Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Rattlesnakes!!!!!!

Been seeing too many rattlesnakes at my local trail. Worries me if I'm their next victim : (
    ________
    12' BMC Fourstroke FS02 XT
    11' Epic S-Works XX
    13' Epic S-Works XX1
    14' Epic S-Works WC XX1

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    They're not rattlesnakes.. they're tonight's dinner, tomorrow's belt, and the day after's "souvenir" necklace.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I saw two rattlers on the same ride last week. Now, every f'n twig looks like a snake to me. I just try not to ride mid-day when they like to bake in the sun. I figure its best to just run them over if you can't stop safely. It's better than trying to stop abruptly and risking falling on top of it.

High Desert MTBer
    The poor maligned rattlesnake again! They are just out there to help us out... leave 'em be fercrissakes!
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Dude f*** rattlesnakes. I'm on "Team People!"

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy1983 View Post
    I saw two rattlers on the same ride last week. Now, every f'n twig looks like a snake to me. I just try not to ride mid-day when they like to bake in the sun. I figure its best to just run them over if you can't stop safely. It's better than trying to stop abruptly and risking falling on top of it.
    You're not going to hurt them riding your bike over them. I ran over this one with a two ton car. All it did was pi$$ it off. It continued to harass me over the course of the summer, rattling at me under the car as I left for work, or slithering up to me from behind while BBQing. Finally, my kid popped it in the front yard. It was just too aggressive, and this area is known to have Mojave Green/Southern Pacific hybrids. That's a five iron for scale. It had nine beads on it's rattle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rattlesnakes!!!!!!-img00175-20120712-1804-1-.jpg  

Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Ya, snakes eat rodents and other small animals which is good but I still say the best snake is a dead snake.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Rattlesnakes!!!!!!

Rattlesnakes aren't very poisonous and it's unlikely you'll die from a bite that's properly treated.

So leave the wildlife alone and don't be so scared of nature.

mtbr member
    Do you guys carry snake bite emergency kit?
    Rattlesnakes!!!!!!-securedownload.jpeg
    ________
    11' Epic S-Works XX
    13' Epic S-Works XX1
    14' Epic S-Works WC XX1

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JAY55 View Post
    Do you guys carry snake bite emergency kit?
    No, but I should. I am not as afraid of getting bit while on my bike as I am while off. I do have this fear of falling into the brush and there being a rattlesnake den in there though.

This guy was saved by his kit... I have heard you need to get the right one though, not all are the same and/or work.

How a $10 Purchase Saved a Man?s Life After He Was Bitten by a Rattlesnake | Video | TheBlaze.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sprunghunt View Post
    Rattlesnakes aren't very poisonous and it's unlikely you'll die from a bite that's properly treated.

I agree leave them alone. Hoever as far as toxicity. It depends rattlesnake venom for the most part is hemotoxic, that is it alters the bloods ability to properly coagulate (clot).

I believe the Mojave has neurotoxic venom. That is it affects the nervous system. Think paralysis of the diaphragm. Think respirator. Think; bad bite.

Anyway, they can be a real problem but are not out looking for people to bite. Just trying to survive like the rest of us.

Curious just how bad a bite can be check out these pics. BTW: I am not advocating hunting. Just that some of the best pics are on a hunting website.

Rattlesnake Bites and the Snakes of Hunting Country

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Some humans look for a excuse to kill....rattlesnakes being one of them

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OCtrailMonkey View Post

This guy was saved by his kit... I have heard you need to get the right one though, not all are the same and/or work.

How a $10 Purchase Saved a Man?s Life After He Was Bitten by a Rattlesnake | Video | TheBlaze.com
    Just Googled this 2007 WSJ article on IN-effectiveness of Snake Bite Kits

Deadly Dilemma: Do Snake-Bite Kits Help? - WSJ.com
    IT'S CRACKERS TO SLIP A ROZZER THE DROPSY IN SNIDE

I'm SUCH a square....
    I read somewhere that a snake's strike is about half their body length; so if you can, stay a full body length from them, and you SHOULD be okay. A five-iron (example above) is less than four feet, so just think "4 foot minimum".
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

banned
    Jan 2013
    ^ coiled. Uncoiled you have to be ON them to get bit.

Pretty sure all rattle snake venom regardless of breed is a neurotoxin. The severity of a bite depends on three things. 1st... How much venom did the snake pump out? (big old rattlers are smart enough to not even waste venom on a defensive strike that wont result in a meal. The most dangerous rattler is a baby, it will pump out its entire venom supply every strike.) 2nd... The victim's allergic reaction to the venom. Rattle snake venom is in the same class as black widow, scorpion, and.... bee sting venom. If you are allergic to one of those, most likely the others will jack you pretty good as well. 3rd... How fast you get treatment. Guy i work with got bit on the hand at his house last year. He was not allergic and received treatment quickly. His hand was back to normal in under two weeks, cant tell he ever got bit.

mtbr member
    Y'all are a bunch of little girls- do you scramble up on a chair and scream "eek!" when you see a mouse? You're on a mountain bike, right? Ride around, bunny hop, or if you are a considerate sort shoo them off the trail so they don't get hurt. Good god!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sprunghunt View Post

Rattlesnakes are not poisonous at all... They are venomous.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Just got to take the nols wilderness first aid class. Their story is not to bother with a snake bite kit.

I happen to have a totally irrational fear of snakes. I acknowledge that its irrational but its a fear all the same. That said I am heading out shortly to ride an area with rattlers because it beats not riding.

Realistically I figure if I am going to be hurt riding snake bites are low on the likelihood scale

I like bikes
    Just ride with a buddy so they can suck out the venom. Safety in Numbers. LOL

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRingGrinder View Post

Pretty sure all rattle snake venom regardless of breed is a neurotoxin. The severity of a bite depends on three things. 1st... How much venom did the snake pump out? (big old rattlers are smart enough to not even waste venom on a defensive strike that wont result in a meal. The most dangerous rattler is a baby, it will pump out its entire venom supply every strike.) 2nd... The victim's allergic reaction to the venom. Rattle snake venom is in the same class as black widow, scorpion, and.... bee sting venom. If you are allergic to one of those, most likely the others will jack you pretty good as well. 3rd... How fast you get treatment. Guy i work with got bit on the hand at his house last year. He was not allergic and received treatment quickly. His hand was back to normal in under two weeks, cant tell he ever got bit.
    Not to start a war but MOST rattler venom is hemotoxic ! RE: young rattler bite. Not true. In fact there is an entity called a dry bite.

The snake can control contraction of the venom gland. They do not waste venom if they don't have to. I'm not suggesting they are "intelligent" but they are not dumb venom killing machines either.

I used to breed West African Gaboon Vipers so I'm fairly well versed on snakes.

Neurotoxic think kraits, cobra,coral snakes.

Hemotoxic think rattlers, water moccasins.

ic.

mtbr member
    I see em all the time on gravel roads and occasionally on some of our rockier trails. No biggie.
    Calmer'n you are.

banned
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by drjay9051 View Post
    Not to start a war but MOST rattler venom is hemotoxic ! RE: young rattler bite. Not true. In fact there is an entity called a dry bite.

The snake can control contraction of the venom gland. They do not waste venom if they don't have to. I'm not suggesting they are "intelligent" but they are not dumb venom killing machines either.

I used to breed West African Gaboon Vipers so I'm fairly well versed on snakes.

Neurotoxic think kraits, cobra,coral snakes.

Hemotoxic think rattlers, water moccasins.

ic.
    Hardly a war when you are correct. =) I have a hell of a memory for random facts, that memory dosent help much when what you heard was incorrect does it? I stand corrected... hemotoxic they are, with the mojave containing neurotoxin.

Source I looked up said 20% of bites are "dry", but didn't state age of snake had anything to do with it. Still stand by the baby rattler being less likely to dry strike, I have heard that one many times.

mtbr member
    This is exactly why I murder all snakes AND do my best to eliminate their food supply. Sure my family will never be out on the trail, but I feel good knowing a rattlesnake 20+ miles from my home will never have the opportunity to attack my child or ruin my ride.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JAY55 View Post
    Been seeing too many rattlesnakes at my local trail. Worries me if I'm their next victim : (
    What is your local trail?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Hardly a war when you are correct. =) I have a hell of a memory for random facts, that memory dosent help much when what you heard was incorrect does it? I stand corrected... hemotoxic they are, with the mojave containing neurotoxin.

Source I looked up said 20% of bites are "dry", but didn't state age of snake had anything to do with it. Still stand by the baby rattler being less likely to dry strike, I have heard that one many times.
    All good.

So here is a very serious snake. I used to have a few in my younger (and dumber) days.

I was legal and licensed by Florida but I'm thinking safer to ride than breed snakes.

Venom extraction from large gaboon vipers (Bitis gabonica rhinoceros) - YouTube

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Did I hear correctly once that most snake bites are alcohol related? Don't drink and ride!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimPacNW View Post
    Did I hear correctly once that most snake bites are alcohol related?

Yep, snakes are notoriously mean drunks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
    This is exactly why I murder all snakes AND do my best to eliminate their food supply. Sure my family will never be out on the trail, but I feel good knowing a rattlesnake 20+ miles from my home will never have the opportunity to attack my child or ruin my ride.
    Bad Karma. Bad attitude.

Just my opinion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zgroove View Post
    What is your local trail?
    San Diego, 94 east (campo rd) sweetwater historic bridge.
    ________
    11' Epic S-Works XX
    13' Epic S-Works XX1
    14' Epic S-Works WC XX1

Ninja Master Powers

Pretty sure all rattle snake venom regardless of breed is a neurotoxin.
    This isn't completely accurate there are rattle snakes with both Neuro and hemotoxic venom, and, if I'm not mistaken most rattle snakes have hemotoxic venom.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Perfect example of an unreasonable and hysterical human reaction and, sadly, one of the all-to-common reasons why many animal species are endangered: emotional, irrational, illogical fear. Using your "logic," you'd best be sure to have all vehicles destroyed and all dogs within 20 miles of your home killed as they are responsible for far more human injury and death than snakes are. Better figure out how to stop lightning within 20 miles of your house as well as you are NINE times more likely to get hit by it than die from a snake bite.

Over the last decade, deaths from automobiles total approximately 34,000/yr, deaths from dog attacks total approximately 31/yr, deaths from lightning total approximately 55/year, snakes total about 6/yr... But go ahead, keep on killing an animal that is an important and valuable part of the ecosystems in which it lives, that wants ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with you or any other human, and only strikes when it is defending itself.
    Last edited by huntermos; 05-22-2013 at 01:58 PM. Reason: fact check!

Pale Rider
    If you look at Wikipedia it claims 12 deaths per year in the US from snakebites. Whatever, it's low odds. They have a very incomplete list of the deaths, but most deaths listed appear to be from snake handling churches or people in their own yard.

I don't kill them in the wild, but I am wary. Copperheads too, around here.

mtbr member

Re: Rattlesnakes!!!!!!

Just last Friday evening I was on my local trail for a quick ride and came hauling ass around a corner. As came around a corner I saw a rattler stretched out across the trail. I tried to turn sharper to the inside to dodge him but also made to stupid reaction of grabbing the brakes = washout and crash right on top of him. Doh! I scrambled off one direction and he scrambled off the other. I think he was just as surprised as me. He didn't start the rattle until he was safely in the bush. No strike. All is good except I find myself giving every single stick in the trail a double take. :-/

Also came across these two bull snakes yesterday on my commute home. Bow Chika whaw whaw!
    Rattlesnakes!!!!!!-uploadfromtaptalk1369251478235.jpg

Rattlesnakes!!!!!!-uploadfromtaptalk1369251524746.jpg

Rattlesnakes!!!!!!-uploadfromtaptalk1369251587910.jpg

Specialized Epic 29
    Intense Tracer 29

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
    If you look at Wikipedia it claims 12 deaths per year in the US from snakebites. Whatever, it's low odds. They have a very incomplete list of the deaths, but most deaths listed appear to be from snake handling churches or people in their own yard.

I don't kill them in the wild, but I am wary. Copperheads too, around here.
    CDC states 5 deaths per year, this site: Venomous Snake FAQs says 6, but some of their other stats are off. Either way, the risk of a snake bite -and death from one- is minuscule compared to just about any other risk out there (so long as you don't worship in a Baptist snake church I guess), as are deaths from any wild animal, yet there's this illogical fear that drives people to kill any and all animals that they perceive as a threat. People are far more dangerous to each other than any animal is...

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by maynsx View Post
    It's better than trying to stop abruptly and risking falling on top of it.
    Quit repeating what others say.. Troll fail.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Yep, snakes are notoriously mean drunks.
    And if they bite you after they have been drinking you will get quite a buzz.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    You're not going to hurt them riding your bike over them. I ran over this one with a two ton car. All it did was pi$$ it off. It continued to harass me over the course of the summer, rattling at me under the car as I left for work, or slithering up to me from behind while BBQing. Finally, my kid popped it in the front yard. It was just too aggressive, and this area is known to have Mojave Green/Southern Pacific hybrids. That's a five iron for scale. It had nine beads on it's rattle.
    What flex shaft?

aka: Bucky Fikes
    If I'm off the beaten path where others are very unlikely to stumble across or on a rattlesnake, it will always get a free pass. If it's somewhere where there's a good chance an unsuspecting individual, pet (dog/cat), or horse may encounter the serpent, I'll possibly off it. The bike trail is case by case basis. Usually, they're just moving on through and gone before the next rider comes along. That's cool.

I don't give a Rat's Ass if I won't die from a Rattler bite, the damage, treatment, and recovery can absolutely brutal and hugely expensive. My hunting dog is vaccinated for Crotalus spp as well as having gone through Snake Aversion Training where he was exposed on the trail to numerous MASSIVE rattlers of varying species. They use a small hood over the snake so it can't bite but it will strike. My Lab will now scent the snake and give it wide berth and keep on moving. His reaction is also instrumental in showing me that something's wrong so it's likely I can avoid the danger, as well.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

Re: Rattlesnakes!!!!!!

Wait, what? You would 'off' a rattlesnake? They're a pretty awesome group of snakes. Wouldn't it be easier and more effective to relocate it if you're going to get involved with rattlesnakes like that? I'd rather snatch one then kill it.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Wow, do you feel the same way about bears, cougars, or other stuff doing what they do.

aka: Bucky Fikes
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    Wait, what? You would 'off' a rattlesnake? They're a pretty awesome group of snakes. Wouldn't it be easier and more effective to relocate it if you're going to get involved with rattlesnakes like that? I'd rather snatch one then kill it.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    In the situation that I described above, emphatically YES!

Relocate?

I'm not a trained Herpetologist and I'm not about to get that intimate with something that can jack me up if I make the wrong move.

But don't worry, I'm not a snake killing machine. I have no issue with non-venomous species and I don't seek out and hunt Rattlers. I've just seen too many good Dogs and Horses get nailed with tragic results where the Rattlesnake / Human / Pet interface just doesn't work.

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi_GR_Biker View Post
    What flex shaft?
    Dunno. I hate golf, even though I'm a ringer. Well, I can drive and putt but always have to ask my friends which club to use, and I lose interest after the fifth hole.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    I can't imagine why you couldn't spend the time avoiding it instead. You can let people know about it if you need to. I've seen a number of rattlesnakes this week in populated areas but they typically go away. They aren't always particularly timid snakes, but I've managed to trap them with my bike a number of times. You don't have to buy a snake hook to get them to scram. Their venom is worth some money, I'm considering collecting sometime.

edit: FWIW-collection of two rattlesnakes is legal in CA

mtbr member
    Every time I see one its a special treat for me, I don't understand the irrational fear. They're not the bogey man and as stated before don't want anything to with humans unless cornered and forced to defend themselves. I have never had an issue with any of the rattlers I have come across, I show them the respect they deserve as I am the visitor in there home. I will usually get them to move off the trail, mostly for there own safety, but there are usually hikers with dogs off there leashes too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rattlesnakes!!!!!!-dscn0355.jpg  

Rattlesnakes!!!!!!-dscn5858.jpg  

Rattlesnakes!!!!!!-dscn5711.jpg  

Rattlesnakes!!!!!!-dscn033.jpg  

Rattlesnakes!!!!!!-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Here in NZ we don't have any snakes whatsoever which is nice. In fact there are no dangerous animals at all. Our fair land is totally benign. The only thing that females need to worry about is the one eyed trouser snake. It must be strange going for a ride in the wilderness and having to worry about snakes, bears, mountain lions etc. It's bad enough just having to worry about punctures, repairs, spare parts, the weather and first aid. Rattlers would be something that would give me the shits. Those of you that talk about 'offing' the rattlesnakes how do you do it? With your gun laws I might add a sawnoff to the Camelbak.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Dunno. I hate golf, even though I'm a ringer. Well, I can drive and putt but always have to ask my friends which club to use, and I lose interest after the fifth hole.
    LOL - I used to think 9 holes was a marathon when I first started playing, now I hate playing nine cos you're only just getting going thru 9 holes.

Love the game but I'm glad I took up MTB biking this summer to see more of the outdoors and get the extra exercise. I have no use for a 3 iron anymore so I would take that riding as defence vs a rattler. IF I miss the rattler and smash it on a rock who cares? On the other hand I need my 5 iron.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drjay9051 View Post
    Bad Karma. Bad attitude.

Just my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by huntermos View Post
    Perfect example of an unreasonable and hysterical human reaction and, sadly, one of the all-to-common reasons why many animal species are endangered: emotional, irrational, illogical fear. Using your "logic," you'd best be sure to have all vehicles destroyed and all dogs within 20 miles of your home killed as they are responsible for far more human injury and death than snakes are. Better figure out how to stop lightning within 20 miles of your house as well as you are NINE times more likely to get hit by it than die from a snake bite.

Over the last decade, deaths from automobiles total approximately 34,000/yr, deaths from dog attacks total approximately 31/yr, deaths from lightning total approximately 55/year, snakes total about 6/yr... But go ahead, keep on killing an animal that is an important and valuable part of the ecosystems in which it lives, that wants ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with you or any other human, and only strikes when it is defending itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    Wow, do you feel the same way about bears, cougars, or other stuff doing what they do.
    All in response to....

Figured the exaggerations couldn't make it more obvious that I was mocking a prior thread and utilizing....

Simmer down.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Figured the exaggerations couldn't make it more obvious that I was mocking a prior thread and utilizing....

Simmer down.
    Well one, your statement is a common reaction among the easily frightened and increasingly paranoid American populace, and two, if you are going to try to write something sarcastic where the clues that you are being sarcastic -such as facial movements, voice inflection, and syllable emphasis- cannot be viewed, it's no surprise that so many of us took you seriously! Perhaps one of these would help?

Candlestick Maker
    They do freak me out, but on the trail, I leave them be when I see them.

rattlesnake1 by bbaker22, on Flickr

At my house...with two little kids playing in the yard and a dog that has been bitten twice (going into cardiac arrest once)...I kill them.

rattlesnake2 by bbaker22, on Flickr
    baker

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by baker View Post
    They do freak me out, but on the trail, I leave them be when I see them.

rattlesnake1 by bbaker22, on Flickr

At my house...with two little kids playing in the yard and a dog that has been bitten twice (going into cardiac arrest once)...I kill them.

rattlesnake2 by bbaker22, on Flickr
    Seems like a set of these would be a good investment:

Name:  60 inch tomahawk-200x200.jpg
Views: 851
Size:  4.8 KB

I have some and when I see a snake in the yard, I move it out into the wash... you might off one, but there's more to take their place... They keep the pack rats down too.
    It's all Here. Now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast