though... YET!

    As for the Cayenne, you can't blame the car. I see more people who get in trouble in the SUVs or AWD vehicles than many in FWD or RWD cars. People understand 4WD and AWD go much better in the snow and generally handle better (assuming you don't do stupid stuff) but utterly fail to recognize they won't stop better than any other car with 4 wheel brakes and, in most cases, worse because of the extra weight of the second axle drive components.

    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnozpikr View Post
    That's fine but most Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Porsches, and other exotics are track cars. You may be able to throw all season tires on and run on the snow but they were designed for racing and you will simply not be able to do what they were designed for outside of the closed course track. I do think that much (not all) of what Porsche does is beautiful.
    Again, I have to disagree. They are not track cars. If they were, they wouldn't have the creature comforts and many of the safety items that are required for cars designed for the road. They are designed with racing inspired features and do well and are a boatload of fun on the track, but they are designed as road cars.

    I will agree, however, that you will not be able to make full use of their capabilities on the roads in this country, though in Montana you might be able to have some fun for about a hundred bucks. If you get caught!
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

  14. #214
    the half breed devil
    Reputation: shekky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,179
    Quote Originally Posted by manbat View Post
    Looks like something out of a lame 1970s clint eastwood movie..right turn clyde

    Can imagine the roll going round a corner on a car like that and the mpg...scrap it rofl

    Edit...multiply the roll by a factor of 20 after 150 mg of alchohol
    the chrysler imperial was not meant to corner; rather, it was meant to gracefully cruise down arrow-straight interstate 70 between columbus and indianapolis at 80mph...

  15. #215
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    870
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Again, I have to disagree. They are not track cars. If they were, they wouldn't have the creature comforts and many of the safety items that are required for cars designed for the road. They are designed with racing inspired features and do well and are a boatload of fun on the track, but they are designed as road cars.

    I will agree, however, that you will not be able to make full use of their capabilities on the roads in this country, though in Montana you might be able to have some fun for about a hundred bucks. If you get caught!
    Well in Montana if you are driving down the freeway you won't have all that much fun or make use of most of their capabilities since it is just a straight line anyway You can have more fun and obey the posted speed limit in many many places if you get on twisty roads. Of course one could still be charged with reckless driving.

  16. #216
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3,124
    Quote Originally Posted by manbat View Post
    Looks like something out of a lame 1970s clint eastwood movie..right turn clyde

    Can imagine the roll going round a corner on a car like that and the mpg...scrap it rofl

    Edit...multiply the roll by a factor of 20 after 150 mg of alchohol
    I'm pretty sure the original designers were drunk as well as most of the buyers!

  17. #217
    the half breed devil
    Reputation: shekky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,179
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    I'm pretty sure the original designers were drunk as well as most of the buyers!
    Elwood Engel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  18. #218
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    That's sad. Can't say I'd even want one then.
    The new flappy-flap tiptronics are actually quite nice. And quicker than a stick-style shifter.

  19. #219
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3,124
    Quote Originally Posted by stencil View Post
    The new flappy-flap tiptronics are actually quite nice. And quicker than a stick-style shifter.
    Call me old school, but I just like a clutch.

  20. #220
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,510
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Call me old school, but I just like a clutch.
    I used to say that....

    ...but since I got my M3 clutchless flappy paddle gearbox track car. Yes it sees the track pretty often. Without a clutch, the left foot can take over braking - and that opens up a whole new world of control.

    -S

  21. #221
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post
    I used to say that....

    ...but since I got my M3 clutchless flappy paddle gearbox track car. Yes it sees the track pretty often. Without a clutch, the left foot can take over braking - and that opens up a whole new world of control.

    -S
    What he said.

    Remember when you said you'd never give up your XT thumbshifters (maybe I'm aging myself here, but some might get this reference)?

  22. #222
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3,124
    Quote Originally Posted by stencil View Post
    What he said.

    Remember when you said you'd never give up your XT thumbshifters (maybe I'm aging myself here, but some might get this reference)?
    I haven't had a shifter on a bike in 20 years, but I get your drift. I do sometimes "speed shift" my Subaru without a clutch - so I can tell it would be very fast. I can go through the gears pretty fast that way.

  23. #223
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chas_martel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,482
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    That's sad. Can't say I'd even want one then.
    They're doing away with manuals because the clutch-less transmissions result in faster cars.

    I believe Ferrari has done away with clutches as of this year. I believe Lambo is to follow.

    I myself prefer shifting BUT recognize the clutch-less cars are indeed faster.

    What does everyone think about traction control? I've argued endlessly with my 17 year old about keeping the traction control on in his car. He equates the sound of tires spinning with faster speeds. Nothing could be further from the truth.
    Nobody cares...........

  24. #224
    change is good
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,749
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post
    2 years ago I was loading up after a ride in the fabulous Frederick MD watershed. A giant custom touring van , like the kind that National Car Renal uses to shuttle people to and from the airport to the rental lot, pulls up to the Yellow Trail trail head on Gambrill Park road. Inside was all custom decked out with flat screen high def, window tint, microbrew mini-keg tap, leather and stainless, the whole enchilada. On back was a trailer, inside trailer over a half dozen premium trail bikes, several brands. All carbon. Four Asian dudes maybe 25 y/o in the van, one guy says , "Our buddy is rich and so we just drive around the USA from Cali to Maine riding all the great stuff we can. We move east and north through the Summer after riding all Winter and Spring and in Arizona, Utah, and Colorado. "

    Serious. They were pretty good riders, too.
    Instead of male friends, I would hire a female "assistant".

  25. #225
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    870
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_martel View Post
    What does everyone think about traction control? I've argued endlessly with my 17 year old about keeping the traction control on in his car. He equates the sound of tires spinning with faster speeds. Nothing could be further from the truth.
    Traction control makes worse drivers able to drive more quickly or more safely. So it is sort of a wash. The first car I ever drove with flappy shifters and traction control I pushed extremely hard and man it really worked well. Whether it is a good idea (safety? speed? whatever the goal) or not just depends on a whole lot of other factors.

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •