Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
    the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    So, 200k+ for a VW? Wow, can I have "tool" tattooed on my forehead too?
    the VW phaeton did not exactly fly off the lots...

AZ
    banned
    When I was a kid we had a 1967 Jag, nice car to drive if/when it started. Lucas electrical, two small gas tanks, lots of leather seals everywhere, crazy inboard rear disk brakes. It did have an independent rear rear end and overhead cams - have Americans invented these two features yet?

IRS is nothing new, Corvettes (1963) have had them for decades and there are plenty of American cars with overhead cams (Pontiac in 1966). None however with the worst electrical system ever inflicted on man though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    IRS is nothing new, Corvettes (1963) have had them for decades and there are plenty of American cars with overhead cams (Pontiac in 1966). None however with the worst electrical system ever inflicted on man though.
    I was kidding a bit as American companies are very slow adopters, but I'd rather have a classic American car any day over the Jag.

AZ
    banned
    I don't know, I'd love to have an XKE Roadster. One of the most beautiful cars ever made imo.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I don't know, I'd love to have an XKE Roadster. One of the most beautiful cars ever made imo.
    I agree, perhaps the most beautiful ... when they start.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    Volkswagen Phaeton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The Phaeton's platform, the Volkswagen Group D1 platform, is shared with the Bentley Continental GT and Bentley Continental Flying Spur."
    I remember when the Phaeton came out because of the W12. Wikipedia claims it is still in production but I wonder how many people have ever even seen one, at least in the U.S.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

the half breed devil
    that and the porsche 917. IMHO...

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnozpikr View Post
    I remember when the Phaeton came out because of the W12. Wikipedia claims it is still in production but I wonder how many people have ever even seen one, at least in the U.S.
    i've seen a phaeton in san francisco. they're indistinguishable from any other VW until you take a harder look at them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    i've seen a phaeton in san francisco. they're indistinguishable from any other VW until you take a harder look at them.
    Me too and they're just about as ugly as a new large MB, I might add. New Golf looks better and in GTI form would be more fun too.

the half breed devil
    Me too and they're just about as ugly as a new large MB, I might add. New Golf looks better and in GTI form would be more fun too.
    call me a retro-freak but give me the immaculately restored '69 or '70 imperial with ALL the bells and whistles...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    call me a retro-freak but give me the immaculately restored '69 or '70 imperial with ALL the bells and whistles...
    I'm a bit of a retro freak too, even preferring old BMWs and classic MBs over the stuff they offer now. The new stuff often lacks any personally.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    im a sitting but a few minutes from where the op took the shot. looks like its in the sunset. im at 19th and ocean lol

Hella Olde
    Speaking of richness and 917s and sitting.....these are $6500

crap see next....

Hella Olde
    Richness + 917 + sitting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rich people passion-917chair.jpg  

mtbr member
    They don't call Lucas the "Prince of Darkness" for nothing.
    My son mechanics in an import auto specialty shop. He tells me the reason they drink warm beer in England is because Lucas did the wiring for all the beer coolers.
    I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things

Cow Clicker
    Holy shiz I can't believe I unsubcribed from this thread.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

Hella Olde

Yee

Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    And can't afford bikes (it's empty)

Man, the cost of bikes is too damn high - even for rich people apparently

RIGHT ON! THIS GUY ^^^^^
    2 DAMN HIGH!

High Desert MTBer
    As an alleged 'hippie/lefty/commie/liberal' I guess I should subscribe to the view that nobody should have a car like this, but seriously WTF?!? What the hell is wrong with a) Someone HAVING a car like this; b) Someone putting a bike rack on it so they can take a bike somewhere...? I cannot believe the pantie twisting going on about all of it! BFD...

By the way, I found this on the subject of Fagerlin, and found it amusing... (apologies if it is something that has been posted/read before, wouldn't be the first time this happened):

We open on a cozy dining room in a well-appointed house in northern California. The Fagerlin family sits down to an abundant dinner of roast chicken, steamed brown rice, mixed veggies and a baguette of designer bread. A bottle of fine Napa wine finishes off the bounty.

Mrs. Fagerlin (to Pete): "Honey, would you like a leg or a breast?"

Pete: "are we talking about the chicken?"

(insert laughter)

Mrs. Fagerlin: "Honey! Not in front of Petey Jr.!"

the Fagerlins all dine on their dinner and beverages...

