Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Rattlesnakes!!!!!!

Been seeing too many rattlesnakes at my local trail. Worries me if I'm their next victim : (
    ________
    12' BMC Fourstroke FS02 XT
    11' Epic S-Works XX
    13' Epic S-Works XX1
    14' Epic S-Works WC XX1

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    They're not rattlesnakes.. they're tonight's dinner, tomorrow's belt, and the day after's "souvenir" necklace.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I saw two rattlers on the same ride last week. Now, every f'n twig looks like a snake to me. I just try not to ride mid-day when they like to bake in the sun. I figure its best to just run them over if you can't stop safely. It's better than trying to stop abruptly and risking falling on top of it.

High Desert MTBer
    The poor maligned rattlesnake again! They are just out there to help us out... leave 'em be fercrissakes!
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Dude f*** rattlesnakes. I'm on "Team People!"

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy1983 View Post
    I saw two rattlers on the same ride last week. Now, every f'n twig looks like a snake to me. I just try not to ride mid-day when they like to bake in the sun. I figure its best to just run them over if you can't stop safely. It's better than trying to stop abruptly and risking falling on top of it.
    You're not going to hurt them riding your bike over them. I ran over this one with a two ton car. All it did was pi$$ it off. It continued to harass me over the course of the summer, rattling at me under the car as I left for work, or slithering up to me from behind while BBQing. Finally, my kid popped it in the front yard. It was just too aggressive, and this area is known to have Mojave Green/Southern Pacific hybrids. That's a five iron for scale. It had nine beads on it's rattle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rattlesnakes!!!!!!-img00175-20120712-1804-1-.jpg  

Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Ya, snakes eat rodents and other small animals which is good but I still say the best snake is a dead snake.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Rattlesnakes!!!!!!

Rattlesnakes aren't very poisonous and it's unlikely you'll die from a bite that's properly treated.

So leave the wildlife alone and don't be so scared of nature.

mtbr member
    Do you guys carry snake bite emergency kit?
    Rattlesnakes!!!!!!-securedownload.jpeg
    ________
    12' BMC Fourstroke FS02 XT
    11' Epic S-Works XX
    13' Epic S-Works XX1
    14' Epic S-Works WC XX1

I eat cats
    Quote Originally Posted by JAY55 View Post
    Do you guys carry snake bite emergency kit?
    No, but I should. I am not as afraid of getting bit while on my bike as I am while off. I do have this fear of falling into the brush and there being a rattlesnake den in there though.

This guy was saved by his kit... I have heard you need to get the right one though, not all are the same and/or work.

How a $10 Purchase Saved a Man?s Life After He Was Bitten by a Rattlesnake | Video | TheBlaze.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sprunghunt View Post
    Rattlesnakes aren't very poisonous and it's unlikely you'll die from a bite that's properly treated.

I agree leave them alone. Hoever as far as toxicity. It depends rattlesnake venom for the most part is hemotoxic, that is it alters the bloods ability to properly coagulate (clot).

I believe the Mojave has neurotoxic venom. That is it affects the nervous system. Think paralysis of the diaphragm. Think respirator. Think; bad bite.

Anyway, they can be a real problem but are not out looking for people to bite. Just trying to survive like the rest of us.

Curious just how bad a bite can be check out these pics. BTW: I am not advocating hunting. Just that some of the best pics are on a hunting website.

Rattlesnake Bites and the Snakes of Hunting Country

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Some humans look for a excuse to kill....rattlesnakes being one of them

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OCtrailMonkey View Post

This guy was saved by his kit... I have heard you need to get the right one though, not all are the same and/or work.

How a $10 Purchase Saved a Man?s Life After He Was Bitten by a Rattlesnake | Video | TheBlaze.com
    Just Googled this 2007 WSJ article on IN-effectiveness of Snake Bite Kits

Deadly Dilemma: Do Snake-Bite Kits Help? - WSJ.com
    IT'S CRACKERS TO SLIP A ROZZER THE DROPSY IN SNIDE

I'm SUCH a square....
    I read somewhere that a snake's strike is about half their body length; so if you can, stay a full body length from them, and you SHOULD be okay. A five-iron (example above) is less than four feet, so just think "4 foot minimum".
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

banned
    Jan 2013
    ^ coiled. Uncoiled you have to be ON them to get bit.

Pretty sure all rattle snake venom regardless of breed is a neurotoxin. The severity of a bite depends on three things. 1st... How much venom did the snake pump out? (big old rattlers are smart enough to not even waste venom on a defensive strike that wont result in a meal. The most dangerous rattler is a baby, it will pump out its entire venom supply every strike.) 2nd... The victim's allergic reaction to the venom. Rattle snake venom is in the same class as black widow, scorpion, and.... bee sting venom. If you are allergic to one of those, most likely the others will jack you pretty good as well. 3rd... How fast you get treatment. Guy i work with got bit on the hand at his house last year. He was not allergic and received treatment quickly. His hand was back to normal in under two weeks, cant tell he ever got bit.

mtbr member
    Y'all are a bunch of little girls- do you scramble up on a chair and scream "eek!" when you see a mouse? You're on a mountain bike, right? Ride around, bunny hop, or if you are a considerate sort shoo them off the trail so they don't get hurt. Good god!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sprunghunt View Post

Rattlesnakes are not poisonous at all... They are venomous.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Just got to take the nols wilderness first aid class. Their story is not to bother with a snake bite kit.

I happen to have a totally irrational fear of snakes. I acknowledge that its irrational but its a fear all the same. That said I am heading out shortly to ride an area with rattlers because it beats not riding.

Realistically I figure if I am going to be hurt riding snake bites are low on the likelihood scale

I like bikes
    Just ride with a buddy so they can suck out the venom. Safety in Numbers. LOL

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRingGrinder View Post
    ^ coiled. Uncoiled you have to be ON them to get bit.

Pretty sure all rattle snake venom regardless of breed is a neurotoxin. The severity of a bite depends on three things. 1st... How much venom did the snake pump out? (big old rattlers are smart enough to not even waste venom on a defensive strike that wont result in a meal. The most dangerous rattler is a baby, it will pump out its entire venom supply every strike.) 2nd... The victim's allergic reaction to the venom. Rattle snake venom is in the same class as black widow, scorpion, and.... bee sting venom. If you are allergic to one of those, most likely the others will jack you pretty good as well. 3rd... How fast you get treatment. Guy i work with got bit on the hand at his house last year. He was not allergic and received treatment quickly. His hand was back to normal in under two weeks, cant tell he ever got bit.
    Not to start a war but MOST rattler venom is hemotoxic ! RE: young rattler bite. Not true. In fact there is an entity called a dry bite.

The snake can control contraction of the venom gland. They do not waste venom if they don't have to. I'm not suggesting they are "intelligent" but they are not dumb venom killing machines either.

I used to breed West African Gaboon Vipers so I'm fairly well versed on snakes.

Neurotoxic think kraits, cobra,coral snakes.

Hemotoxic think rattlers, water moccasins.

ic.

mtbr member
    I see em all the time on gravel roads and occasionally on some of our rockier trails. No biggie.
    Registered pedalphile.

banned
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by drjay9051 View Post
    Not to start a war but MOST rattler venom is hemotoxic ! RE: young rattler bite. Not true. In fact there is an entity called a dry bite.

The snake can control contraction of the venom gland. They do not waste venom if they don't have to. I'm not suggesting they are "intelligent" but they are not dumb venom killing machines either.

I used to breed West African Gaboon Vipers so I'm fairly well versed on snakes.

Neurotoxic think kraits, cobra,coral snakes.

Hemotoxic think rattlers, water moccasins.

ic.
    Hardly a war when you are correct. =) I have a hell of a memory for random facts, that memory dosent help much when what you heard was incorrect does it? I stand corrected... hemotoxic they are, with the mojave containing neurotoxin.

Source I looked up said 20% of bites are "dry", but didn't state age of snake had anything to do with it. Still stand by the baby rattler being less likely to dry strike, I have heard that one many times.

mtbr member
    This is exactly why I murder all snakes AND do my best to eliminate their food supply. Sure my family will never be out on the trail, but I feel good knowing a rattlesnake 20+ miles from my home will never have the opportunity to attack my child or ruin my ride.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JAY55 View Post
    Been seeing too many rattlesnakes at my local trail. Worries me if I'm their next victim : (
    What is your local trail?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRingGrinder View Post
    Hardly a war when you are correct. =) I have a hell of a memory for random facts, that memory dosent help much when what you heard was incorrect does it? I stand corrected... hemotoxic they are, with the mojave containing neurotoxin.

Source I looked up said 20% of bites are "dry", but didn't state age of snake had anything to do with it. Still stand by the baby rattler being less likely to dry strike, I have heard that one many times.
    All good.

So here is a very serious snake. I used to have a few in my younger (and dumber) days.

I was legal and licensed by Florida but I'm thinking safer to ride than breed snakes.

Venom extraction from large gaboon vipers (Bitis gabonica rhinoceros) - YouTube

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast