Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    FBI tested, NSA approved!
    Quote Originally Posted by June Bug View Post
    This, precisely this.

So, you've been cursed by oncoming cyclists twice in a row. Whatever could the problem be?

I have no interest n rating your behavior, but would encourage you to think creatively -- you've responded (twice) to oncoming riders by giving them the exact amount of space that you considered "fair" and not one jot more and gotten an extremely negative result both times. Next time, as suggested above, try giving extra space, as much as you possibly can, to an oncoming rider. Does this result in a better outcome? Let the empirical evidence be your guide.

Happy trails!
    I don't think either situation was a matter of me yielding what I perceived as fair. In the first situation I moved as far as I could without taking out my wife (really high on the scale). In the second situation we both had use of 1/2 the available trail (really all there was without one of us taking a dive). In the second situation (to the earlier post concerning the ability of the rider), we both should have considered yielding perhaps. I assume that other adult riders are in control and capable of riding in a reasonable amount of space as parts of that trail are 9" to a foot wide for hundreds of feet at a time (with goat head thorns on both sides). The error perhaps is that he underestimated his skill and I over estimated his skill.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    some folks just get annoyed when they see people riding two-wide. I don't even feel safe walking two-wide on our local rec. trail because, ha!, roadies like to blaze down this thing at 30 mph. Back to riding; my girlfriend and I have had a discussion that if we are riding two-wide and someone aproaches, she always goes first and I drop back so there isn't any last second confusion. It seems like a petty conversation to have to have but it helps us be able to ride two-wide (when safe) without feeling like trail hogs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryFriend View Post
    A 9' wide trail?! 3 riders can easily fit. A little bit of yielding and possibly slowing down from both parties is all that is needed. 0 for you, 5 for the other guy

If you both could fit the width, again same procedure and score as #1.

How do these guys ride singletrack? We buzz by each other all the time around here with our handlebars clearing each other by inches. We simply slow down a bit, smile, and say "hey."
    Wow 9' wide trail... We don't have that here in Az. Here that is called a road (at best a "jeep road") and nobody even considers slowing down. Just move over and ride on through. Our "wide" trails are 4 feet wide and two riders can pass side by side if they both move over. The only time I see the need to stop on a true single track where there is no room to pass without going off the track or over the edge of a cliff face.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    It would be a good thing that in Arizona we don't have many flat trails (that I ride at least)... but the god damn 90% of mtb bikers have no idea downhill needs to yield to uphill...
    I see that alot at Sonoran. I think those trails bring out newer riders. On other trails I see much better understanding of the rules.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I think you did the right things. In my experience a lot of guys...especially if they deem themselves more experienced than you, expect the yielder, to slow or stop and give EXTRA room. I like to give equal room provided i assess we could both cruise through with ease. If i can see the other rider get nervous or act as such, I try to just stop and say hello, have fun.

I have been yelled at just like you in a situation where we had at least 8 feet between us on a flat fire road. The elder gentlemen just felt strongly i should stop or slow for him. Not sure why but I just chalked it up to everyone having different comfort levels and expectations. I do my best to be polite and even say sorry if another rider yields to me for any reason even if I had the right away to begin with and most of my encounters have been just as pleasant.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    good grief, you get a zero. But you need to work on your comebacks.

Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    good grief, you get a zero. But you need to work on your comebacks.
    Good point. I'm so used to engaging motorists and pedistrians that I was caught off guard by both situations. Usually my bike v. bike antics involve a roadie buzzing me from behind. I don't have a verbal for that yet, my best effort to date is catching them and screaming "on you left" if we're on pavement or locking my rear tire up if we're on limestone trails. I think the brake locking is more unnerving.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    It's better to not say anything and keep riding, exceptions might be if they caused a problem for your wife/kids riding with you. But even with that you don't want to look like a jackass in front of your family. A more neutral come back might be "there's plenty of room" and just leave it at that.

The second situation sounds like the guy had a beginner like skills and panicked, some jackasses just feel entitled and so he blamed you. For guys like that, you are better off not saying anything, hold your line and let them crash, it's the only way they learn how to improve or they quit riding as it's toot traumatic.

Overall, there's exceptions, best thing is just don't pay attention to the jackasses and keep riding.

"On your left" to me is not helpful. A one word warning really loud "Bike!!!" is better, then they can get over, almost always to the right since that's the custom for overall traffic yield in the USA, people tend to go that way unless they get confused by the "On your left" BS.

All the rules and etiquette debates on mountain biking is bit over the top to me, just overall try to be polite and avoid incidents. The trail yeilding "rules" aren't really practical/helpful most of the time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Do you pull over and stop your automobile on two lane roads when you see an oncoming vehicle?
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

Front Range, Colorado
    Forster both scenarios the other riders were the Jack asses. Case closed!

Seriously riders like that it is just a matter of time before they piss off the wrong person. Lights out!
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I've just about given up riding the local rail trail after several incidents involving poor spatial awareness and one that was straight up mean. When a guy on a road bike pushed my daughter off the trail into a marsh and I had to take a swim to fish her bike out of six feet of mosquito infested brine that was pretty much the last straw. Before I took the swim I took off and caught up to him and left him in a physically debilitated state waiting for an ambulance though.

In the woods there's rarely a problem with other riders. Hikers and horses are a different story though...

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I've just about given up riding the local rail trail after several incidents involving poor spatial awareness and one that was straight up mean. When a guy on a road bike pushed my daughter off the trail into a marsh and I had to take a swim to fish her bike out of six feet of mosquito infested brine that was pretty much the last straw. Before I took the swim I took off and caught up to him and left him in a physically debilitated state waiting for an ambulance though.

In the woods there's rarely a problem with other riders. Hikers and horses are a different story though...
    So many tough guys on the interwebz.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post

You left your daughter floundering in six feet of mosquito infested brine and ran off to go beat on some dude?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    You left your daughter floundering in six feet of mosquito infested brine and ran off to go beat on some dude?
    Toughness runs in their family, apparently.

squish, squish in da fish
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    Do you pull over and stop your automobile on two lane roads when you see an oncoming vehicle?
    yes, when i see she's texting

squish, squish in da fish
    i had a similar encounter yesterday as i was patrolling a race. i was called upon to assist an accident and the only way to get to the scene was to take a two-track that was part of the course. the course was still open to the public so basic rules apply, i did see several non racer folks on the course too. i was sprinting opposing race traffic, but riding the fringe of the 2 track and a racer comes barreling through a corner on his far left. i locked the rear and released to slingshot me over into the "rough" and he cussed me up n down as i apologized. funny thing was the next race he did, i also did, and low n behold i was tailing him. a couple tire rubs in a corner was all it took to make the pass.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelscott View Post
    If you were going downhill- you are a jack ass.
    If you were going uphill- you are a negative 1,000
    If you were going on flat ground- 0
    This.

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Read more carefully - her bike was in six feet of mosquito infested brine.

You must not have kids.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post

You must not have kids.

Sorry if I got that wrong, I admit my reading comprehension might be a little dodgy sometimes but to be fair you're no Hemingway yourself, I'm sure that I'm not the only one who read it that way.

I have kids.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post

You must not have kids.
    I have kids, too, but your post left me in a debilitated state, so much so that I rushed for an ambulance to a conclusion.

Unpredictable
    Who gives a rat's.... Riders pass on trails. I never get why there is an issue with this regardless of how it goes.

mtbr member
    easy answer:

were you climbing ? if so, you own the trail, descenders must yield

were you descending ? if so, your fault 100%

was it flat ? both of you should ease up and roll by slowly, or go way around. fault is the offending dweeb

in any case it sounds like the other peeps are on a training mission and too adrenaline pumped and 'point break attitude'

I used to be this way a TON until I finally figured out that my super hard training must be solo or indoors or on road, and on the trail I can ride hard but 'I must totally accept' having to slow down or even stop for others. So...now I have my pain cave I am a fair bit nicer on the trails. others may be the same as me, not intending to be dic*s, but when on trail they want to keep tha hammer down.

mtbr member
    You did nothing wrong. Riders who know what they're doing don't have conflicts like this. It is my opinion that there are too many wanna-be's riding too fast on rail trails. IMO rail trail riding is about a casual pace, watching and enjoying the (usually) happy faces on the others, not setting a personal best at the expense of everyone else using the trail.
    To appreciate the flowers you must also walk among s**t to know the difference

mtbr member
    The idea of the ascending rider _always_ having the ROW is silly. It depends on the situation.

If someone is on a 9' wide trail with no obstacles and easy passing lines, just slow down a bit, yield some space, and pass by each other.

I like what Mrwhlr said about cars driving in opposite directions. If there is enough space on the trail, no one should have to completely stop and get off the trail.

Met a couple on the trail and they decided to ride the right and left limits of a paved trail (at least 10' wide) which wasn't too bad but they were approaching around a blind corner. I shot the gap and hoped for the best.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast