Thread: R.i.c.e.

Des(s)ert Rat

R.i.c.e.

I sprained my ankle on Sunday and have strictly adhered to the RICE protocol for injuries:

Rest: I try to get at least 5 hours of sleep each night
    Ice: I've been eating ice cream and drinking ice water.
    Compression: I wear an Ace bandage while I ride.
    Elevation: I achieve this by jumping my bike.

For a gimpy week it hasn't been too bad. After spraining my ankle on Sunday on a ride, I was still able to get out and ride Tuesday, Wednesday, and went on the urban ride last night.

mtbr member

I love the beauty of cycling...

Quote Originally Posted by screampint
    I sprained my ankle on Sunday and have strictly adhered to the RICE protocol for injuries:

For a gimpy week it hasn't been too bad. After spraining my ankle on Sunday on a ride, I was still able to get out and ride Tuesday, Wednesday, and went on the urban ride last night.
    ... even with a gimply ankle one can still get out and ride ...if even road riding. With my baseball league (...and age... ) a sprained ankle takes me out a good two weeks. Though I do need to remember "your" R.I.C.E.methodology. Somehow, the idea ice cream in the tummy feels a lot more comfortable than ICE on the body.

Randy

i worship Mr T

i thought R.I.C.E. stood for

Rest
    (and)
    Ice
    Cream
    Everyday

rt
    [SIZE="2"]"where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]*rt*'s fabulous blog[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]mm blogging[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Part-time rider
    Don't forget Advils! If you haven't done so already, taking ibuprofin three times a day (with meals) helps with swelling. I used to sprain my ankle a lot while running cross country, so I feel ya pain.

K-Zero
    "It's not how good you are, it's how good you want to be"

"Mr. Britannica"

no wonder you're so chubby

Kearsarge crawler
    I think Ben and Jerry's would have a blast with the internal cryogenic therapy ad campain. You might be on to something screampint.
    Your bike can take you anywhere, anytime, over any terrain but, you have to force it to GK 2004. BB1, who started it?

Des(s)ert Rat
    Hmmm... Maybe I should modify my rehabilitation procedures.

Des(s)ert Rat
    Think the government would grant me monies for research? All the free ice cream I could handle!

Des(s)ert Rat
    I ran cross country, too. But that was B.C. Funny thing is, I always come through the trail running unscathed; it was on the pavement back to the locker room that I would trip on a crack and sprain an ankle.

Kearsarge crawler
    Think the government would grant me monies for research? All the free ice cream I could handle!
    They have taken bigger risks with our money. Maybe this method should only be used with injuries that don't keep you off the bike. Could be hard to overcome the side effects from the treatment.
    Your bike can take you anywhere, anytime, over any terrain but, you have to force it to GK 2004. BB1, who started it?

More Chasmism

Sorry To Hear...

...about your ankle. I sprained mine pretty significantly for the first time ever 6 weeks ago, and only yesterday did I undertake my first Bullit ride. It was nothing but hardtail spinning for weeks prior to that. Of course, today I spent six hours walking around the desert working on routes. Not good for the ankle at all, so right now I like you am doing the ice thing.

Heal quickly.

hfly

banned
    Jan 2004

Good job! You may be one of the toughest bikin' moms on mtbr Scream,...

...and it's not the jumps that hurt, just bad landings, after all, to air is human.

Des(s)ert Rat
    First time ever!? Wow! I can't recall how many times I've sprained an ankle. My current sprain doesn't sound nearly as bad as yours. There are definitely different degrees of spraining, and I'm not in too bad of shape. City Market has Ben and Jerry's on sale, if you're looking for that kind of "ice."

Des(s)ert Rat
    Naw, I'm just tenacious, holding on to sanity. If I didn't ride I'd lose it, what kind of mom would I be then?