Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    this thread is becoming more amusing than the original pic!
    definite malingerer

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sambs827 View Post
    That's exactly my point, actually. If daddy is taking time to take his kids to ride bikes, it shows that not only is he successful professionally but just might turn out to be a successful parent as well.
    Honestly I was just relating my observations, but they don't imply the kids are turning out poorly just because they are cared for by nannies. If the parents take time to find good nannies it can still work out pretty well. Does that still qualify as a good parenting? If the results are the same one could certainly argue that taking time to find quality care takers does.

"El Whatever"
    Sudden realization...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rich people passion-astonmartin.jpg  

Check my Site

Rogue Exterminator
    I find it funny that people find expensive cars with bike racks funny but never seem to laugh at $500 cars with $12k worth of bikes funny.

(dollar amounts are claimed by owner)
    Downhill bike racks for cars

Quote Originally Posted by arkon11 View Post
    Any good riding around Ashville? I visited the Biltmore Mansion last year with my family, and the area was beautiful.

Someone should be a massive road gap over the driveway leading to the mansion
    Seriously?

The areas around here are the premier riding areas on the East Coast.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    I find it funny that people find expensive cars with bike racks funny but never seem to laugh at $500 cars with $12k worth of bikes funny.
    It is funny, but funny awesome

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    ooo, man, i bought a 626 like that right when i got out of college, but the greenish color. I loved that car. some knucklehead (not me!) totalled it.

Flow like water
    Ain't y'all ever seen a fishin' car? That's a $100 car on the Carolina coast, with $2000 of salt water fishing gear on it.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

OK i otta get the windex to clean my screen now! LOL
    “An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

beater
    You guys are doing it all wrong.

It isn't how you get the bikes to the trail, it is how many you can get there at one time.

Now this guy has passion!
    This guy is doing it more right, then:
    rich people passion-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354893783.465144.jpg

Picture taken by a friend years ago in downtown Missoula.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnozpikr View Post
    Absolutely beautiful cars not really designed to be driven in the snow nor to be used as commuting vehicles
    I'd have to disagree with this one. In fact, Porsche (not sure if you consider them beautiful cars or not) has a campaign called "Porsche Everyday" and emphasize their cars aren't supposed to be put in the garage and just brought on sunny Sundays. They're for everyday, all weather use.

I suspect that high end brand markets are torn between the "exclusivity" of people thinking like you do, thereby creating the rarity of these cars and wanting people to think they can be useful, not just fluffy non-functional cars, and therefore be willing to shell out that kind of money to buy them.

A car is a piece of machinery, no matter how beautiful, and if you can't use it like a CAR, then no matter what the cost, it's not worth it. If you're buying a piece of art, or an investment, great. Buy it for that and use it like that; set up a showplace somewhere and watch its value go up... but a "run of the mill" Lambo (or Bentley or Ferrari) isn't art and should be used in the rain or snow, for commuting, hauling bikes or whatever.

Just my .02.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Cow Clicker
    ^^^Agree. This is they way most people with A LOT of money treat them compared to people who buy them to impress others.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    I have been on both sides of this equation. In college/bike shop days my bikes were always way more expensive than my cars. Now I am the guy pulling up in an expensive car with a high end bike. When I built up my last bike and posted some photos I got roasted on a local site because it was leaning up against the back of my car. People freaked out thinking that I did it on purpose, but actually it was 1:30 in the morning and it was the most convenient place to put it. I can tell you that I love riding as much as anyone on here so don't automatically write someone off based on their car. Go up and start a conversation and you may be surprised.

BTW I love seeing exotic cars with racks on them and have seen everything from a Ferrari F40 to a Porsche GT2 (I actually have a photo collection of these). In my bike shop days I had to stuff bikes into Bentley etc on a regular basis. I always thought it was awesome. And just to contribute here is a good color combo picture.

GT2 that is daily driven (not me)

And one last cool one

the half breed devil
    if you are wealthy enough to own a very expensive car, it is likely that you don't need to "commute"...however, why not drive your supercar day in and day out?

i'm curious as to owns the car in my original post, since it was parked in my neighborhood--and my neighborhood is NOT one where people own mega pricey automobiles.

maybe one of my neighbors got the ride of his/her life that sunday, in more ways than one...

mtbr member
    Used Bentleys are not that expensive relatively speaking. Used they are around $70K, or about the same as a new 5 series BMW.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Used Bentleys are not that expensive relatively speaking. Used they are around $70K, or about the same as a new 5 series BMW.
    You can buy some nice used Ferraris for way less then that, and Porsches for even less.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    I'd have to disagree with this one. In fact, Porsche (not sure if you consider them beautiful cars or not) has a campaign called "Porsche Everyday" and emphasize their cars aren't supposed to be put in the garage and just brought on sunny Sundays. They're for everyday, all weather use.

I suspect that high end brand markets are torn between the "exclusivity" of people thinking like you do, thereby creating the rarity of these cars and wanting people to think they can be useful, not just fluffy non-functional cars, and therefore be willing to shell out that kind of money to buy them.

A car is a piece of machinery, no matter how beautiful, and if you can't use it like a CAR, then no matter what the cost, it's not worth it. If you're buying a piece of art, or an investment, great. Buy it for that and use it like that; set up a showplace somewhere and watch its value go up... but a "run of the mill" Lambo (or Bentley or Ferrari) isn't art and should be used in the rain or snow, for commuting, hauling bikes or whatever.

Just my .02.
    I agree for the most part, BUT:

1) I would not want to be driving a Porsche (911 or Cayman or Boxster at least) in the snow
    2) How many of us have different bikes for road and trail, and even different bikes for XC and downhill? Seems kinda... similar. Just sayin'.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    You can buy some nice used Ferraris for way less then that, and Porsches for even less.
    The more expensive (and unreliable) the car, the worse the resale value. Warren Buffett drives a 7 year old caddy, btw.

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    from los gatos bentley:

Bentley Los Gatos - Pre-Owned Search

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by stencil View Post
    1) I would not want to be driving a Porsche (911 or Cayman or Boxster at least) in the snow
    2) How many of us have different bikes for road and trail, and even different bikes for XC and downhill? Seems kinda... similar. Just sayin'.
    In principle I agree, but...

1) A convertible or cabrio, well, no. But the 911 would be a terrific one with proper tyres. All wheel drive, traction control, several suspension settings, etc. Ride height may be an issue, but so it is in summer.

2) As a general rule, bikes are a little more affordable than Porsches. Would you be rich, well you are correct. A second car would be on order. But then there's people that just have enough money to afford a car like that, even if it is a little of a sacrifice. That may be the only car for people like that and in cold places, you may have no option but to drive your expensive car.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    In principle I agree, but...

1) A convertible or cabrio, well, no. But the 911 would be a terrific one with proper tyres. All wheel drive, traction control, several suspension settings, etc. Ride height may be an issue, but so it is in summer.

2) As a general rule, bikes are a little more affordable than Porsches. Would you be rich, well you are correct. A second car would be on order. But then there's people that just have enough money to afford a car like that, even if it is a little of a sacrifice. That may be the only car for people like that and in cold places, you may have no option but to drive your expensive car.
    Shows what I know... I thought Porsches were RWD (the 997s are).

I drive a relatively nice car (not a 911 by any means), an Audi A5, and I use it for everything from a night out with the wife to the car I bring to the trail head with a rack on top. If I didn't plan on actually using it with its AWD in the snow and dirt, I wouldn't have bought it.

Now here's the flip side - people who get expensive offroad cars like Range Rovers and never take them off road.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    from los gatos bentley:

Bentley Los Gatos - Pre-Owned Search
    So ugly, they remind me of the tastelessness of Donald Trump.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post

Just my .02.
    People that can afford very high end cars buy them b/c they want them. Not because they need transportation. You can get the same transportation way cheaper. They are partially toys and there is absolutely nothing at all wrong with that. If a person wants to put snow tires and jack up a lambo or some other toy that is perfectly fine. However it doesn't suddenly make the vehicle practical. BTW I saw a guy in a porsche cayenne spinning out all over in the snow while we drove easily thru it in my subaru. So apparently it wasn't that good after all (I have to assume he either had silly tires or did not know how to drive very well, but it was still a bit humorous).

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hitek79 View Post
    I've ridden with poor guys that smoked me, and rich guys that smoked me. Moral of the story, I'm slow.
    +1

Drive and ride like you stole it and enjoy the good times!

-RW

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    So ugly, they remind me of the tastelessness of Donald Trump.
    Really? I find them quite classy.
    Last edited by Mountain Cycle Shawn; 12-07-2012 at 01:15 PM.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sxotty View Post
    You can get the same transportation way cheaper.
    Oh no you can't! Do you know how many pairs of panties you can collect driving a Bentley around?
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast