mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Ready for full suspension, advice on women's bike

I'm ready to take my biking to the next level, been biking on entry level specialized Hardrock for a year now.Love the biking, but not so much my bike anymore. Gets me up and down the mountain, but ready for more sophistication and a smoother ride. 20mile ride today on rutted trail crystallized the need for some new wheels.

Looking for some recommendations for a women's full suspension, $1500-$1800.

got suggestions, love to hear them

mtbr member
    Look into the womens Giant Trance. Maestro suspension is great!...For that price range I think you'd get the most bike for your buck buying used, there are great deals out there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    +1. Getting a used rig will enable you to get a much better bike. Ultimately, it may save you money by averting another upgrade.

If you're a small size you may have an advantage in availability of used gear. I was close to popping for a new bike to accommodate the wife's advancing skills, but we re-directed to upgrading her frame and a couple of parts. We spent $500 shipped on the frame and now she has a perfect trail bike. I did the same with her previous bike; got a used one that had been advertised awhile and saved a bundle.

FWIW, she loves Turner bikes' plushness and handling. Both her full-sus bikes are Turners. She loved the Flux but wanted more suspension, so we bumped her to a 5-Spot. Perfect move.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Ready for full suspension, advice on women's bike

Plus one on the women's Giant Trance. My friends wife has one and she loves it. Really great bike for the money. She was amazed how much her riding improved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Magically Delicious
    There are several variables at play here.

• What type of riding do you prefer to enjoy?
    • What is your size?
    • What is your experience level?
    • Have you demo’d any styles and have a preference of one over another?

My wife has been riding for about 3 years and I would consider her an intermediate. She’s small (5’5” 110 lbs.) and tried several 29er’s and enjoyed the ‘roll feel’, but felt as if she was driving a truck. She came off of a hardtail 26er and wanted to somewhat maintain the agility that the 26 offered, but wanted the tracking and rolling ability of a 29er with full suspension. So you can see where this going. She loved the 27.5’s. Sort of the best of both worlds. She ended up with Yeti’s new SB-75 (small frame) and has been thrilled with it.

For her, if offers all of the attributes that she was seeking and perhaps more. While she’s really more of a XC rider and the SB-75 is a little more all mountain/enduro; it was still what felt good for her.

If you have the opportunity to go out and test ride or demo bikes at your LBS, that would be a good start. Don’t be shy to define your styles and comfort levels. If you feel that you’re advancing in your skills, consider a bike that has upgrade capability.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

My wife got this carbon Blur XC with full XTR drivetrain and brakes and DT Tricon wheelset used on the mtbr classifieds last September for $1800 including shipping. She picked it out after we spent a LONG time going through different fit guides, but I talked with the seller to make sure the bike was going to be in rideable condition. It had some heavy use issues that we're having to put money into repairs, but they're relatively minor so far compared to the price we got.

She loves this bike.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    My wife's next bike will be a Santa Cruz. Probably Juliana or similar because she needs an XS bike. I got no problem buying used.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
    My wife's next bike will be a Santa Cruz. Probably Juliana or similar because she needs an XS bike. I got no problem buying used.
    It's all about the numbers. My wife's XS Flux has very similar dimensions to her later-model 5-Spot. She is 5'2" and we found no lack of brand options that fit her.

You'll score something great when you're ready. I've had very good results with the Pinkbike classifieds for small-size frames. Cheers...

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Thanks for the advice...I've taken the Specialized Rumor Expert out for a spin (only model the local bike shop had, but a little pricey and high tech for my needs), I'm more interested in the Rumor Comp for price point. I have also been eyeing the Santa Cruz Juliana, but it is harder to come by for a test run.

Are there any opinions on the Santa Cruz Juliana Joplin Segundo or Terico VERSUS the Specialized Rumor Comp?