Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Quit my job/moving to Utah passion.

Life is short. Live it like you stole it.

Next Friday is my last final, and after that, I hadn't planned on much this summer except for working at my crappy part time job and doing one or two of the local xc races.

my little brother is a ski bum out in park city and came back for a visit at the end of the season at PCMR. He and his friends are getting a new place and have an open bedroom.

Just turned in my 2 weeks notice and bought a train ticket to Salt Lake.

mtbr member
    Congrats! Ride bikes, drink beer, get laid,....repeat!

Just Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by zgroove View Post
    ha, ha, hell yea!

To the OP, enjoy your one way ticket!
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    i need to grow a pair and do this. Good for you and congrats

I hate my job and i hate NYC

CHEERS!

Team Livemedium
    Quote Originally Posted by zgroove View Post

Be careful though, one of those could really cut into the time to do the other two if you aren't careful.
    Actually two could.
    Damn all three could.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jredone View Post
    I hate my job and i hate NYC.
    I left NYC 11 years ago next month. I have always had a love/hate relationship with the city, but I think I have finally come to realize that I don't ever want to move back there again.

There are truly some awesome places in this country to live, and fortunate for me I have a job I love that allows me to move every 3 to 6 years. Currently I reside in Alaska, and in 2 to 3 years I will be moving to California or Hawaii.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Move to Cali and visit Hi.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hell yeah! That's doing it right.

mtbr member
    I'm 48 years old. I'm very happily married with 4 great kids. I have a fantastic job as an executive in a startup logistics company that's doing very well.

I have only two regrets in my entire life.

Regret 1: I did a horrible job of proposing to my wife. I didn't make a big deal of it and she deserved better. You only get one shot at that. Our 25th anniversary is approaching and I'm thinking of doing a proposal the right way. But it still won't change the original one.

Regret 2: When I left the Army at age 26, I aggressively pursued a high paying corporate job. My wife, who is a nurse, made me an amazing offer (I was obsessed with mogul skiing and mountain biking at the time). She had managed to wrangle a traveling nursing job in Gunnison, CO, that came with a paid apartment. She could support us for a year while I skied and biked. I turned her down thinking that a year gap in my resume would preclude me from ever getting the high paying corporate job I wanted. I now realize how wrong I was.

You are making a good decision. Enjoy.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Thanks, KevinGT. I appreciate the advice.
    Who were you with? I was in 1st Cav for a bit.

mtbr member
    awesome!

two years ago i was driving from washington state to bakersfield for a project my company had going on around there. half way there i quit over the phone, took a left and drove to salt lake to be a ski bum again. it ended up being a big, big snow year. i stayed for about a year and now have a better job with a better company making better money.
    you gotta do what makes you happy (see my signature).

go fast and take chances!
    Quit my job/moving to Utah passion.-p3280917.jpg
    "if you can't be good, be good at it."

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    AWESOME....live it up

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phirebug View Post
    Thanks, KevinGT. I appreciate the advice.
    Who were you with? I was in 1st Cav for a bit.
    2-7 Cav in the 4th ID. Stationed at Ft. Carson for 3 years before I got out.

Garry Owen!
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    3-8 at Ft. Hood. If you ain't Cav...

two wheel whore
    Oh to be your age! The best of luck in your next chapter!

mtbr member
    3-8 at Ft. Hood. If you ain't Cav...
    you ain't ****!

pin it
    It seems like an amazing opportunity...
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Ski bum for life!

Well, I don't snowboard as much as I used to but I still get out ~30 days a year. We started ski bumming in 1994 and there's no end in sight, I work in cities from time to time, but I am always very glad to come home to the mountains.

My outdoor gear actually gets worn out

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Smile grow a pair

Quote Originally Posted by alanamhb View Post
    i need to grow a pair and do this. Good for you and congrats
    I'm not leaving my work, but can't afford to live in sydney so next week am moving into the blue mountains. and the start to the famous oaks trail will be within 1km of my new place as well as other rides within short distance

mtbr member
    Good luck with your next life in Utah! I lived there for 20 years (still not a Mormon) before I moved to CA. Had some of the best memories ever in SLC. Skied my ass off and even won the Division I NCAA National skiing title while coaching at the U of U in 1981. Felt good to blow the CU Buffs out of the water, finally!

Ride the Wasatch Crest Trail this summer starting in Big Cottonwood canyon up near Guardsmens pass. The ride will end in Mill Creek Canyon. You'll need a pick up car, unless you want to be totally gonzo gnarly and ride the whole thing. Also, it has an Odd-Even day restriction too as I remember. It is one hell of a ride! Altitude can be a problem too. Just don't get trashed the night before and attempt to ride the first climb. You can also access this trail from PC. Plan a day of it.

The desert will be too hot by the time you move, but hit Moab and Fruita in the later fall and spring. Fall time is the best. The San Rafael Swell is very remote too. Never did get to ride western Utah near St George. There wasn't any riding back then in the early
    90's.

If you love beer beware everything purchased in grocery stores is 3.2%. You'll need to get a non-Mormon to show you the ropes how to get wine and regular brew. Word to the wise: If you go fishing with Mormons make sure you take two with you for if you go with one, he'll drink all your beer.

Again congratulations on your decision. Life is too Fu*king short to hate what you do. I'm 66 and have done many things, but the greatest thing I have done for myself was to enjoy life. If one is not, then it's time to change it before you have regrets.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mevadus View Post
    I left NYC 11 years ago next month. I have always had a love/hate relationship with the city, but I think I have finally come to realize that I don't ever want to move back there again.

There are truly some awesome places in this country to live, and fortunate for me I have a job I love that allows me to move every 3 to 6 years. Currently I reside in Alaska, and in 2 to 3 years I will be moving to California or Hawaii.
    This is an interesting thread. We have lived in Westchester County, NY since 2004 and I cannot wait to move. Luckily, we can take our jobs with us. At the same time my wife wants to finish her school and get a degree in order to become a Physician Assistant but it means another 3 years in NY. We are 35 and 32. WE have no debts, no house, decent savings and invest 30 percent of our pays into savings.

Our company has office in most states but we could work from home. These are our choices: Arizona, Florida, Nevada, Texas, Oregon, California, Colorado, Washington or Hawaii.

We want warm weather, low taxes (California is out?), outdoors (cycling road and cross country) and we love water (swimming etc). We are really at loss for the time being.
    “You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.”

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RooHarris View Post
    You'll need to get a non-Mormon to show you the ropes how to get wine and regular brew.
    There is no trick to it, just get your beer from a state run liquor store, they sell full strength beer and their prices are about the same as anywhere else.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Life is short. Live it like you stole it.

Next Friday is my last final, and after that, I hadn't planned on much this summer except for working at my crappy part time job and doing one or two of the local xc races.

my little brother is a ski bum out in park city and came back for a visit at the end of the season at PCMR. He and his friends are getting a new place and have an open bedroom.

Just turned in my 2 weeks notice and bought a train ticket to Salt Lake.
    Awesome, I wish I was that brave. I admire people like you..

mtbr member

I can fully commiserate with you.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickK View Post
    This is an interesting thread. We have lived in Westchester County, NY since 2004 and I cannot wait to move. Luckily, we can take our jobs with us. At the same time my wife wants to finish her school and get a degree in order to become a Physician Assistant but it means another 3 years in NY. We are 35 and 32. WE have no debts, no house, decent savings and invest 30 percent of our pays into savings.

Our company has office in most states but we could work from home. These are our choices: Arizona, Florida, Nevada, Texas, Oregon, California, Colorado, Washington or Hawaii.

We want warm weather, low taxes (California is out?), outdoors (cycling road and cross country) and we love water (swimming etc). We are really at loss for the time being.
    I can fully commiserate with you. I was born in the east (MA), lived in CT and went to school in Vermont. It's lovely country! But, I left it all after 29 years of living under a small sky. Moved to Wyoming where I got blown out of the Gem City (Laramie) of the plains for work in SLC at the Uni of Utah. While living in Utah (20 years) I went from a profession in professional skiing to the dreaded financial district (Merrill Lynchem) and eventually to a more satisfying profession in teaching.

Since then, my wife and I moved to Sisters, Oregon for 3 years, but got blown out of there too. I don't do well with continuous prevailing winds. Central OR is beautiful in the summer especially for biking. Bend is one of the best areas for MTB riding. It's a young person's yuppie community of hard core outside fitness folk. Great brew pubs (10 Barrel). Alpine skiing is marginal at the resorts while back country 3 pin stuff is a hoot. If you want killer powder skiing, moved to Utah. 3% powder to ski not snort. 3.2% beer is not worth the price you pay for it.

No matter how you look at taxes, the states will all be about the same. Please don't let that preclude your dreams what so ever. California really has it all except outside people's perception of us. I have lived in so many places from NH to FL to TX to et all. I have never been so happy living in one place like CA.

Reconsider California... The nation's foods come from here. Brew pubs abound! Some of the best minds in the world have gone through our halls of learning. On top of that mountain biking is good.

Quit my job/moving to Utah passion.-nick2-copy.jpg

Come to the Mendocino Coast for a visit. We are the quintessential Mediterranean environment according to Luther Burbank who once lived in Santa Rosa.

Two hours north is the Mendocino coast and great year round riding. Great kayaking too.

Quit my job/moving to Utah passion.-mendocino-bay.jpg

One suggestion: pick a dozen places to visit. Go in their best and worst seasons. It's a lot cheaper in the long run.

I wish I had done that in OR.

I wish you the best in your search.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post
    There is no trick to it, just get your beer from a state run liquor store, they sell full strength beer and their prices are about the same as anywhere else.
    Jack is absolutely right. Liquor stores are strategically placed throughout the state to confound any sensible adult. There was a Utah bumper sticker that said:

"Legalize Adulthood!"

The liquor laws did change in anticipation of the 2002 Olympic games. The Head Prophet (Profit?) must have had a revelation on that one. One thing we missed was brown bagging which was half the fun. State liquor stores are for full strength beers, wines and hard stuff. Just make sure you have one near where you're living. Can be some what hard to find. Oh, those tricky folks in Utah... I think there is only one in PC as I remember. Then, I escaped...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast