Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    FBI tested, NSA approved!

Rate my behavior

So two incidents in the past two days have me wondering if I'm the problem on the trail or the solution. Here's your chance to rate me on the "Jackass" scale from 0 (not that bad) to 5 (complete jackass).

Scenerio #1: 9' wide limestone trail riding with my wife. I see an on-coming cyclist and drop back but my wife is also slowing (unintentional, she can't hold a pace) and this guy is coming fast. I manage to get over to the point where my handlebar in inside my side of the trail (nothing past 4.5') so he has a full half of the available space beginning 25 feet from when he passes by. He yells out "Really!" and "Jackass" (hence the rating system).

Scenero #2: Riding a similarly constructed rails-to-trails and hit a section where both sides are washed out pretty bad (steep drop off and protruding sharp rocks). I see an on-coming cyclist so I move to the right so we both have about 1/2 of the remaining useable trail and we won't run our handlebars together (so long as he moves over too). Right as we are about to pass he locks up the brakes, gets his feet planted to recover from the panic stop and yells something about the spacial relationship between my head and rectum.

In both cases I think I was reasonable in my actions, neither rider had to depart the trail and the rider in scenero #2 would have had to yield no more space than I had he not freaked out. What say you?
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Sounds like you have a bunch of rodeies on your trail in your area...?

I don't get how people can be so B!tchy while riding..????

I am the happiest guy in the world when on my bike...I guess I'm in love with the ride not the Strava numbers or record braking pace or whatever it is that makes thease people so grumpy...I just egnor them..meh whatever dude!! Just like keyboardtuffguys online = boring

If you realy moved over like you said then = 0
    You just have a bad case of TrailJackass incounter :-)
    RIDE!!!
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

Readin & Postin since '02
    Jul 2006
    From the sounds of it, I'd say 0. Now, if you were climbing, the jackassedness goes the other way for the descender who failed to yield to you.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I have only had one time where another rider hollered at me when I was riding. Was riding down a very technical section and didn't notice the guy coming up and after he got to the top he hollered supposed to yield. Technically he was right and it was just an honest oversight on my part -I am the most yielding rider you will find on the trail. I am not a Stravahole by any means of the word.

For the most part, the two reactions I get is a greeting or they just ride like you don't exist. I say hello and have a good ride to all I see on the trail.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    I would rate it at a zero. In both cases they were descending huh? I guess they had to slow down a bit. Bummer for them...........Dumb-a....

I didn't do it
    Sounds like you need to find a new riding area. I'm rating you at a solid 0.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    Intolerance is everywhere.
    Do what you can to accommodate, shrug it off and move on.

ouch....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    exactly!
    Riding.....

thecentralscrutinizer
    If you feel you did the right thing, you're okay.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    A little different take on scenario #1; if you are yielding, yield. Give the other rider as much trail as possible, and safely as you can. I've come across 1/2 yields from bikes and hooked handlebars. When I'm yielding, I now make the effort to get out the way, and give all the trail to the oncoming rider. Riders can take up some space, especially leaning into a turn; and with wider bars now, the trail just isn't enough for the pass.

Scenario #2; stuff happens. Move on. Can't be 100% perfect all the time.
    Really steep climbs are not my forte, so I always dread that lowest gear because I figure, god, Iím doomed. - Julie Furtado

mtbr member

Re: Rate my behavior

A 9' wide trail?! 3 riders can easily fit. A little bit of yielding and possibly slowing down from both parties is all that is needed. 0 for you, 5 for the other guy

If you both could fit the width, again same procedure and score as #1.

How do these guys ride singletrack? We buzz by each other all the time around here with our handlebars clearing each other by inches. We simply slow down a bit, smile, and say "hey."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    Wrong answer. Stop giving stickweeds reason to be stickweeds. Make them stop every single time they are in the wrong until they get it. Perpetuating bad trail etiquette is shameful and says you simply don't care.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    From the sounds of it, I'd say 0. Now, if you were climbing, the jackassedness goes the other way for the descender who failed to yield to you.
    Essentially flat on both counts.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryFriend View Post
    A 9' wide trail?! 3 riders can easily fit. A little bit of yielding and possibly slowing down from both parties is all that is needed. 0 for you, 5 for the other guy

How do these guys ride singletrack? We buzz by each other all the time around here with our handlebars clearing each other by inches. We simply slow down a bit, smile, and say "hey."
    That's probably one of the problems in the Midwest, since we have so little single track folks aren't used to riding a specific line. Also, so many new recreational riders who haven't quite sorted the sport out yet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryFriend View Post

This ^
    experienced singletrack riders come much closer without incident all the time- these are novice riders who don't know the rules and think people should move out of the way. If they do this to hikers that gives us a bad image- I would polite inform them that uphill riders have the right of way and if they scoff tell them to learn how to ride...being polite would be tough in this situation though-

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    0 in both cases, your taking the other riders space in your consideration which is rare, your yielding space to the other riders and lastly your taking everyone's safety into consideration.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Each time I ride, IT's MY RIDE, my pace I get out of the way when I can. I treat each person with respect and always ask if they need help and help when the situation calls for it. Now that said, a guy yelled at my wife, but shortly after he was apologizing in the parking lot. Guess he didn't want to pull his head out of his ass!!!

0 in both!!!

Gotta pay to play
    If you were going downhill- you are a jack ass.
    If you were going uphill- you are a negative 1,000
    If you were going on flat ground- 0

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Personally I think if you're going to bring out the "jackass" rating , there needs to be a level of intent. Even if you cause a problem - and almost all of us do at one time or another - if it's just an honest mistake then there is no "jackassesness". If, however, you do something like not give enough room, don't yield to the climbing rider, brush people back out of a chip of your shoulder, sense of "the trail is all mine get out of my way I can do whatever I want" sense of entitlement, then the jackass scale comes into play.

mtbr member
    I'll give you a 2 since both times you intended to leave plenty of room for them to pass but if multiple riders are getting upset maybe you're not leaving as much room as you think.

mtbr member
    I rate you a "0" and them a "5". You were considerate of them but they were not considerate of you.

Professional Crastinator
    Make yourself scarier and more intimidating next time and you won't have to deal with them. They will pull off to the side until you and your group pass.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Locool View Post
    A little different take on scenario #1; if you are yielding, yield. Give the other rider as much trail as possible, and safely as you can. I've come across 1/2 yields from bikes and hooked handlebars. When I'm yielding, I now make the effort to get out the way, and give all the trail to the oncoming rider. Riders can take up some space, especially leaning into a turn; and with wider bars now, the trail just isn't enough for the pass.
    This, precisely this.

So, you've been cursed by oncoming cyclists twice in a row. Whatever could the problem be?

I have no interest n rating your behavior, but would encourage you to think creatively -- you've responded (twice) to oncoming riders by giving them the exact amount of space that you considered "fair" and not one jot more and gotten an extremely negative result both times. Next time, as suggested above, try giving extra space, as much as you possibly can, to an oncoming rider. Does this result in a better outcome? Let the empirical evidence be your guide.

Happy trails!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    So two incidents in the past two days have me wondering if I'm the problem on the trail or the solution. Here's your chance to rate me on the "Jackass" scale from 0 (not that bad) to 5 (complete jackass).

Scenerio #1: 9' wide limestone trail riding with my wife. I see an on-coming cyclist and drop back but my wife is also slowing (unintentional, she can't hold a pace) and this guy is coming fast. I manage to get over to the point where my handlebar in inside my side of the trail (nothing past 4.5') so he has a full half of the available space beginning 25 feet from when he passes by. He yells out "Really!" and "Jackass" (hence the rating system).

Scenero #2: Riding a similarly constructed rails-to-trails and hit a section where both sides are washed out pretty bad (steep drop off and protruding sharp rocks). I see an on-coming cyclist so I move to the right so we both have about 1/2 of the remaining useable trail and we won't run our handlebars together (so long as he moves over too). Right as we are about to pass he locks up the brakes, gets his feet planted to recover from the panic stop and yells something about the spacial relationship between my head and rectum.

In both cases I think I was reasonable in my actions, neither rider had to depart the trail and the rider in scenero #2 would have had to yield no more space than I had he not freaked out. What say you?
    In the end any pass (overtaking or opposite direction) is a good pass if both riders are still happily riding their bikes and no has to (or feels the need to dab etc).

That would result in a pass rating (say 5 to 10 on a 1 to 10 scale).

One or both riders off means a passs rating of 0 to 5.

Both riders off with yelling 1 to3

Both riders off with physical contact 0

So the pass is a 5 on number one cause everyone was still on thier bikes...but yelling occurred.

So the pass is a 3 on number two cause one off with yelling.

The concept here is you are out for a fun and enjoyable time, both riders...both but failing that one riders, need to be nice to keep it fun and enjoyable.

In my opinion one of the worst riders is a fast guy out for a fast ride, he insists on passing everyone going up, and yells at them to get off their bikes so he can pass with as little effort as possible. He then rides down the hill, and passes the uphill riders with no care if they feel they have to get off the bike....

I have been confronted with this I stayed on my bike, and yelled back pass me if you have the skills, instead of getting off he eventually passed, but was very unhappy.

mtbr member
    It would be a good thing that in Arizona we don't have many flat trails (that I ride at least)... but the god damn 90% of mtb bikers have no idea downhill needs to yield to uphill...

And for god sakes please slow down when passing hikers on the trail... I get so sick of seeing other mountain bikes blazing by hikers...
    Below Par on the Gnar

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast