Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Could very easily be true. OMG we agree!
    I'll put an end to that at my earliest inconvenience

Magura

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post
    I'll put an end to that at my earliest inconvenience

Magura
    Yeah, we probably both will.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Dissolved member
    5) Parking lot poseur's heyday with a loaner.

mtbr member
    6) A politician spending tax payers money on a rental.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    thanks to the d!ckheads who are giving me negative rep for pointing out that i am AMUSED at something.

have the balls to sign it next time.
    Stand by for the next round; the folks who will neg rep you for having the audacity of mentioning you got neg rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    It is amusing. I agree with you.

Not because I hate on people for being successful (quite opposite - I love money), it's because I find irony in the fact that somebody took the time and energy to accumulate, purchase a very expensive car (and probably has a handful of other toys - cars, motorcycles, boats, house(s) with all the fixin's, etc.), but yet skimps on practicality and utility.

In my opinion, a rich person with a true passion for cycling, would have a specific car for cycling - like a utility vehicle, truck, or even as something as badass as Ailuropoda's car. IF I had that sort of money, I would skip out on buying a boat, and direct that money towards a sweet MTB vehicle with all the fixin's.

When somebody is hauling bikes on their Bentley or Ferrari they either 1) Don't care about the car (which means it was a gift, because anybody who earned the money to purchase such a car would cherish it), 2) putting on airs i.e. showing off or 3) they're STUPID. In all cases, it's a slap in the face of those of us who love cycling (and would be more practical about acquiring a proper vehicle for hauling bikes, especially if you have the money to do so) and shun posers.
    Wow - I've been called out for making some assumptions in this thread, but these are some doozies!
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

I am the Tin Man!
    Has anyone looked into the possibility that it may belong to Barry Bonds? California, Bentley, and he has become quite the road biker in the last few years. Every article that mentions him on a bike has to point out that his bike cost 16 grand. If I had his money my bike would cost a lot more than that.
    Flying the HiFi...Clyde style.

SOMEBODY I LOVE NEEDS A HEART!

I AM AN ORGAN DONOR, ARE YOU?

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    It won't run long enough to get that hot.
    heheheheh...

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    For different reasons.
    snip
    They look cool, and with enough engineering and $$$ you can make it comparable to a "right side up" fork, but with the same amount of engineering work and $$$ you could make a right-side-up fork even stiffer and lighter.
    Interesting. Never thought about what was going on inside...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailuropoda View Post
    You are all amateurs. This is my car. Seriously.

It has air conditioning, a radio, two front seats and that's about it. The ideal car.

It fits the girlfriend's bike, gets reasonable gas mileage, was inexpensive, and I make enough money to easily afford a much nicer car except cars don't interest me at all.
    I keep eyeballing those for myself. It seems like it would also be decent to sleep in. I like to have 4 people every now and then, though, and a little more pep. The next gen TransitConnect is looking pretty good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    So one day I pulled up to a major trail head in So Cal in my new Bentley coupe. I got out, went to the trunk and pulled out my shoes. I saw these two guys just looking at me. I thought WTF, aren't people with Bentleys allowed to ride mountain bikes? A couple minutes later my butler pulled up with my new Niner, and I was off for a good two hour ride. The whole ride I was thinking, these poor saps have to haul their own bikes! Oh BTW, I was wearing baggies and I looked in better shape then both of the guys looking at me. I think I saw them on the other side of their car holding hands.

Not kidding.
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyplumber View Post
    Has anyone looked into the possibility that it may belong to Barry Bonds? California, Bentley, and he has become quite the road biker in the last few years.
    Do I look like Barry Bonds to you?
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyplumber View Post
    Has anyone looked into the possibility that it may belong to Barry Bonds? California, Bentley, and he has become quite the road biker in the last few years. Every article that mentions him on a bike has to point out that his bike cost 16 grand. If I had his money my bike would cost a lot more than that.
    the photo was taken about a block from my house. no, the car does not belong to barry bonds...

mtbr member
    Oh, that Bentley. Sorry
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Wow - I've been called out for making some assumptions in this thread, but these are some doozies!
    Absolutely. I won't take some fake stance "Oh... who are we to judge?"

Everybody judges, and I am judged. This whole forum judges - heck, even by the name of it as a "review" site, means we scrutinize everything from brake cables to complete bikes and bike shops. So, I will not try to fake it say that I wouldn't judge if I saw something as stupid as a bike rack on a $250,000 sports car.

Conversely, when people put $3,000 wheels and tires on a $1,000 P.O.S. - it's stupid. When 24 yr. old beautiful women get plastic surgery, screwing up perfectly natural beauty - it's stupid. And desecrating a beautiful $250,000 Italian sports car, that many can only come close to at car shows and dreams going back to childhood - costing more than what many people will take many years of work to equal that amount... with a $200 bike rack? It's STUPID.

It's their money... do what they want - it affects me in no way. But it's still stupid, which is why Shekky found it amusing, and I do too.

People will probably want to leave me negative rep for that. Don't waste your time. I haven't read my rep since MTBR implemented the rep system, and never intend to.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Olasher View Post
    No, I think it is legit.....
    It looks like a computer generated rendering to me. This bike may exist, but that's not a real picture.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    It looks like a computer generated rendering to me. This bike may exist, but that's not a real picture.
    I saw a vid of a guy riding it somewhere, so it's real alright.

Magura

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    Obviously the image I posted is a rendering, but the bike is real.

mtbr member
    for some reason, i found the fact that this very expensive vehicle had a rack strapped on kind of amusing:
    I found the pic amusing.

tl;dr the rest of the thread.
    definite malingerer

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    As to forks being upside down and no brace ,have you looked at any motocross bikes lately or for that matter a Maverick or Mountain cycle fork?

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    As to forks being upside down and no brace ,have you looked at any motocross bikes lately or for that matter a Maverick or Mountain cycle fork?
    USD single crown forks, simply has no place. Think about it and you'll see why.

Magura

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    MX bikes don't have to worry about weight to much. So, they can make the forks as massive as need be to do a proper job. And, the Mountain Cycle forks weren't very stiff.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

the half breed devil
    all this talk about USD forks makes me think of halson designs:

RARE Purple Ano 1" Halson Designs 'PDS Inversion' Bicycle Suspension Fork Rad | eBay

i have never seen one in the flesh...

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Olasher View Post
    No, I think it is legit.....
    It is legit, but what you failed to mention is that it's an electric bike.
    Audi Introduces New E-bike – Wörthersee Electric Bicycle | Mountain Bike Review

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    No reason to think so deeply about this.........just ride by, point and laugh and carry on.

Rogue Exterminator
    thanks to the d!ckheads who are giving me negative rep for pointing out that i am AMUSED at something.

have the balls to sign it next time.
    Get used to it, b!tches will act like b!tches and anonymously give negative rep because they have no balls.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    all this talk about USD forks makes me think of halson designs:

RARE Purple Ano 1" Halson Designs 'PDS Inversion' Bicycle Suspension Fork Rad | eBay

i have never seen one in the flesh...
    so why does it have bellows at the top?

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    so why does it have bellows at the top?
    i dunno.

i do know these things were upside down forks, though. i used to see ads for them in all the magazines and read a few reviews. can't find jack on the internets about them, though.

the half breed devil
    link: Ventana Marble Peak Mountain Bike Action, April 1995 | Ventana Mountain Bikes USA

quote from link:

"…& THAT INVERTED FORK
    An inverted suspension fork is a great idea on paper. The strongest part of a fork needs to be at the top, next to the crown. It makes good engineering sense to use the large-diameter alloy part on the top, and put the smaller-diameter, moving part on the bottom. Not only is this a better use of materials, supporting the bearings and sealing its moving parts is made easier with an inverted arrangement. Known as “upside-down forks,” the idea has been borrowed from motorcycles (even though professional motorcycle racers are returning to right-side-up forks).

The fly in the ointment of upside-down forks is the brakes. They must be close to the rim, and that means ten inches above the front axle. Since the upper part closest to the rim of upside-down forks doesn’t move, it’s hard to get the brakes to follow the rim. This problem has sidetracked most inverted fork concepts into the waste can. Halson Inversion forks solved this problem by slotting the upper alloy section of its fork. The cantilever bosses move up and down inside the vertical slots without having to depend on a disc brake. You get superb bearing overlap, increased rigidity and less unsprung weight (the part of the suspension that follows the ground on upside-down forks).

There are no contact seals (oil or dust) in the Inversion fork. One all-enveloping rubber boot seals the lower legs, brake bosses and moving brake bridge. No contact seals means less stiction and better low-end suspension performance. The forks come with a million elastomer elements in different durometers for fine-tuning purposes. To remove its elastomer shish-kebab, unscrew the caps on the top of the fork crown and the entire assembly pops out.

Did the Inversion forks live up to their lofty expectations? Actually, yes. Every rider in the evaluation was skeptical of the big black fork. Each returned with a similar comment: “These forks work pretty good.” That’s the long and short of Halson Inversion forks: they are good all-around performers, well-suited for full-suspension bikes–and, hey, they come stock with 2.375 inches of travel."

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast