the cool nerd

radair visits los alamos

and rides in the rad[SIZE="1"]ioactive[/SIZE] air

the timing of his vacation ride coincides with a regular after-work ride headed by NuMexJoe, who rode his newly built, and currently singlespeeded, pastel-blue Retrotec..

NMJ pulled radair up the dickless trail..

after which we climbed the biggest climbs of the day, leaving radair nonplussed

there were other riders along as well, in total 3 ssers and 4 gearies..

here a gearie in a bmx helmet gets some rad air

"The search for a perfect pint should take lifetime." M.Jackson

Ride bikes, not goats. Just good advice

the cool nerd
    radair lived up to his dirt rag write-up, and supervised as NuMexJoe cleared branches from a log to make it rideable

but NMJ still had trouble riding his retrotec across the off-camber log ride..

one last shot of radair playing on a rock before descending dickless

afterwards we met the entire radair family while enjoying post-ride libations on the edge of a canyon, in a picture free zone...

It was nice meeting you and your family!

contains quinine
    Looks like some great riding, but I have to wonder:

NuMexJoe and DaveM: Seperated at birth?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    More pics of that Retrotec please
    Inbred. Steel is Real.

Kearsarge crawler
    Nice shots, where was the family truckster off to next?
    Your bike can take you anywhere, anytime, over any terrain but, you have to force it to GK 2004. BB1, who started it?

the cool nerd
    unknown, they were contemplating a run up to some hot springs....

hmmmm.. hot springs....

about the retrotec, the next time that I ride with NMJ I'll take some retro shots, or he can post them himself, I'm sure he has lots of them. You may want to look in the 29er forum

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    Kindred spirits, maybe, but not twins. When I grow a mustache it doesn't look nearly as cool as Dave's.

Quote Originally Posted by Debaser
    Looks like some great riding, but I have to wonder:

NuMexJoe and DaveM: Seperated at birth?

mtbr member

Los Alamos

Out of all the places Gabe and i visited a couple of years ago Los Alamos was our favorite. I guess i shouldnt tell anyone that the trip included Sante Fe, Taos, Los Alamos and Durango.....I guess the secrets getting out.

abnormally aspirated
    Jun 2005
    sportsman, looks like good times down in NM ... I'll hopefully make it down sometime to ride and visit Wzl... we'll have to hook up.

Will you be joining the crew in Moab this weekend? I'll be there this weekend and next...

the cool nerd
    Quote Originally Posted by brettf
    sportsman, looks like good times down in NM ... I'll hopefully make it down sometime to ride and visit Wzl... we'll have to hook up.

Will you be joining the crew in Moab this weekend? I'll be there this weekend and next...

it is good riding down here, at least until the trails close. and the latest rumor that I've heard (should excite all of you other NMicans) is that the Los Alamos country trails will NOT close when the forests close. They've decided that with all the money spent over the past 5 years on thinning and preventitive maintenance, our trails should be safe and just fine...

woohoo....

I can ;t make it to Moab, this weekend or next. and it's too bad because I have a new, temporary toy to ride for the weekend, it's a bike built by monument cycles in C.Springs, essentially it is a santa cruz superlight. I just have to remember how to shift and get used to suspension again...

the cool nerd
    shhhhhhhhhh...

if people keep coming here to ride, I might have to yield the right of way on a trail one day....

mtbr member
    That Retrotec is crying for a nice rigid fork on there.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    Maybe so, but then the old man riding it would be crying instead!

Quote Originally Posted by SSweetleaf
    That Retrotec is crying for a nice rigid fork on there.

beer thief
    Thank you for the fine hospitality (and thanks Joe for picking up my gear)! We love your little town, it's sort of like ours in many ways, but also very different. I had a great time hooking up with AndyN, Leo, and Glenzx also. I had hoped to ride with Timo but it appears I'm running out of time.

We have had such a fun time - more family time than riding time, but that's not a bad thing. I have a bunch of photos, but can't DL them until I get home.

Thorns! I have fixed 3 flats today and have another to take care of before this evening's ride! More flats than I've had in the past 10 years combined. Seriously.

Got to go play putt-putt.

Got A Lust for Life...
    Sweetleaf...your avatar is killing me!
    I am immune to your disdain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by radair
    I had hoped to ride with Timo but it appears I'm running out of time.
    Hi Rob!.....Glad to see you made it NM, and I am sorry that I did not get to ride with you guys. After the SYDC, I've been out of state on the left coast finding ways to punish myself (and my bike, unfortunately). ;-)

New Mexico AND New England both have some pretty interesting rides, eh? For all the stuff the locals in Rhode Island told me they were getting tired of, I absolutely enjoyed. And alas, I've found myself taking some of my local rides for granted in the past. Good vacation choice, as the difference between our riding areas really is amazing.

Hope to finally meet you sometime...

Matt

abnormally aspirated
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sportsman
    it is good riding down here, at least until the trails close. and the latest rumor that I've heard (should excite all of you other NMicans) is that the Los Alamos country trails will NOT close when the forests close. They've decided that with all the money spent over the past 5 years on thinning and preventitive maintenance, our trails should be safe and just fine...

woohoo....

I can ;t make it to Moab, this weekend or next. and it's too bad because I have a new, temporary toy to ride for the weekend, it's a bike built by monument cycles in C.Springs, essentially it is a santa cruz superlight. I just have to remember how to shift and get used to suspension again...
    Been hearing more and more about the trails in Los Alamos... we'll have to make a stop down there one of these days.

Moab was dope this weekend. A little hot for my tastes, but that probably means it was *almost* warm enough for you NM folk Some of us will be out there next weekend too... something good about that desert grit in my blood...

werd