mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Resources for finding new trails...

Aside from the trail reviews listed on mtbr, anyone have any reccomendations for resources/literature on trails. Particularly in the Wyoming, Utah, and Idaho bordering areas. I may be relocating to Rock Springs, WY in the near future, but havent been able to locate much trail info. I have used the Falcon Guide books for trails in other regions, but the only ones available for this region are over a decade old. Just looking for something more up to date.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I use singletracks a lot. Pretty good website, but there is a fee to get to some of the info.
    whatever...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yes, for simply browsing, I'd check out Singletracks, but sometimes it's worth it to ask around on the forums, or seek out local trade groups in the areas you're interested in.

I build my own.
    One of my favorite resources for finding new trails.
    You just dig down a bit and there it is!
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

mtbr member
    For Utah check out utahmountainbiking.com

Also skidmap.com is good resource that is expanding trail mapping in the region.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Local forums, local shops, local riders.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Exploring local areas.
    Rock Springs, WY... alotta drugs go through there. Just sayin'.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    The Falcon guide for Wyoming is pretty much worthless. Don't waste your money. I'll give you my copy if you want it.

There is a lot of good riding in the Rock Springs and Green River area. There is an active club there and a nice bike park in Green River. Home

I know those guys have a presence on Facebook too. I don't remember the page, but if you search you will find them.

That part of the state really isn't very appealing just driving through on the interstate, but it is a real nice area once you get to doing some exploring. Not a bad place to base out of either. You are close to a lot of good riding in addition to what is local.

I don't have any contact info handy, but do a Google search for mountain biking Rock Springs WY and you will find quite a bit of stuff.

Also, contact the Bike and Trike. They should be able to get you some good information. There is a link at the bottom of the main page that will take you to a local forums board.

The Bike and Trike Rock Springs, WY Trek Redline Yeti Haro MirraCo Gary Fisher Premium

When I get a few minutes I will look through some of my bookmarks and see if I can find you some more stuff.

What brings you to the area if you don't mind me asking?
    Last edited by 11 Bravo; 11-26-2012 at 07:56 PM.
    I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish View Post
    Exploring local areas.
    They have had some big drug busts on the interstate there. I don't get down that way a whole lot, but I don't know of any significant drug problem in the town. No more than anywhere else anyway.

We had a fairly big drug bust here on the interstate a couple of years ago. 2 knuckle heads from California driving a Ford pick-up with expired plates doing nearly 100 MPH got pulled over. The bed of the truck was full of garbage bags full of pot.

I think they charged them with being terminally stupid.
    I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I was speaking of I-80 as well. I know someone who went to high school there. Funny stories but nothing worse than anywhere else, as you said.
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Exploring local areas.
    What's your point? Growing, transporting, selling happens all over the place.

My point is: Hook up with other local riders and compare trail beta. Do same with local shops. Use some mad google-fu.

A few years ago, we moved to a completely new area. I found three completely different local forums/trail sites - both with way more trail beta than mtbr. Have managed to meet and ride with a ton of new people. Some local facebook groups as well.

Be willing to go and explore solo. I've ridden a ton of places around me in the last few years. Run into other local riders all the time who have never even heard of, let alone been to, some of the places I've been checking out.

Some of the best riding around me, I'd never have found otherwise.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    My point is that there are alot of drugs going across the country on I-80, through Rock Springs. Or were you confused on the explore local areas part?
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

The White Jeff W
    Google maps. All of the state & alot of county parks are green. Zoom in & get the name then Google that. If there be trails there's usually a map on the site.

I live near Pittsburgh and using the above formula led me to this...

Parks Department Maps

Trail Maps:
    Blazed, unblazed & paved

Boyce Park
    Deer Lakes Park
    Harrison Hills Park
    Hartwood Acres Park
    - Basic Trail Map
    - Detailed Trail Map (two pages)
    North Park
    - Paved
    - Trails, Central Section
    - Trails, Northern Section (not blazed)
    - Trails, Southern Section
    Round Hill Park
    Settlers Cabin Park
    - Finding the Trails
    South Park
    White Oak Park (not blazed)

Doing the same with a State Park got me here in just a few mouse clicks

PA*DCNR*-*Find a Map
    No moss...

mtbr member
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is youíll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Go to the bike shop and ask. They will tell you. While your at it ask for Mountain Bike clubs and then ask them too. Believe it or not the internet doesn't know everything.

beer thief
    My point is that there are alot of drugs going across the country on I-80, through Rock Springs. Or were you confused on the explore local areas part?
    I think the confusion is yours. Wtf does freight going by on the highway have to do with finding MTB trails?

Google Earth is a pretty amazing tool.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    What confusion? Dude said he maybe relocating to Rock Springs. The second thing that pops into my mind (after explore local areas) is the last three stories I've heard about the place were about big drug busts. Hence the comment, "just sayin'." I guess the flow of thoughts to a conscious mind IS difficult to understand, eh?
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

beater
    There's no substitute for this. My town has a silly amount of riding around it, but you'd never guess based on the Internet. Some towns still just aren't very visible online, whether you're looking for housing rentals, businesses or trails. Nobody here bothers putting trails or rides on Singletracks - what I've seen of our local network is really limited and outdated. Once you're on the ground, though, you shouldn't have too much trouble figuring out where the locals ride.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    There's no substitute for this. My town has a silly amount of riding around it, but you'd never guess based on the Internet. Some towns still just aren't very visible online, whether you're looking for housing rentals, businesses or trails. Nobody here bothers putting trails or rides on Singletracks - what I've seen of our local network is really limited and outdated. Once you're on the ground, though, you shouldn't have too much trouble figuring out where the locals ride.

Yep. I found most of my local stuff on the web, but finding some of the hidden stuff requires tires on the ground, and hooking up with other riders sometimes. Depends on the local web presence - the local sites here have a lot of good beta, but most of the actual ride organizing has now shifted over to FB groups.

I've found some gems, and also a few places that are just "meh" riding. You never know until you check it out.

Right. I got that. What does that have to do with exploring for mtb trails?

Have lived and ridden plenty of places with all sorts of drug and other shady activity going on. Has never caused me any trouble, or prevented me from going to look for trails. I grew up in an area that grew and transported a lot of pot along I-5. Hell, our house was right next to the highway, and a ton of woods. Never caused a lick of trouble running round the woods for many, many years.

Bad stuff happens everywhere - are we just supposed to cower under the bed and not go outside?

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    You will find yourself coming up here to ride a bunch, I predict.
    Just give a shout, and get active on the ID/Mt/Wy forum.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    bikerag.com, crankfire.com are great but have a northeast focus. YMMV

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Right. I got that. What does that have to do with exploring for mtb trails?
    Seriously dude, do you need this level of explanation for every post thatís slightly off topic? As I've said before, the flow of thoughts to a conscious mind IS difficult to understand, eh? Sorry I don't play the internets to your standards.

OP- I apologize for my part in this train wreck. Good luck finding the trails you seek.
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by luthermc315 View Post
    Aside from the trail reviews listed on mtbr, anyone have any reccomendations for resources/literature on trails. Particularly in the Wyoming, Utah, and Idaho bordering areas. I may be relocating to Rock Springs, WY in the near future, but havent been able to locate much trail info. I have used the Falcon Guide books for trails in other regions, but the only ones available for this region are over a decade old. Just looking for something more up to date.
    Best way to find trails, get a book or a map with trails on it LBS is a good option...

Then go ride them and talk to people....

I am still "discovering" new trails, and sharing new trails.....

I has been a long time since a new trail came out of a book for me, and no I have not ridden all the trails in the book yet.

Seriously dude, do you need this level of explanation for every post thatís slightly off topic? As I've said before, the flow of thoughts to a conscious mind IS difficult to understand, eh? Sorry I don't play the internets to your standards.

OP- I apologize for my part in this train wreck. Good luck finding the trails you seek.

Nope. My question still stands. Drugs transported nearby. Whoopty ****.

Yep, gosh darn, Rock Springs, WY must be the only place THAT ever happens!

At least I tried to give some assist to the OP, instead of a "Don't go in the woods there! Scary!" warning.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...