Thread: Raleigh Brand

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Raleigh Brand

Hi!

I am looking at buying a new mountain bike and am really leaning towards the Raleigh Eva 7.5 27.5, but don't know much about Raleigh except for a cheap/negative image. The shop tech informed me that Raleigh has really upped their game over the last couple of years. Is this true?

Please HELP!

Thank you!
    Krenee

mtbr member
    Raleigh is a decent bike. Owned I believe by Accel who also owns several other brands.
    In looking for a bike for my oldest daughter, the Eva looked like it's very similar in specs to others in its price range. Giant Tempt and the specialized Myka were the others we looked at.
    Not sure if this helps or not...

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    It does...I am pretty rough on my bikes and need something that will be tollarable to my riding adventures. I've been riding a used Specialized Rockhopper 26'' for over 6 years, taking a 3 year or so hiatus in between. I want to move up to a 27.5 but really don't want to spend more than $1200 on a hardtail.

I'll look into those other bikes.

Thank you!

BBB STYLEE
    my ex g/f had that an Eva in a 26. Aside from her being stubborn and hard headed, I liked the bike she had! 6:

She is very fast in the trails and that Raleigh was plenty good for her abilities! I'd recommend that bike if you're a novice/intermediate rider looking for a hardtail!
    Im referred to as a BBBM. Big Beautiful Beard Man.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Just joined the forum - Let me know if I should just create a separate post, but I wonder if you got the Eva and what you thought of its quality, Krenee? I'm thinking of the Tokul 1 now, haven't been biking for years, but I like the $600 price point and it has the things I *think* I'm looking for...
    Raleigh Bicycles - Tokul 1

namely: front suspension, disc brakes, 27.5", and non-SRAM shifters. The 120mm travel is a plus, dunno if it has lockout tho (a plus but not a must).

Do the components seem reasonable/decent for the price?

(Anyone with experience is welcome to answer these questions, fwiw)
    Last edited by frspirit; 05-05-2014 at 08:25 AM. Reason: had an addendum

mtbr member
    Raleigh is one of the oldest bike brands around along with Bianchi. They were a very prominent road bike brand in the 80s and I actually had one. As of today, they're not the brand that they were 20 years ago, but they're definitely coming back. Their Talus 29er has gotten great reviews and is putting them back on the bicycle map.

Resident Gear Head
    My friend just bought a Tokul and he really likes it. Its HEAVYYYY!!! I couldnt believe how heavy it was when I lifted it onto my bike rack, and I am not used to riding light carbon bikes either. Aside from the weight, I think he paid about 700$ after tax and at that price its a pretty nice bike
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

mtbr member
    I got my first Raleigh about 4 years ago, and would not hesitate to get another. Kind of looking at the Eva for my wife as well. They are hard to beat for the components/price point. The first one I got was heavy too, but you get what you pay for. Mine only cost $700, but a wheel upgrade really helped, and the handling has always been good. Better than my Niner in some aspects, not in others.

mtbr member

Re: Raleigh Brand

Same company as Diamondback. DB has been putting out some sweet bikes in the higher end, with the Mason HT and FS, and now tbe new Mission 27.5.

Decent, value oriented brand. Limited dealer network?

mtbr member
    I had a vintage Raleigh for an around town bike which I gave to my brother who lives in Portlandia. There is a lot of Raleigh's in Portland...

mtbr member
    I had a Raleigh M50 in the 1990s that I fitted with XT cannibalized used parts from a LBS. It worked well. Last week I bought a Raleigh Talus 29 Sport. It works well. I was told the early Raleigh 29er had geometry issues, but I can't testify to that.

mtbr member
    Have 5 Raleigh's out of 8 bikes. My go to bike is a 2009 XXIX. Yes, I long ago killed all of the oem components, but I got more than my monies worth out of it. A great value for an entry level bike.

Resident Gear Head
    Just an update on my friends Tokul 2, its a piece of crap. Fork seals leak, chain broken twice, derailleur and hanger broke, and the brakes howl. I know its an entry level bike at $750 but I can think of many other entry level bikes that are way better.
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

mtbr member
    May 2005
    None of those things except the hanger are made by Raleigh.