mtbr member

Qusetion for BMX types

My son is getting into BMX bikes and dirt jumping and stuff along those lines. Does
    anybody know of a web page like this one, or any good web sites, for BMX?

Thanks.

Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
    Quote Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
    My son is getting into BMX bikes and dirt jumping and stuff along those lines. Does
    anybody know of a web page like this one, or any good web sites, for BMX?

Thanks.
    Top-notch BMX e-tailer: www.danscomp.com

National Bike League - links to tracks, etc.: http://www.nbl.org

There used to be a BMX page on this site, but it seems to be AWOL.

Have fun!
    Kathy
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.

I sweep myself

My BMX 2 cents...

This is my first post so if it don't work - sorry.

Don't ride BMX anymore but I still check out these sites on a pretty regular basis and there are links off of these to others:

www.bmxmania.com (the guy who runs this site is an older cruiser racer and real nice guy)
    www.bmxbasement.com
    www.idcbmx.com (some of the best race shots on the web - friend of mine has ended up on here a bunch of times)
    www.bmxonline.com (commerical site from Transworld BMX mag but still ok)

For what it's worth - I had to give up BMX (a lot of racing, but park riding, etc. too) a couple of years ago but I really miss it. Started when I was 12, quit when I hit college and the sport waned, came back to it at 28 and raced until I blew the back out at 32 (a degenerative thing, not racing related.) I've met some of the most genuine people thru BMX; one of my best friends today is a guy I've known since meeting him at the races when I was 14. I could go on for days about it but I'm too lazy to type that much, I'll just say I highly recommend the sport for all kinds of reasons.

If you really want to check out racing go the the NBL site mentioned before or the ABA at www.ababmx.com. NBL is bigger on the ec and midwest, ABA bigger on the wc but they do both have tracks all over. Go to the local track and watch the races and try to meet the parents that have kids about the age of yours. The races are all by age group and proficiency and you'll be able to tell who they are because they'll be yelling for their kid the whole way 'round the track.

If he's into it, talk to the track people after the races (they're usually too busy during) and ask about a 30-day temp licenses. Get him a decent bike and good helmet and have at it. Ask around too about any clinics that might be going on at the track - usually a local team and couple of hot racers will put these on, it'll give him a quick skills jumpstart.

Also find out about practice times at the track - they usually have a week night where you can ride the track, practice gates, etc. without the pressure of racing. Good way to get the feel of the track before race day.

Good luck and have a blast with it, I know I always did. My 3 year old daughter wants to race like daddy did, if her training wheels come off this summer we just might see you out there...