Mrs. Fagerlin: "So how was work today honey?"

Pete: "Well, it was going ok until Adam's dog died"

Petey Jr.: "I like doggies!"

Mrs. Fagerlin: "Oh I'm so sorry, have I met Adam?"

Pete: "No, you haven't. He, um, posts on MTBR"

Mrs. Fagerlin: "what's MTBR?"

Pete: "It's a message board on the internet for cyclists, but this nimrod thought he could use it as a substitute for real friends and family, it had NOTHING to do with bikes. Nothing."

Mrs. Fagerlin: "oh, but you know him from riding?"

Pete: "Um, no, we've never met"

Petey Jr.: "Why did the doggie have to die, daddy?"

Pete: "That's not important kid. What is important is that these lame, sniveling newbies don't understand what true cycling passion is all about."

Mrs. Fagerlin: "Please pass the chic....."

Pete: "HANG ON LADY! So then 'Singletrack' makes some comment about cars and man I put him right in his place by telling him that it's WHO posts that matters. If it's the owner of the site, then it's cool, so then I call him a 'D!ck'.

Mrs. Fagerlin: "Honey, your langua....."

Pete: "Quiet!" So then 'ronny' snipes at me and BAM! I call him an a$$hole and move on to the next loser. Who wants some? I guess it's Soupboy, who I reduce to tears by calling him 'Soupchild'. BOOYA! Now I'm hitting my stride - it's beautiful! I'm untouchable! I dispatch SDtrailblazer with a swift "LOL" and "Boo Hoo", LocoMan chimes in and I take him out with a "ROTFLMAO", and then..."

Petey Jr.: "Daddy what's "ROTFL..."

Pete: "eat your chicken, junior"

we cut to Mrs. Fagerlin who is obviously uncomfortable and is thinking about how to get out of the situation that's developing at the table.

Pete: "Well looky here, if it isn't Donkey, asking to step into the House of Pain...."

Mrs. Fagerlin: "Petey, come with mommy for a minute to the bathroom, you need to blow your nose"

Petey Jr. "ok mommy"

Pete continues to boast of his debate victories as Mrs. Fagerlin and Petey Jr. now make a mad dash for the garage. Pete hears the engine of his Porsche rev up and races to see what's going on.

Petey Jr.: "Where are we going mommy? Where's daddy?"

Mrs. Fagerlin: "Daddy isn't feeling too well right now so we're going to spend some time with grandma"

Just then Pete bursts into the garage, nostrils flared and eyes bulging.

Mrs. Fagerlin: "Jesus! Petey lock your door!"

Petey Jr. (crying): "what's wrong with daddy, why does he look like that?"

Mrs. Fagerlin: "sometimes grown-ups lose track of their priorities honey, daddy needs help."

Mrs. Fagerlin races the Porsche down the street and out of the nice, otherwise quiet neighborhood. We cut to Pete standing in the driveway, shouting "BUT THEY'RE ALL INFERIOR A$$HOLES!!!!!! AND THEY CAN'T SPELL......"

and we disolve to black.

stay tuned for scenes from next week's episode where Pete breaks into the office at the mental ward to log on to MTBR....

It's all Here. Now.

High Desert MTBer
    Oh, and while on the subject of vehicle electrics, and Lucas in particular, yes they were awful, but probably not a lot more awful than the alternatives at the time... Having owned both old Brit bikes from the 60s, and Italian bikes from the 70s, I have to say I have junked probably more Italian electrical components over the years...
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Car people think my car sucks
    Bike people think my bike sucks
    I am a garbage person

Cow Clicker
    Quote Originally Posted by mdlfcrsis View Post
    Car people think my car sucks
    Bike people think my bike sucks
    I am a garbage person
    Your garbage sucks

Those Car people suck
    Those Bike people suck
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 11 bravo View Post
    my son mechanics in an import auto specialty shop. He tells me the reason they drink warm beer in england is because lucas did the wiring for all the beer coolers.:d
    lol

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    [QUOTE=wmac;10056022]Your garbage sucks

Truly a haunting commentary on the existential crisis facing a culture in decline.

"pro illis, de sugere, nos Salutant vos"

the half breed devil
    a bentley without a bike rack just for sh!ts and giggles...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rich people passion-img_20130120_131202.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    a bentley without a bike rack just for sh!ts and giggles...
    Beautiful, much better looking than their new models to me.

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast